Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 7, 2018   #16
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste

Just ate a couple of Taste tomatoes with my lunch. One had been nibbled by a mouse (in my basement where I keep the tommies to save them for the critters in the garden
)

I just had to say WOW. Fabulous flavor! I will not be sharing these with neighbours. Maybe with hubby - if he is good .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #17
MickyT
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Blush for the first time this year and it's my kids' favorite tomato out of about 40 varieties.
MickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7, 2018   #18
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I love Blush too. Last year it was my all-time favourite tomato!

Can't wait to compare Blush, Maglia Rosa and Taste...…..

Linda
Old August 8, 2018   #19
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Well I did it. I compared the taste of Blush, Maglia Rosa, Taste, and my all time favourite, Little Lucky (which isn't an Artisan Seeds tomato, but I know that Fred loves them too).

Little Lucky tasted out of this world (even if a mouse had chewed a bit out of it, forcing me to eat it before it was quite as ripe as I would have liked!) Then Taste was fabulous, then Blush and Maglia Rosa.

I tasted them all again in reverse order and Little Lucky didn't taste quite so amazing after eating a Taste, although I think my order of preference is:

Little Lucky
Taste
Blush
Maglia Rosa

I think these are all fantastic tasting tomatoes .

Linda
Old August 9, 2018   #20
clara
Tomatovillian™

After I had grown Blush for the first time some years ago, it MUST return every year, and the same with Maglia Rosa. I'm growing several more of Fred's varieties this year, such as Orange Caprese, Sunrise Bumblebee, Spike and Rainbow Jazz Heart, but could not taste them all due to unusual circumstances (remodeling our garden and the terrible heat we have this summer. Some plants were planted later than normally).
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2018   #21
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

I am glad folks seem to be forgiving when it comes to productivity and plant vigor, when they grow our varieties.

I just got in from trellising up the 20 rows we have here, and visually one thing that was very striking is that the row of "Artisan Cherry" tomatoes (Blush, Sunrise Bumblebee, Green Tiger etc. etc.) is really the wimpiest looking row in the field.

It is no wonder people occasionally report ripping out a Blush or Maglia Rosa plant because it looks "sickly".

Most of our current projects are designed to increase vigor, disease resistance and shelf life while retaining the flavors of our older varieties. It seems to be working...
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2018   #22
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

My Pink Tiger is having its first ripe(ning) fruits. The plant has earned nickname 'Christmas tree' since the branches grow like the ones of a small spruce. Compact and nice, not sprawling all around like some other so called det bushes.
Absolutely favorite of mine, easy to contain and very productive (when fed regularly)
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #23
clara
Tomatovillian™

Just tasted my first 3 Rainbow Jazz Hearts - wow! Not only beauties, very pretty striped hearts, but also with a complex flavor! Just how I love tomatoes!

I should add that the plant even survived our terribly hot summer so far and continues producing; many other varieties refuse to even produce blossoms or tomatoes are cooked on the vine and have become a pulpy something, only hold together by the skin. Rainbow Jazz Heart on the contrary is doing very fine! Thank you, Fred!
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2018   #24
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Might have to officially release Rainbow Jazz Heart
Old August 16, 2018   #25
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

I transplanted the determinate version of RJH as a second sowing, along with Madera and Red Lithium (feral, I know) the first week of July. All three plants look really healthy, no fruit on RJH yet. Madera loaded with small green cherries. Looking forward to these!

Question re: Orange Jazz. My plant is producing tons of green leaves and massive, almost lobed fruits. I see the origins of Lithium Sunset here. When is OJ ripe? I feel waiting for the dark orange causes me to miss it, but the yellow Orange isn't ripe enough with these monsters.

I'm thinking OJ doesn't hold long on the counter. Is that accurate?
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018   #26
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I strongly advocate for Sunrise Jazz Heart to go forward. It was one of my earliest and holds well in hot, dry climate.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018   #27
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Super! What size is Sunrise Jazz Heart? Does it taste similar to any other Artisan 'maters? Thin skin perchance?

Linda
Old August 16, 2018   #28
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry I misspoke. I don't know where I came up with Sunrise. I meant Rainbow Jazz Heart. I didn't mean to cause excitement.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2018   #29
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Orange Jazz holds like most "heirloom-type" beefsteaks.

Not well.

But it is should be no worse than Cherokee Purple or Brandywine, which have decent shelf-life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
I transplanted the determinate version of RJH as a second sowing, along with Madera and Red Lithium (feral, I know) the first week of July. All three plants look really healthy, no fruit on RJH yet. Madera loaded with small green cherries. Looking forward to these!

Question re: Orange Jazz. My plant is producing tons of green leaves and massive, almost lobed fruits. I see the origins of Lithium Sunset here. When is OJ ripe? I feel waiting for the dark orange causes me to miss it, but the yellow Orange isn't ripe enough with these monsters.

I'm thinking OJ doesn't hold long on the counter. Is that accurate?
Old August 16, 2018   #30
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

That's my fault. I called Rainbow Jazz Heart by the name Sunrise Jazz Heart in a couple places.

They are the same thing.

I am glad they are doing well for you. I think the consensus is for release, and the fact that they did well for you is significant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I'm sorry I misspoke. I don't know where I came up with Sunrise. I meant Rainbow Jazz Heart. I didn't mean to cause excitement.