Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2012   #1
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Default Notes on Kibit's Ukrainian/ Kibic (real name)

As a few people have expressed an interest on more information about this variety, I thought those of us who are growing it could record our notes here.

This is my first year to grow Kibit's Ukrainian. They were started from seed back in November. (obtained from Amishland) However, I didn't move them to the greenhouse until March(?) so they didn't really take off until then. The light from my southern facing window was just enough to keep them alive but not enough for them to thrive. They did much better in the greenhouse.

Once they stated blooming, they began to reliably set clusters of five or six fruit. Since I started them early, I don't really know long they would normally take from transplant to first fruit. Mine took about seven weeks from fruit set to ripe, so I believe they would qualify as a mid season.

My first fruit set in late march and I got the first ripe one on May 13. Including the ten I have already harvested, there have been at least 34 tomatoes on each plant right now, with more flower clusters blooming. There was a cold spell where none of the blossoms set, so with more consistent temps, there might have been more.

Both of the plants are small, one at 17 inches and one at 28 inches, so the fruit set looks very heavy for their size. Mine are averaging about 1 oz. per tomato, with the largest being 1.5 oz and the smallest 3/4 of an oz. (They are about the size of a Roma, but a touch smaller and thinner.)

I'm thinking there is already at least two pounds of fruit on each of these little plants, and it looks like there will be much more as long as they stay healthy.

On mine, if you wait for them to look ripe, they become mushy or mealy. You have to pick them when they are a light reddish-orange and the last bit of green is just leaving the shoulder.

The taste is very good, but not sweet. More of an old fashioned acidy tomatoey taste. (almost, but not quite, tart) While they look a bit like Romas, they don't taste like them! My mother and I both agree that they are much more tasty.

We have eaten them plain and with dressing, but I also want to try them in cooking as I think that nice acidy flavor would do well in sauces.

As it stands today, I will definitely grow these again. They are a great little container tomato.

So that's what I have so far. Hopefully, some other people will let us know what they think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kibits1001.jpg (230.7 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg kibits2002.jpg (265.9 KB, 200 views)

Last edited by livinonfaith; May 20, 2012 at 01:54 PM.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #2
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

This is a Polish tomato variety called Kibic, well-known in Eastern Europe for its productivity and earliness. Our favorite for canning and pickling.
Everybody knows about Amishland changing names habit. And every seeds which came to Lisa from Ukraine is Ukrainian variety for her, for example

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2012   #3
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Andrey! I added the real name to the title so that people looking for it by either name will be able to find it.

A few people have been asking about it and it's so much better to get the information from someone who actually knows the real name and history. As you said, my source has a habit of being a little too creative with that kind of information.

I can see why this is such a hit in Europe. I counted today and have at least 29 tomatoes on the larger one (after already picking 11) and 39 on the smaller one. (after picking 2)

So, eighty one between two small plants, so far. And, honestly, I'm not as good a gardener as most around here so I'm betting that others would do even better.

I would love to see what one of our heavy hitters could do with this little baby!

Andrey, I'm curious. Did you find my description of the tomato size, color and flavor to be close to the ones you have tried? Just wondering how you would describe the flavor.
Old May 20, 2012   #4
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Livinonfaith, yes, the taste is great for a Roma type and we even use Kibic for salads and eating fresh because people don't like sweet flavored tomatoes here. The size is close to your description, but usually a bit bigger, but not too much. This is a real hit indeed!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #5
clara
Tomatovillian™

Andrey, is this the same tomato as

http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/eng/index.php?GID=14115 ?

I'm growing it this year, seeds from Estonia. I would transcribe it as "Tsibis", but I've learnt a bit of Russian language decades ago... Thanks in advance! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2012   #6
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I have three Kibits growing (originally acquired from Amishland). I had saved seeds two years ago and started some this year on April 9. They aren't growing very fast, so now, they are about 6" tall in cups. The ONE plant that I grew in 2010 was in a pot, so I can't wait to see if there's a difference when it's in the ground. I do remember the plant getting a crazy number of tomatoes for its size. It seemed like there were more tomatoes than leaves! Can't wait!

Thanks, Andry for letting us know the REAL name.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #7
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Andrey, is this the same tomato as

http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/eng/index.php?GID=14115 ?

I'm growing it this year, seeds from Estonia. I would transcribe it as "Tsibis", but I've learnt a bit of Russian language decades ago... Thanks in advance! clara
I was going to ask the same thing......
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2012   #8
clara
Tomatovillian™

Marina, how would you transcribe the name on the package? Any help is much appreciated! clara
Old May 22, 2012   #9
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Clara, I'm not sure. They do look similar.

I will say that, although they are the same basic shape, most of the ones I grew don't have those perfectly sloped ends that your packet shows. Mine almost all either have a small indention, (like the infamous Peter Pepper) or a "nipple" on the end. (like a Banana Legs tomato.)

Sounds more sexy than it really is, doesn't it?! You can see what I'm talking about in my pictures and I see some of it going on in Andrey's first pic as, well.
Old May 23, 2012   #10
MarinaRussian
Tomatovillian™

Clara,

Chibis is a bird - lapwing. And the descriptions for Kibits- Chibis are very similar. So, this might be the same exact variety.
MarinaRussian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2012   #11
clara
Tomatovillian™

As to the bird: In German, it's "Kiebitz", sounds very similar to "Kibits" or "Chibis".

I'm already very curious to compare my fruits to yours, Livinonfaith! clara
Old May 23, 2012   #12
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Now that just can't be coincidence. The words, the meanings, and the tomato shape and size are just too close.

As for the slight differences, they may have just picked the most perfect tomatoes for the photo, or the strain we have may have changed a bit in its journeys.

Clara, I am also curious. Can't wait to hear how yours do!
Old July 12, 2012   #13
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

I started with three plants, gave one away and another died, so ONE is left. I still don't have any ripe, but mine was only put in the ground on June 15. It has taken off and has quite a few tomatoes on it. I am, however, getting some rather... well... interesting shapes!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kibits1.jpg (289.7 KB, 155 views)
File Type: jpg kibits2.jpg (294.5 KB, 152 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2012   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I have Estonian friends in Tallinn - if you send a pic or the words, I can get it translated.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13, 2012   #15
clara
Tomatovillian™

Scott, can you send them this link, please:

http://www.seemnemaailm.ee/index.php?GID=14115

There is an English translation, but not a perfect one and in German it's even worse.

They transcribe the name as "Chibis" - following my poor Russian skills it should be "Tsibis", but it's long ago that I've learnt a bit of Russian. Thank you on advance! clara

PS: My "Tsibis/Chibis" has a lot of greenies at the moment.