Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 28, 2016   #76
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Robert,
Seedlings I gave home behind the window, because the next day would certainly did not withstand - they dry out.

Bower,
Bower, you're right. The temperature of the substrate in these small cups followed the air temperature, so it was well below 10 ° C. The roots can not absorb water, so plants began to dry. Something else is at the plants in a bed. Soil temperature does not respond so fast on decrease of the temperature. Black foil should also help to.

Tomorrow is D-day for tomato seedlings 0-33. Four seedlings I will give into the cold frame, two into the foil tunnel and two into the open bed. I will add photos.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #77
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I planted few SILVERY FIR TREE on Feb. 3. Yesterday I saw one flower on it. (Day 53 ) another 4o days it can have a ripe tomato. That is about 93 days from sowing seeds.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sft-11.jpg (66.0 KB, 320 views)
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #78
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

@Gardener
Usually they even faster to set the first fruit in 80-85 days after germination. I mean varieties with carrot-like foliage like SFR and Morkovnyi. And the taste is exceptionaly acid the way I like.

@RJGlew
I don't know how in Czech Republic, but Vlad is actually a different name in Russia and CIS We usually call Volodya all Vladimirs in a friendly manner or when you want to say something about a man you know quite good Volodya Putin, for a example

And Vlad is short and friendly name of Vladislav

But only MrBig46 has to choose

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #79
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Silvery Fir Tree is highly attractive to thrips and it is very susceptible to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. Other than that, it fits the traits requested. I would grow Sub Arctic Plenty, Jagodka, and O-33 as preferred early varieties.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2016   #80
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Silvery Fir Tree is highly attractive to thrips and it is very susceptible to Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus. Other than that, it fits the traits requested. I would grow Sub Arctic Plenty, Jagodka, and O-33 as preferred early varieties.
Fortunately we don't have any of those around here.
And I plant them in pot/ soil less mix.
And I like tangy juicy tomatoes. Why add vinegar to your salad.

Gardeneer
Old March 28, 2016   #81
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
I don't know how in Czech Republic, but Vlad is actually a different name in Russia and CIS We usually call Volodya all Vladimirs in a friendly manner or when you want to say something about a man you know quite good Volodya Putin, for a example

And Vlad is short and friendly name of Vladislav

But only MrBig46 has to choose
Thanks Andrey, I was not aware of this and I appreciate you helping me better understand. I have known a number of Hungarian Vladamirs here, and we always abbreviated their name to Vlad, likely incorrectly, but they were too polite to tell us... We'll let MrBig46 advise us so I can be correct going forward.

Andrey, while I have your attention, what are your current thoughts on the early tomato `Max,' the improved Moskvich?
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2016   #82
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJGlew View Post
Andrey, while I have your attention, what are your current thoughts on the early tomato `Max,' the improved Moskvich?
Both Moskvich and Max are intended for growing outside.
Vavilov Institute (IOGEN, Moscow) developed Moskvich in early 1970s when more and more Soviet people has become gardeners on their own dachas, but usually got no greehhouses.
Moskvich grows as a compact plant with h30-50cm, early and cold tolerant. Red round fruit are 50-80 g with quite good flavor for a such early variety. You will got larger fruit after pruning.
Tatyana's description is a bit different to compare with original strain from Russia. It is not indet nor has got some kind of blunt heart fruit.
Also Moskovich is the same as Moskvich. Just a wrong spelled name.

Max was bred in the middle of 1990s as an Improved Moskvich.
With almost the same days to maturity or a week later usually it bears you a bit taller plant (h50-60cm) and larger flattened-round fruit in 100-120 g league.

Flavor is equal But Max fruit is more meaty and a plant is more prolific - up to 2 kg from 1 plant.
So Max is a good reliable early variety with larger fruits.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; March 29, 2016 at 01:59 AM.
Old March 29, 2016   #83
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
Never got such problems with it.
At least with Marigolds growing nearby...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 31, 2016   #84
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Friends call me Vlaďo or Laďo. You do not write probably it on ylour computers. Friends from Slovakia call me Vlado. That could be shortened Vladimír.

On Tuesday, I planted eight tomato seedlings 0-33. Soil temperature in the wells was 13 ° C. Weather forecast for the next nine days is good (I use Norwegian web www.yr.no). Other seedlings 0-33 I'll plant till Monday.

I also harden others determinate varieties- Saraev Gruntovyi, Saraev Druzhnyi, Saraev Otbor 1, Saraev Stoiky, Saraev Shtambovyi, I-2, M-22, 42 days, Latah, Jagodka, Darinka F1. So far, I'm waiting for planting.
Vlado
Old March 31, 2016   #85
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Vlado, Happy Plant Out !
I also took my plants outside on Tuesday. But have not planted them yet, I am hardening them off (acclimating). Once they get used to sun, winds and cool weather I will start putting them in the ground or in pots.
I checked my soil temperature the other day it was 47F ( = 8 C). Not as warm as I would have liked but it is getting warmer every day.

Gardeneer
Old April 3, 2016   #86
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Saturday morning of completely tested the resistance of tomatoes to freeze 0-33. Outside it was completely white, wind 25 km / h, 85% humidity, the temperature -2 ° C. I have lost 15 plants, all frozen. All in foil tunnel also frozen. In the cold frame are still tomatoesall right. Weather outlook is positive, and sometimes during the week I will plant next seedlings.
With resistance 0-33 to frost will not count in the future also because high humidity. Only glass or polycarbonate can prevent heat radiation to the atmosphere at night.
Vladimír
Old April 3, 2016   #87
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Vladimir,
as you probably know you will get lower temperature in low soil places when humidity is so high as in Easter Europe in spring. So your -2 C on TV weather forecast is actual -5 C or even less at your soil level.
Cold tolerant tomato varieties are for several degrees less than 0 C... I'm really sorry about 0-33...

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 3, 2016 at 01:58 PM.
Old April 3, 2016   #88
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My early winners in my unheated greenhouse, which drops to near-freezing, are (I think all these are determinate):

Aura
Adria
Ina
Sol Gold
Cole
tumbling cherries - Whippersnapper, Anmore Treasures, Anmore Dew Drops

Productive from Altai, which is indeterminate I think, is also doing very well, as are my De Barao varieties.

My microdwarfs seem to have taken the cold the worst. They are all sick-looking.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #89
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Yes, meteorologists measure temperature in two meters above ground. Because I am not able to predict the weather by myself, I use data from meteorologists and according to this deal with the cultivation. How much was the temperature in the ground below 0 ° C, not intersted me.
I did not test what frost withstand tomato 0-33. Only surprised me that frost destroyed all tomatoes 0-33 in foil tunnel but did not destroy one another tomato with potato leaves. To this day this tomato has not grown, but it is alive.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0040.JPG (497.1 KB, 224 views)
Old April 12, 2016   #90
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I have a lot of plants that look exactly like that one. Mine are cold-abused, too.

Oh, and I mis-spoke earlier. Productive from Altai is actually determinate.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote