Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 25, 2012   #1
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Taste of the melons grown from saved seeds

I grew some heirloom melons this past season, throughout the rainiest season of Florida. Most probably because of this, melons couldn't build up enough sugar and ended up not being sweet. My question is: If I plant the seeds I saved from these non-sweet melons next season, does it effect the taste of the next season's melons? I am asking this because it is always encouraged to save seeds from the healthiest plant with the best yield and biggest fruits so I am curious if this is true with the taste, too.
chancethegardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2012   #2
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

I'm certainly not an expert. But I believe that seed saved from tomatoes, grown in conditions that render the fruit not as sweet (in a overly rainy season) as they usually are (in a normal, non rainy season), will yield fruit in future seasons that will (given normal conditions) be as sweet as is normal for that variety.
So, bottom line, I think you can save melon seeds from the watery tasting melons and expect them to taste as sweet as they should next year during a normal growing season. Hope this makes sense!
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2012   #3
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

It does make a lot of sense. This is relieving because the plant is a rare variety that I originally had a few seeds. Now I have a ton of seeds which I will share with Tvillains soon. I won't grow melons in summer in Florida for sure .
Old August 29, 2012   #4
blackthumbmary
Tomatovillian™

I will second Farmette's post. I have saved seed from rather bland melons (due to too much water and lack of sun)...and they yielded nice sweeter melons the next summer when the condition were much better.
blackthumbmary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2012   #5
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Hi blackthumb,
Thanks for your post. When you say "sweeter", do you mean that the taste matched that of the variety or was it sweeter because the conditions in the following year were relatively better?
Old September 2, 2012   #6
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I'm not an expert, but I would think the sweetness is more related to the variety than the growing conditions, although they too will impact the fruit. As in when we grow tomatoes, some varieties are just naturally sweeter than others, but a variety can be sweeter or less sweet year to year. Just seems like it would work that way to me with regards to melons. After all, a non-sweet melon will never be sweet regardless of conditions, but a sweet one could vary year to year, yes?
Old September 2, 2012   #7
JonnyYuma
Tomatovillian™

Hello
I know quite a bit about melons. Sweetness/brix has a very strong genetic x environment interaction, especially in heirlooms. There are 2 or 3 major effect genes for sweetness, and many, many minor genes that effect sweetness. Regardless, you need not worry about the genetic potential of your saved seed, they should return to normal with a dry year. Unless you had outcrossing with some melon that was "non-sweet", like a wild type or a pickling melon.
Thanks
Jonny
JonnyYuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2012   #8
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyYuma View Post
Hello
I know quite a bit about melons. Sweetness/brix has a very strong genetic x environment interaction, especially in heirlooms. There are 2 or 3 major effect genes for sweetness, and many, many minor genes that effect sweetness. Regardless, you need not worry about the genetic potential of your saved seed, they should return to normal with a dry year. Unless you had outcrossing with some melon that was "non-sweet", like a wild type or a pickling melon.
Thanks
Jonny
Thanks lakelady and Jonny. Your responses are very informative. Jonny, do you grow melons for commercial purposes or just for fun? I might send you some heirloom melon seeds, which you probably didn't grow before. If you are interested please send me a PM.
Old September 12, 2012   #9
The Future
Tomatovillian™

What melon variety did you grow? I am an heirloom fiend. Have several dozen melon types...
Old September 12, 2012   #10
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Future View Post
What melon variety did you grow? I am an heirloom fiend. Have several dozen melon types...
Hi Future, I am growing Kirkagac 637, a Turkish heirloom. I currently have plenty of seeds and only 3 volunteers to grow this variety. You can sign up to the growers list at this link: http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30. You may also want to have a look at this link: http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27.
Old September 12, 2012   #11
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

chance,
Read this entire thread and your melon being of Turkish origin caught my attention. I grow a Squah that is of Turkish origin as well. It is called Adapazari and is a large Fruit on a large plant. I grow them in the PNW and the Squash averages 22-30 lbs. My largest was 54lbs. The fruit is extremely sweet. I often use them for Pies. I simply use a Pumpkin Pie recipe and omit the Sugar. If you think you might want to try it I'd gladly send you some seeds
Old September 13, 2012   #12
chancethegardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
chance,
Read this entire thread and your melon being of Turkish origin caught my attention. I grow a Squah that is of Turkish origin as well. It is called Adapazari and is a large Fruit on a large plant. I grow them in the PNW and the Squash averages 22-30 lbs. My largest was 54lbs. The fruit is extremely sweet. I often use them for Pies. I simply use a Pumpkin Pie recipe and omit the Sugar. If you think you might want to try it I'd gladly send you some seeds
jwr, I would be more than happy if you can send me some seeds. I am sending you a PM.
Old September 13, 2012   #13
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Default Adapazari

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr6404 View Post
chance,
Wow.
Old September 13, 2012   #14
The Future
Tomatovillian™

Default Kirkagac 637

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancethegardener View Post
Hi Future, I am growing Kirkagac 637, a Turkish heirloom. I currently have plenty of seeds and only 3 volunteers to grow this variety. You can sign up to the growers list at this link: http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=30. You may also want to have a look at this link: http://anatohum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=27.
Very interesting fruit! I do not see how to sign up on the site though...