Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2018   #2206
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Not far off topic at all.
There are many factors that can and will effect weather and climate.
It is only up until now that for some reason people think that today's modern times had any effect on it.
Take a look at the Mayan collapse for example.

They simply outgrew their resources at about the same time that a 100 year drought hit them.
Not only that they had stripped the forest around them of trees and caused massive erosion and soil depletion.
On top of wars.
All of this combined caused the classic civilization to collapse before the Spanish showed up not after.

So no it didn't take thousands of years for that forest to grow up around all of those lost cities it only took a little time like maybe 200 years or less.
Before then it was open fields of crops.

They can tell all of this without recording weather because they can take pollen samples from sediments to tell what kind of plants were growing there at any given time.

People have been for many years and still do take temperature readings and recording it.
The only difference it is isn't official.
An example is if I am the only one or a groups of us see a tornado and none of us are officially trained to see a tornado then it was a possible tornado not an official tornado.
My temperature reading here at the house isn't official because I am an amateur temperature reader and not officially trained to take readings with calibrated equipment even though I can calibrate my equipment.
It is as though I cant officially boil water.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #2207
bower
Tomatovillian™

Tree rings are another weather record that goes further back.. depending on how old your trees are.

Just heard about Alberto on the news. Hope everyone in the Southern states stays safe and dry in your home, it is packing a lot of rain.

They're forecasting a busier than average hurricane season for the Atlantic this year. Not that they haven't been wrong before. The real problem is not how many, it's the intensity of the ones that make landfall... Warmer ocean, not good.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #2208
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Then there is tree ring matching to older trees and lumber of known origin that have been cut down.
It can go back thousands of years and has.

I have some mesquite logs here at home that go way back and it is easy to see the weather patterns of at least the last 100 years if not more.
I got fuzzy eyed counting.
Worth
Old May 27, 2018   #2209
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

The weather was so bad/cold nights here this year, we even had snow in April, and I still have not planted onions or potatoes yet! And most of my cauli bolted before they got planted! Now we are expecting 80's thru Thursday! Of course, the weeds are in high gear!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2018   #2210
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It has been beautiful here the last month. I can't complain... space out the rain a little more and it would be about perfect. My first stand of sweet corn is about pushing the row covers. The 10 day looks great...I love to see highs in the 70s. One 87 and one 68 thrown in there. Hopefully it's spot on for once.

Also I was talking to a local farmer a week or so back, and we got to talking about the weather forecasts. He has four on his phone but says none are very accurate. I mentioned I think we have our own microclimate and he replied "that's exactly what we have". He has in fact talked to local meteorologists on numerous occasions at ag conferences and they confirm that the valley we are in does not model well.

Last edited by JRinPA; May 28, 2018 at 12:02 AM.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #2211
bower
Tomatovillian™

A couple of years ago, some farmers in Nova Scotia turned us onto the Norwegian weather site at yr.no. They give really detailed forecast for all over the world, much more detailed than our own forecasters provide, with wind direction as it changes by the hour. Speeds are usually lower than actual (or they measure steady wind speed vs the gusts which really count and are a feature of the climate here) but knowing that, they are a good indicator. Their temperatures are usually off by a degree or two as well, as the model doesn't take into account the chilling effect of the water. But other than that it is really useful. Their precip estimates tend to be spot on and I have seen them beat our own forecasters at that game many times.
I know what you mean about microclimate, it can make a huge difference. I have frost again this morning, but a few km away at my mother's place there'll be none.
I'm just on the edge of the "sun belt" that is CBS, which has much warmer and more pleasant weather than St. John's in the other direction. Yr.no gives forecasts for both, so I alternate between the two depending on the weather concerns of the day.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #2212
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

According to our forecast it is going to be in the 100's this week.
One of the older guys at work that is still working, (He was at the original Wood Stock) was complaining as to why he wasn't given a job they are doing on new apartments.
My boss told him he would either quit or drop dead in the heat and wasn't going to put him on it.
Smart move.
I did it last summer and it is not for the weak and out of shape for sure.
Why is it so hot so soon?

Worth
Old May 28, 2018   #2213
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

That site makes it too cold. We don't even get to 30 this week. If I can figure out how to make it use proper numbers I will try it.
Old May 28, 2018   #2214
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Miss Pele in Hawaii,and the cauldron of fire in Yellowstone National Park,two tectonic plates,Andreas Fault,that’s a indicator maybe.If the Yellowstone one blows ala Mt.St Helens,or both,the waves they create,will go where?Europe enjoyed a mini ice age in history,killed a lot of people,no crops,no sun,etc.Thought to be a ash cloud from a eruption,that was heard,recorded in ships logs ,some ice cores are being examined,just like the tree rings,they tell the tale.
Old May 28, 2018   #2215
b54red
Tomatovillian™

We have been getting rain every day for ten dats and it is starting to take a toll on the garden. Went out in the light drizzle earlier this morning and picked a few tomatoes at first blush. They split if I wait longer to pick them. Lots of worms showing up eating both fruit and foliage and it is raining too much to spray. My poor bell pepper plants seem to be getting chewed even more than my tomatoes and now look like they were hit with buckshot. According to the weather forecast the heaviest rain is yet to come. I’m hoping they are wrong.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #2216
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Last spring we were hit with a couple months of rain. Septoria ruled the garden. I hope it doesn't happen to you. You can use a ring of copper wire to deter slugs.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2018   #2217
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Why is it so hot so soon?

I don't know why, but it is. It feels more like late June here. Yesterday, the high was in the upper 90s with no air movement and humid. It was difficult for non-smokers to stay out in the heat for very long. Younger people who are accustomed to working out in the heat are probably complaining about the weather too.

Bill, you're bringing back memories of 2015 - when it just wouldn't stop raining May through late June. I will never forget that year.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #2218
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

90 F and full sun today. Stinking hot for us humans, but just what the doctor ordered for the tomatoes. Grow, maters, grow!

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2018   #2219
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Yeah same 87 hot humid sunny, but forecast was 85 and mostly cloudy! I put out some transplants yesterday, today some are drooping because I didn't cover up... I'll never learn. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 180 times a year, shame on me lol.
Old May 29, 2018   #2220
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Yeah same 87 hot humid sunny, but forecast was 85 and mostly cloudy! I put out some transplants yesterday, today some are drooping because I didn't cover up... I'll never learn. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 180 times a year, shame on me lol.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote