Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 21, 2010   #1
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Default Summer melons

Here are shots from the garden of a couple of varieties we are taking to market this week. I've had good luck with them even here at 6000 ft elevation. Alvaro, a muskmelon, is on the left. Snow Leopard, on the right, is a honeydew - and very handsome. Hope everyone has set aside some space for a melon or two and we can compare notes.

Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alvaro Melon(r).JPG (390.6 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Snow Leopard(r).JPG (368.4 KB, 28 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #2
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Very attractive melons. How many on a plant and how far do they sprawl?
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #3
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Very nice looking melons. I have a sugar baby plant, with one watermelon.
I love honeydew melons. Maybe I'll try some next year. I already have
seeds for Orangeglo and Kenkley's Sweet Watermelon. They will have to
wait for next year.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #4
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

Orangeglo and Keckley's Sweet do great here. I have to corral them a bit like the melons above. Both Snow Leopard and Alvaro are 6 ft in diameter. They generally will have about 4 melons at a time going and I might get 10 altogether on a plant. I haven't kept close track of that, but I should. It's a lot of work to start plants in March and keep them from freezing or dying off. This year the squash bugs are on everything - including the melons, and it's a battle.
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2010   #5
kath
Tomatovillian™

I've got Crimson Sweet, Jubilee, Kleckley's Sweet, Sangria, Sunsweet, Sweet Favorite, and Verona watermelons (one plant each) battling it out in a 20' square 'corral' so they won't overtake the tomatoes and rest of the garden. Only grew the 1st two last year and they were the ones to survive the disease (?) that wiped out the competition. All the above are supposed to be resistant to fusarium wilt and anthracnose. Seem to have even more problems with smaller melons living long enough to ripen fruit, so I resorted to some early hybrids with multiple disease resistance: Passport, San Juan, Sprite, Honeycomb and Sun Jewel; all grown on trellises with support for the fruits. No disease showing on anything yet, but no ripe fruit either. Hoping to find a couple winners.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote