Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 31, 2010   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default Plans for next year.

Well it is my hope to have more planted next year. A lot more variety and better planing and not have to scramble to get everything out. Some things we lacked this year like beans and peas and root crops.Here is what is on the table for next year so far.

Beans:

Jade green beans

Fordhook Lima beans

Cherokee Wax

Peas:

Lacy Lady 2 (snap)

Lincoln

Carrots:

Little Finger

Not sure what other ones.

Beets:

Detroit Dark Red : I am the only one that likes good pickled beets.

Potatoes : had good luck with Red LaSoda a few years back.They where awesome.They did better than Red Pontiac. Not sure yet on russet. Yukon Gold is another one that has done well for me.Thinking about one fingerling.

Garlic: Any variety that will do good here. We love our garlic. I know they should be in the ground now but it is most likely we will be moving.

Melons: There are so many tasty melons out there it is hard to choose what ones to get. I want to find a good heirloom watermelon with good disease resistance. This year Sugar Baby died from a wilt of some kind so I want to get something that is a bit more hardy.

Radishes

Onions: If I can would love to get some plants from Dixondale Farms.

Herbs: Want to have a good selection of kitchen herbs to help make my own seasonings and sauces.

Turnips: Purple Top White Globe

Tomatoes: Lots of tomatoes

Ditto on the peppers

Summer squash

Pumpkins/Winter Squash

Corn

I think that covers everything Lots to think about so I figure I will be spending the winter selecting varieties.And that is part of the fun of gardening.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Kevin,

For watermelons, Orangeglo has had the healthiest vines and the tastiest fruit of the many varieties that I've tried.
The size range has been 15-30 lbs.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #3
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
there are so many tasty melons out there it is hard to choose what ones to get. I want to find a good heirloom watermelon with good disease resistance.
I grew a number of melons/watermelons this year. For watermelon, Ali Baba was terrific - very good disease resistance and luscious 15-20lb fruit. Ha'Ogen was my favorite green melon - so sweet and juicy. For orange-fleshed melons, I liked Sweet Freckles. It's a crane type bred by PSR Seeds.

PM me if you'd like seeds for Ali Baba or Sweet Freckles. I didn't collect seed from Ha'ogen but its available commercially (as is Ali Baba).
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #4
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
I grew a number of melons/watermelons this year. For watermelon, Ali Baba was terrific - very good disease resistance and luscious 15-20lb fruit. Ha'Ogen was my favorite green melon - so sweet and juicy. For orange-fleshed melons, I liked Sweet Freckles. It's a crane type bred by PSR Seeds.

PM me if you'd like seeds for Ali Baba or Sweet Freckles. I didn't collect seed from Ha'ogen but its available commercially (as is Ali Baba).
Your on.Been wanting to try Ali Baba.Never heard of sweet freckles.What is it like.

Kevin
Old November 2, 2010   #5
OneoftheEarls
Tomatovillian™

I have walking onions and oodles of tomatoes to try...do you can or just eat fresh tomatoes...cherry varieties? Let me know about April. I can even mail onion plants and chives...I have plenty of

Hope things are going well...down south
OneoftheEarls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2010   #6
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneoftheEarls View Post
I have walking onions and oodles of tomatoes to try...do you can or just eat fresh tomatoes...cherry varieties? Let me know about April. I can even mail onion plants and chives...I have plenty of

Hope things are going well...down south

PM on the way.Thanks Earl.

Kevin
Old November 3, 2010   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post

Ha Ogen is my favorite melon, regardless of color. I did collect seeds. So, if anyone on this thread would like some, PM me.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2010   #8
hillbillyBob
Tomatovillian™

Humm I'm strating next week with the new greenhouse,should be a good year
hillbillyBob is offline   Reply With Quote