Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old November 16, 2017   #61
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Patti ..They are but I have to get some fans on them...I planted them so deep in the drum that air will have to come from above them ...Regards Ron
murihikukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17, 2017   #62
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I know that those drums are heavy, but if you filled them up higher with soil your plants would have more room to make roots, they would get more light and be easier to get a fan on them. You are only utilizing half of your growing space by filling them half way. You might also want to look into finding some lighter weight growing pots if weight is an issue.

Just my opinion on the matter.
Old November 17, 2017   #63
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
I know that those drums are heavy, but if you filled them up higher with soil your plants would have more room to make roots, they would get more light and be easier to get a fan on them. You are only utilizing half of your growing space by filling them half way. You might also want to look into finding some lighter weight growing pots if weight is an issue.

Just my opinion on the matter.
You can always add potting mix as the plants grow. I have never found that to be a problem just a pain in the backside for convenience.
Old November 17, 2017   #64
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..Yes my original thinking was adding more mix as the plants grow BUT I also think on reflection I perhaps put them maybe too low ...Now I will be hanging fans aboye them ...which may help but of course there is also sunlight?...Once I finish planting there is over 2 KG of water added to the drum weight but one can slide them very easily on the concrete in fact its safer working on a plant just to turn the drum and work sideways into the drum instead of over the plant .To do this one has to stake in a teepee shape.. ...Patti..As you know I am always struggling with fertilizer and my memory recall is basicly fading on me but having put Super Phosphate on last night ..this morning I am wondering if I should have whizzed it in a blender lightly and I would have got a better spread in my soil unless one is not supposed to do that..
Unlike a year ago ( Apart from a few weeks ago the winds are staying away) and its good weather for the plants but i will have to watch the temperature guage ...Most of the plants I am planting are unknown to me so I am hoping to find one or two that I like the taste of ..Two latest varieties "Marriage Genuwine" and "Rupunzel" look interesting.... Regards Ron
Old November 18, 2017   #65
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your Super Phosphate is just fine as it is. No need to grind, pulverize or powder it. This product tends to stay where it was placed rather that leaching out like nitrogen does, so it is best mixed well into the soil before planting.
Old November 22, 2017   #66
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...I want to get into topping the soil level up in my drums ....My aim is to mix a drum of soil with Calmag but I am unsure what the mix should be ....I will try and work out how much soil should go in each plant my measuring in a 2 litre jug ..my guess it could take about 4-6 jugs per plant ..I wonder how much Calmag need I mix with a 2 litre jug of Soil ...Once I know that I will make a drum full up ....I will wash it in with water and epsom salts...Thankyou Ron...PS Sorry I forgot my Photos
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Calmag_2017-11-23_154118.jpg (138.7 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg CalMag_2017-11-23_154248.jpg (140.9 KB, 84 views)

Last edited by murihikukid; November 22, 2017 at 09:55 PM.
Old November 23, 2017   #67
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...I have done some calculations and I understand each drum will require aprox one cubic foot of soil ...So What I require to know is how much Calmag to mix into one cubic foot of soil ...Thankyou Ron
Old November 23, 2017   #68
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Magnesium is the first deficiency to show among the minor elements, for me anyway, but not usually until heavy fruiting. At this point, I doubt your seedlings need any of the calmag. If it were me, I would wait until the plant was much bigger and started showing the first signs of deficiency, then use a soluable product at that time. There is liquid cal-mag, and many people use epsom salt.

I like to use as little fertilizer as possible on young plants. Using too much can make things go wrong in many different ways, by locking out other nutrients, throwing off ph, or causing a bacterial imbalance in your soil.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #69
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I agree.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #70
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi...Well they all (apart from two) have been fed with 2 litres of water with a Tablespoon of Epsom salts ...The two others got 1 litre with 1 ml of Head Masta and 1litre with 1ml of Extra Growth Booster mixed on each ...from the sample CX Hydroponic sample pack I was given ...i am pleased to say they are all looking not too bad ....Tomorrow I hope to sort out exactly what these clowns are selling over here under the name CalMag?? and if I can get the right stuff I will administer it later..
And another clown is wondering if the cat sprayed on his seed mix that was in a bowl that was left on the floor and this could be a reason my latest seedlings are failing...I noticed the strong smell today.....Plus my Growth chamber has hit another problem ....The Eheim water pump is unable to push the water through the system .....Hell I can blow the water through it ??? and this is a German product?? Cheers Ron..
Old November 26, 2017   #71
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If it is a mag-drive pump, they are transfer pumps only, meaning they make hardly any pressure.
Old November 26, 2017   #72
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
And another clown is wondering if the cat sprayed on his seed mix that was in a bowl that was left on the floor and this could be a reason my latest seedlings are failing...I noticed the strong smell today....
Yah, no.

Maybe it would affect the germination rate, but once sprouted they are in dirt, not urine, which soaking, wetting, and watering would have washed off anyway. If you can smell ammonia, look elsewhere. (No idea where.)

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26, 2017   #73
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi......WEll ...No Calmag its on a boat somewhere presumably heading for New Zealand so I am told...

Now the Fertilizer companies advice was ... use "yaramila complex...." that is what is used on Tomatoes.....
https://ballance.co.nz/Fertiliser-Pr...00000000010348

I have attached the pdf file.....Could I be given an opinion please ....Has this fertilizer got the required mix for Tomatoes ...

REgards Ron
Attached Files
File Type: pdf YaraMila-Complex.pdf (252.9 KB, 2 views)
Old November 26, 2017   #74
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The required composition of nutrients for the plant will change as it grows, so trying to do it with one product is an approximation. I don't know that there is one right answer. Osmocote works ok for me. The npk numbers are equal, I believe. That product you linked to seems low in phosphorous and very high in sulphur. Does that have anything to do with the composition of your local soils? You might ask the company if it is appropriate for container growing, or if it is meant to be used on fields.
Old November 26, 2017   #75
murihikukid
Tomatovillian™

Hi..I have the Nutrients list...
N = 12%
K = 15%
S = 8 %
Fe = 0.2%
Zn = 0.02%
P = 5 %
Mg = 1.6 %
B = 0.015%
Mn = 0.02%
Chloride free
Form Prilled

I feel my Tomatoes need some fertiliser and CalMag is simply not available and I have had another opinion that what was sold to me last season is not Calmag and could well have damaged all my plants I used it on...This is what I am continually up against here..Apparantly the company that sells YaraMila-Complex has had good reports on it as a tomato fertiliser ...I can get it in a 20kg bag but it has to be bought via a Farm ag company???
I will try and get some info via a Nursery if they have heard of it......Cause I need something ...You say you use Osmocote....WEll its available here in many different forms...can I inquire which one you actually use...Thanks Ron..