Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 2, 2015   #1
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Default 2,4,D

I think a windy day caused some of my babies to get this curse.
A slight dosing for most of the affected plants. They looked very healthy yesterday AM and the poison was applied a ways away but they look curled and weak today.
Is there any antidote or treatment?
Old June 2, 2015   #2
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Sodak, I don't have an answer, but is SD South Dakota?

How much rain have you been having lately? My garden is very wet due to May being the wettest May on record here. It has been mostly sunny and dry for the past 2.5 days and during the heat of the day - the plants look kind of wilted. There is just too much water in our soil right now.

I hope this helps or sparks an idea for you.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2015   #3
hank
Tomatovillian™

From my experience, they can often grow out of it, but sometimes not. I replant when the effect is early in the season. Keep us posted and pictures would help. Hank
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #4
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Sodak, I don't have an answer, but is SD South Dakota?

How much rain have you been having lately? My garden is very wet due to May being the wettest May on record here. It has been mostly sunny and dry for the past 2.5 days and during the heat of the day - the plants look kind of wilted. There is just too much water in our soil right now.

I hope this helps or sparks an idea for you.
SD is South Dakota. Actually live in a suburb of Sioux City, IA.
North SC is in SD and South SC is in Nebraska.
Moderate rain here, but our clay soil retains moisture like crazy. Only 6 plants in that ground, 12 in raised beds and 15 in SmartPots.
A rainy morning, but will try to get pictures later.
Old June 3, 2015   #5
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Our local power company, without the knowledge or permission from our village, sprayed 2-4-D under all the power lines as an experiment to see if they could kill all the little trees that sprout. They killed lots of things besides the tree seedlings, like flowers, shrubs, raspberries fruit trees, etc. At least my garden was far enough away that no effect. The people effected raised holy #&!! as they should have. The village govt will make official reprimands and expect restitution if possible.
Old June 3, 2015   #6
4season
Tomatovillian™

I don't have any answer about 24D damage, but I have another potential source to worry about. Never thought about it until one day I saw a train slowly going down the track spraying the right of way. I had never thought about why the tracksides are weed free. The railroad most likely doesn't think about wind drift.
4season is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
Our local power company, without the knowledge or permission from our village, sprayed 2-4-D under all the power lines as an experiment to see if they could kill all the little trees that sprout. They killed lots of things besides the tree seedlings, like flowers, shrubs, raspberries fruit trees, etc. At least my garden was far enough away that no effect. The people effected raised holy #&!! as they should have. The village govt will make official reprimands and expect restitution if possible.
Why dont more people use goats instead of this garbage?

They came through my area with a huge gobble it up machine to do the job.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #8
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

photos

It appears Red Barn, Estler's Mortgage Lifter and Stump of the World were the most susceptible. The curly Q look is reminiscent of dandelions after 2,4 D.
Dick
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2 4 D 2.jpeg (44.1 KB, 87 views)
Old June 3, 2015   #9
Sodak
Tomatovillian™

bought Mortgage Lifter (2), Rutgers select, Big Beef, Cherokee Purple and Mr. Stripey to replace the 6 worst.
Old June 3, 2015   #10
MrsTwigg
Tomatovillian™

Sodak, I'm so sorry to see this. Hopefully your new plants will grow well and you can put this episode behind you.

I think it's just insane how many of us are having to worry about herbicide damage (whether from wind drift, contaminated straw and manure, or other causes) in our gardens. If it were up to me, I'd see 2,4-D be reformulated as a thick neon-orange foam so that the yahoos dousing down their lawns with this stuff can see EXACTLY where they've applied it. Other benefit: no wind drift, and an appropriately toxic looking visual warning to those in the vicinity that a poison has been applied.
MrsTwigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Most power company easements specifically allow for the use of herbicides, as long as the work is done in accordance with EPA regulations and in accordance with the labeling. IE, they dont require permission from local govt. Some power companies only use a licensed professional for application.

They are not responsible for fruit trees, flowers, shrubs, or raspberries growing within the easement. If they damaged things outside their easement that is a different story.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2015   #12
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Our particular easement does not specifically allow for herbicide use, only for the power company to have the right to access. This was an "experiment" to see if the chemical would work according to the superintendent. It did work and a lot of people who picked those wild berries are out of luck for several years now. Our little village is a throw-back to a bygone era where many have harvested wild fruit: raspberries, blackberries, wild plums, grapes, peaches, etc. from the edges of the roads and ditches. Then the "big city" boys (not certified or licensed, just workers) come in and spray. Not cool.
Old June 4, 2015   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Our particular easement does not specifically allow for herbicide use, only for the power company to have the right to access. This was an "experiment" to see if the chemical would work according to the superintendent. It did work and a lot of people who picked those wild berries are out of luck for several years now. Our little village is a throw-back to a bygone era where many have harvested wild fruit: raspberries, blackberries, wild plums, grapes, peaches, etc. from the edges of the roads and ditches. Then the "big city" boys (not certified or licensed, just workers) come in and spray. Not cool.
That sucks.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote