Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old April 6, 2019   #1
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default The best thing you never ate!!!!!

Well, you might have if you travel.

This dish is inspired by watching Mark Wiens visit to Sri Lanka eating crab curry. It looked so good I had to have it and so the journey began. I watched many videos, read recipes and researched till I knew the basic dish and then took it to another level.

I don't know what to call it except Addictive.

It all starts with seafood, any seafood you like. Today I used frozen gumbo crabs which means they're just small crabs, it gives the broth an excellent flavor. I've been using a frozen Paella seafood mix from the grocery store but today they had Little Neck clams so I tried those along with frozen snow crabs and fresh shrimp.

I peeled the shrimp and used scissors to cut all the small crabs legs off and used that to make a stock. Just add water and bring to a boil then reduce to a very light simmer and cook for an hour then strain. Longer is better but I didn't plan ahead.

Here's all the other ingredients.
2 carrots grated
about a thumb size piece of ginger chopped fine
1 medium onion chopped fine
about a 1.5" of cilantro stalks chopped fine. I cut off the ends and use the fresh stalks
1 medium sized tomato diced.

I cleaned all the seafood and cracked the shells so the broth will penetrate the meat. The shrimp were deviened and the clams were rinsed and checked for dead ones. You can see the broth strained and it's about 2.5 cups.

These are the seasonings and sauces you need, I'll explain when to add them as I go.

I started with about 2 tbs of canola oil over medium high heat then added onions and carrots. Sweat those down a few minutes till soft and add the other veggies and cook till all of the liquid is evaporated. Then add 1 tsp of Garam Marsala and the yellow curry powder, stir to incorporate then add 1 tbs of the Tom Yum soup base and stir it in, it should look like this and the house will smell like an Indian kitchen!!

Add the seafood stock and simmer over medium heat till reduced, this step is important to cook the veggies down and make the sauce thick without adding a thickening agent.

This is what you're looking for, a nice thick almost paste texture. It should cover the pan in a few seconds after swiping the spoon across the pan. Be careful not to burn it or you'll have to start over after all this work.

Now add the coconut cream or you can use a can of coconut milk, both work equally well. Add that heaping spoon of hot pepper paste and 2 tbs of the Sambal. Stir it in with 2 cups of water and simmer on a low boil then add the seafood.

Now is the time to start your noodles, I'm using this brand but any noodles will work. I try to find the smallest noodles I can at the Asian store. It's also good on white rice so cook what you like. The trick to make these noodles better is to cool them off after cooking with cold water and set them aside to dry out some so they suck that awesome broth in. Fresh noodles cook in a few minutes compared to dried so plan ahaed if you're using dried noodles.

It should look like this when done and time to eat.

Top off the plate with fresh cilantro, green onions and more Sambal. Yes there's noddles under there

All that work to get to this point but it's worth it. You won't believe how good this is till you make it.

I hope everyone tries this at least once and if you do you'll know what you've been missing.
Old April 7, 2019   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
Well, you might have if you travel.

This dish is inspired by watching Mark Wiens visit to Sri Lanka eating crab curry. It looked so good I had to have it and so the journey began. I watched many videos, read recipes and researched till I knew the basic dish and then took it to another level.

I don't know what to call it except Addictive.

It all starts with seafood, any seafood you like. Today I used frozen gumbo crabs which means they're just small crabs, it gives the broth an excellent flavor. I've been using a frozen Paella seafood mix from the grocery store but today they had Little Neck clams so I tried those along with frozen snow crabs and fresh shrimp.

I peeled the shrimp and used scissors to cut all the small crabs legs off and used that to make a stock. Just add water and bring to a boil then reduce to a very light simmer and cook for an hour then strain. Longer is better but I didn't plan ahead.

Here's all the other ingredients.
2 carrots grated
about a thumb size piece of ginger chopped fine
1 medium onion chopped fine
about a 1.5" of cilantro stalks chopped fine. I cut off the ends and use the fresh stalks
1 medium sized tomato diced.

I cleaned all the seafood and cracked the shells so the broth will penetrate the meat. The shrimp were deviened and the clams were rinsed and checked for dead ones. You can see the broth strained and it's about 2.5 cups.

These are the seasonings and sauces you need, I'll explain when to add them as I go.

I started with about 2 tbs of canola oil over medium high heat then added onions and carrots. Sweat those down a few minutes till soft and add the other veggies and cook till all of the liquid is evaporated. Then add 1 tsp of Garam Marsala and the yellow curry powder, stir to incorporate then add 1 tbs of the Tom Yum soup base and stir it in, it should look like this and the house will smell like an Indian kitchen!!

Add the seafood stock and simmer over medium heat till reduced, this step is important to cook the veggies down and make the sauce thick without adding a thickening agent.

This is what you're looking for, a nice thick almost paste texture. It should cover the pan in a few seconds after swiping the spoon across the pan. Be careful not to burn it or you'll have to start over after all this work.

Now add the coconut cream or you can use a can of coconut milk, both work equally well. Add that heaping spoon of hot pepper paste and 2 tbs of the Sambal. Stir it in with 2 cups of water and simmer on a low boil then add the seafood.

Now is the time to start your noodles, I'm using this brand but any noodles will work. I try to find the smallest noodles I can at the Asian store. It's also good on white rice so cook what you like. The trick to make these noodles better is to cool them off after cooking with cold water and set them aside to dry out some so they suck that awesome broth in. Fresh noodles cook in a few minutes compared to dried so plan ahaed if you're using dried noodles.

It should look like this when done and time to eat.

Top off the plate with fresh cilantro, green onions and more Sambal. Yes there's noddles under there

All that work to get to this point but it's worth it. You won't believe how good this is till you make it.

I hope everyone tries this at least once and if you do you'll know what you've been missing.
OMG Rob, that looks incredible!!!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
There is a fine line between genius and crazy.
I like to use that line as a jump rope.

~Anonymous (but I totally agree with this! LOL)

Forgive and Forget? I'm neither Jesus or nor do I have Alzheimers.

~ Anonymous

Until he extends his circle of compassion to include all living things, man will not himself find peace.

-- Dr. Albert Schweitzer
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #3
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I haven't tried it yet I already believe it tastes good
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #4
PlainJane

That looks unbelievably good. And thanks for the clear step by step with photos!
Old April 7, 2019   #5
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

Rajun,

How about soft shell crab instead of the small crabs. I always like the soft shell crabs in Louisiana because you can eat them shell and all. I never could got used to picking the meat out of the blue crabs. My favorite meal at Ralph & Kacoo's in Baton Rouge was soft shell crab poboy and turtle soup with sherry.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All you need is sitar music playing.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2019   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-f1DNyngKVY

Last edited by Worth1; April 8, 2019 at 12:04 AM.
Old April 8, 2019   #8
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You should consider making your own curry powder too.
Old April 10, 2019   #9
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

The best things I've never eaten are real Baluga Caviar, real mid eastern saffron; and black truffle. The dish rajun made may be better than any of those and I've not eaten it either.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2019   #10
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Soft shell crabs might be in the next one. I can see how that would be good and easy to eat but I may have to fry them to get that salty crust combined with the sauce. We'll see when the time comes. The good news is the Fam likes it but complained about it being too spicy so I can adjust mine with some Sambal in my plate instead of in the sauce.

Once again, when you eat this it's a life changing food experience. A flavor explosion and after you finish eating you're thinking of the next time you can eat it again.

You guys close to Houston need to try this, I just saw it but I know my next boil will be sauced up. It's the ultimate Asian style Bang Bang crawfish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Rk8BdXJBUI

And a little more info you probably didn't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efNFAEleGnM