Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 5, 2015   #1
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Default Blooms

My Cherokee Purple plants are over blooming. Today at the first cluster I removed 3-5 blooms from clusters that already had 3 fruit in evidence. I did this some last yr to have bigger tomatoes. Does this mean I am an oddball? LOL . Seems they are blooming more than usual.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #2
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Cherokee Purple will usually have a lot of blooms but only set about 4 tomatoes give or take. I guess they know what they are doing
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #3
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Cherokee Purple will usually have a lot of blooms but only set about 4 tomatoes give or take.
I hope that's the case with hearts too. My (unknown)heart plants have at least a half dozen buds on each truss. The plants look so flimsy(typical I know)I can't imagine them supporting more than a couple of toms at a time.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
Cherokee Purple will usually have a lot of blooms but only set about 4 tomatoes give or take. I guess they know what they are doing
Four tomatoes total for the whole season?

That doesn't sound like the Cherokee Purple I know and have known since maybe 1992 or 3 when Craig sent me seeds he had produced from the seeds that J D Green sent him.

Carolyn
Old June 5, 2015   #5
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Four tomatoes total for the whole season?

That doesn't sound like the Cherokee Purple I know and have known since maybe 1992 or 3 when Craig sent me seeds he had produced from the seeds that J D Green sent him.

Carolyn

Hopefully he meant just four tomatoes per truss. I've had a few varieties that have only given me four or so tomatoes per season (e.g., Aunt Gertie's Gold, Virginia Sweets), but the year I grew Cherokee Purple, it produced more tomatoes than I wanted. I wasn't overly impressed with the flavor, but it will give it another shot some day.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #6
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Yes, per truss.I wouldn't grow anything that only grew 4 tomatoes but once
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2015   #7
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Four tomatoes total for the whole season? . . . .
Carolyn
I've had that sort of yield from Cherokee Purple for a season. The plants were normal looking, I've just thought that when yield was low it was because our season ended about the time CP was getting ready for serious production. Same seasons Indian Stripe would produce respectably, though still not what it would yield in a climate it liked better.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #8
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

Don't know if I would call them finicky but they don't do well in heavy soil where big pinks and yellow/red flourish at my place. So I fixed them a special place with better soil that is much lighter and voila. Even pulling blooms and suckers I get prob 6-8 fruit per plant and I have 15 plants as well as 50 others. I just don't roll with those plum sized fruit. Would rather have 8 eight oz tomatoes than a bush full of smallies. And a few get much larger than that.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2015   #9
pauldavid
Tomatovillian™

I usually get 3 fruit per truss myself.
pauldavid is offline   Reply With Quote