Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old 3 Weeks Ago   #106
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

I grew Bronze Torch this year too and thought it was great. Try Captain Lucky--it's stunning and great tasting.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #107
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic#1 View Post
Thanks Barb

Again, we try to service the higher end restaurants. They are always looking for something new. Unique.

Artisan sold well along with Bronze Torch.

We pick the day of delivery. Nothing held or stored.

Wild Boar
BLACK BEAUTY
BRAD’S ATOMIC GRAPE
PINK BERKELEY TIE-DYE
maybe others

Key is to be the newest.
You will get a ton of tomatoes from Brad's Atomic Grape. I've grown it several years but didn't last season or this upcoming season. It is much later than my other cherry tomatoes.

For cherry tomatoes, I'm partial to the Tokita Brand: Sun Series - very sweet, prolific, disease resistant. Particularly: Sun Orange (an improved SunGold that doesn't split), SunChocola, SunGarnet. You might want to consider SunGreen which is super high brix - Johnny's and Parkseed have the newest release 4029. I grew the prior release last season and although excellent, there was a learning curve when to pick. I've started the 4029 now and it is supposed to be less DTM and slightly smaller and easier to know when to pick.

Tomatoes with a lot of Antho just don't taste that good when I've grown them so I stopped.

You might want to consider growing Lucid Gem from Wild Boar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitterwort View Post
I grew Bronze Torch this year too and thought it was great. Try Captain Lucky--it's stunning and great tasting.
I'm growing Captain Lucky for the first time this season. I have only heard great things about this tomato.

ETA - If you want something new, check out KarenO's varieties. She has a thread on this site.

Last edited by Barb_FL; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:15 AM.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #108
Gardenboy
Tomatovillian™

Happy Labor Day to All,

Barb...I was wondering what is sungarnet like? It is similar to the "garnet" cherry? I grow garnet cherry every season and wondered if the sungarnet is any different? Also I grew SunChocola last season and got great results. I saved seeds without thinking that it is a hybrid. Have you grown saved seeds from the Tokita variety tomatoes and still got a similar plant as the parent? Just wonder what your thoughts may be. Where can I purchase Sungarnet cherry seeds? Thanks as always for your knowledge and help.

Gardenboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #109
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardenboy View Post
Happy Labor Day to All,

Barb...I was wondering what is sungarnet like? It is similar to the "garnet" cherry? I grow garnet cherry every season and wondered if the sungarnet is any different? Also I grew SunChocola last season and got great results. I saved seeds without thinking that it is a hybrid. Have you grown saved seeds from the Tokita variety tomatoes and still got a similar plant as the parent? Just wonder what your thoughts may be. Where can I purchase Sungarnet cherry seeds? Thanks as always for your knowledge and help.

I updated an old thread with pictures of SunGarnet etc. I didn't want to intrude on Garlic1 thread.

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...616#post759616

I never grew Garnet; but grew Rosella (Garnet's sister).
I also never grew out F2 seeds from any Tokita brand tomato.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #110
Garlic#1
Tomatovillian™

Caption Lucky from whom?
Garlic#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #111
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garlic#1 View Post
Caption Lucky from whom?
Caption Lucky was bred by Millard Murdock, a breeder from N.C. who died in the fall of 2019. He was a member here and was well regarded as was the tomatoes he produced.
Old 3 Weeks Ago   #112
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

If your question was to me, my original Captain Lucky seeds were from Steve at Heritage Tomato Seed (https://heritageseedmarket.com/index...e-tomato-seed/), but he doesn't appear to be offering it at the moment.

Fred at Artisan Seeds, who posts here regularly and has developed some great varieties, offers it: https://store.growartisan.com/product/captain-lucky.

I think some other vendors offer it also, but my experience with the two mentioned have always been great.