Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 1, 2015   #1
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Default Hardening Process

Okay, I get that the process starts with a few hours and building the seedlings ability to go in the garden. How long does this process take? A week? Two weeks?

Thanks,

Dan
Old May 1, 2015   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Dan, I'll tell you what I do, maybe that will be useful.
First day, full shade
Next day, 20 min sun, then full shade
Third day 40 min
Then 60,
Then 2 hrs,
Then 4,
Then 6,
Then full sun thereafter. Adjust that if your plants seem to be wilting or show signs of stress. Watch there mousture bery carefully to keep it moderate, not too wet as water can heat up, but not bone dry either.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2015   #3
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I am not as gentle as some people with their plants, but I am not bringing outside from under lights to get the process started, either. I am growing in a greenhouse, but there is still the need to toughen them up a bit. Is it full sun for you or a cloudy day, windy or calm, full sun all day or morning or afternoon sun? Variable abound for all of us and we need to watch the weather for the day. I put mine out next to the greenhouse the other day because they were getting too tall for me and a little wimpy in the stem. I then cover the plants at nighttime with row cover to keep them from getting too cold, but during the day they get 12:00 to evening sun, a little wind and I watch for watering daily. They have really developed nice stems since they are getting the wind on them, but are still a little sheltered. On the first day it was the afternoon that I put them out. It was a little cool and not windy. I placed wire hoops over them and covered them with floating row cover overnight. The next couple days were cool and cloudy. I uncover them for the day and covered them at night. When I plant in the garden I usually plant in the evening and cover the plants if it is early in the season (before the frost date), once again with row cover for a few days before putting the cages over the plants. It helps get them grow roots and able to fend for themselves without stressing over the ability to suck up moisture from the garden in full sun. Watch your weather and don't let them set in direct sun and underwatered for the first few days. I don't think the process should take more than a 5-7 days for really tender plants. I don't move them in and out unless the temperatures are supposed to plummet to frost/ freezing. I have a fairly heavy rowcover to use, too.
Old May 1, 2015   #4
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.
Old May 3, 2015   #5
WhippoorwillG
Tomatovillian™

While I do harden off on most occasions, a product called Surround that I get from Johnny's has been my answer for any plants that aren't fully hardened off. It helps with sun scald and soft bodied pests. Dip a tray in a solution (actually suspension) of Surround and sun scald isn't a problem.

Whippoorwill Gardens
WhippoorwillG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2015   #6
walkertrex
Tomatovillian™

I'm afraid my process is not very scientific. I set mine out during the daytime on a North facing porch that has partial, filtered sun. From there, they graduate to a spot in my South facing yard that is somewhat shaded by a large Maple tree for part of the day. I keep everyone watered and happy as best I can. Then I plant them in the ground (full sun, South facing yard) on or just after Mother's Day.

On a similar note- I am so envious of everyone in the warmer areas who are further into their season. Can't wait to get the season started here in earnest!! The Spring veggies don't seem quite as official
walkertrex is offline   Reply With Quote