Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2020   #451
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Thanks. I found it and that's enough for me.
Excellent news. I always push them into the ground so the first ring actually sits on the soil surface. That makes them more stable, but requires your soil to be prepared quite deeply. You can see in the Danko picture just 2 of the 3 rings show since the lowest one is right on the ground. The Danko plant was only about 30cm tall so the cage works very well with them. The Lowe's picture with the first ring 6" above the ground is staged - they have never worked that way for me. :-)
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2020   #452
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

In the second half of November, I gradually planted varieties of determinant varieties. So far I had them behind the window, but the light conditions were poor (still cloudy sky). Today I have a lot of small plants, the number of which I will gradually reduce, so that I have twelve strong, flowering seedlings for planting on the first day of spring. I had to start lighting up - eight hours on the windowsill with daylight + six hours under LED lights. I made such a simple box out of a cardboard box and used LED bulbs from a chandelier that I had unused. No beauty, but I've been shining since Tuesday, I measured 3000 Lx at a plant height of 19-20 ° C. In addition to the original six varieties (Jagodka, Sophie´s choice, 0-33, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Maglia Rosa, EM Champion), I added two varieties in mid-December, which should form fruits even in cold conditions (partly parttenocarpic varieties Betalux and Siletz). Now I watch the plants so that they are not too weak and on the other hand so that they do not overgrow .
Vladimír
PS.:I don't have the box approved by my wife and I probably won't even get approval. No wonder, does not like tomatoes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2686.jpg (53.9 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2688.jpg (56.1 KB, 198 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2699.jpg (58.9 KB, 204 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2712.jpg (125.3 KB, 202 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; December 30, 2020 at 02:56 PM.
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2020   #453
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Hello Vladimír,
they look quite fine. And the grow box (or whatever I should call it) is a very good DIY product. But the temperature and the intensity of light will probably make them grow faster than you would like and need.

Milan HP
Milan HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2020   #454
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
In addition to the original six varieties (Jagodka, Sophie´s choice, 0-33, Sarayev Gruntovyi, Maglia Rosa, EM Champion), I added two varieties in mid-December, which should form fruits even in cold conditions (partly parttenocarpic varieties Betalux and Siletz).
Perhaps consider a Danko (Данко) for EM Champion (Эм-Чемпион) swap next season. EM Champion is a very good tomato, but Danka is a much shorter plant & earlier, perhaps better suited for your early determinate tests. Taste is the same - both are very good.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2020   #455
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

When I see it growing under those lights, I'm starting to worry if the plants fit under the glass. And that EM Champion is the highest. I'll leave it with those lights for a week, measure how the individual varieties have grown in height and only the smallest ones will continue to light up.When I see it growing under those lights, I'm starting to worry if the plants fit under the glass. And that EM Champion is the highest. I'll leave it with those lights for a week, measure how the individual varieties have grown in height and only the smallest ones will continue to light up. For the higher ones, I will try to cut off the top of a few and root it again. I have enough seedlings so far and a place on the window as well. I must not forget Danek next year.
Vladimír
Old December 31, 2020   #456
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

That's a good idea to cut the tops off. They'll probably grow more "bushy" and they'll fit better in your hotbed. Cheers to looking for new ways.
Btw, Vladimír, have you ever grown dwarfs? I've got two dwarf varieties this year and I am not sure if I should nip off the shoots or not. My instinct says it's better to do so as they originally are indeterminate. But I'd love to get some confirmation.
Cheers to 2021.

Milan HP
Old January 1, 2021   #457
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

If you mean the dwarves from the American-Australian project, in 2015 I grew eight varieties of Sleeping Lady, Wherokowhai, Sweet Adelaide, Dwarf Blazing Beauty, Big Green Dwarf, Perth Pride, Summer Sunrise and Golden Dwarf Champion. It didn't suit my way of growing very well, so I gave the seeds to Eva T. As far as I know, no one is pruning them. They are usually grown in containers and cages. In 2018, I cultivated them once more with other determinants, but now I no longer grow shrub tomatoes (except for those in the hotbed). I wish you a nice first day of the new year.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0123.jpg (242.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0128.JPG (53.9 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by MrBig46; January 1, 2021 at 03:44 AM.
Old January 1, 2021   #458
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Thanks.
That actually suits my laziness. I'm growing Sophie's Choice and Arctic Rose. And I have already made a cut of the former.

It's really funny that we communicate via the USA, which is sleeping, and in a foreign language. We shouldn't neglect our home forum.

Milan HP
Old January 9, 2021   #459
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Arctic Rose is actually a dwarf from a project founded by Patrina Nursey. If you save the seeds this year, I will be interested in the year 2022. Sophie's choice is a small tomato, but unlike what is called the Dwarf here in Tomatoville, it is a determinative tomato.
Vladimír
Old January 9, 2021   #460
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

From 29.12.2020 I sow seedlings every day for 6 hours. During the day I have them on the window (8 hours) just like I had them in previous years. Compared to previous years, it is clear that they are growing very fast, almost twice as fast. Today they have three to five true leaves and their height ranges from five to seven cm. Next week, I will place them individually in the same 200 ml cups. I will plant them deep down to the first right leaf. I won't tear the uterine petals, I'll just backfill them.
I hope that the two partenocarpic varieties will be large enough and will be able to try them at a time when the nights will still be cold. Betalux, sown just a little later, caught up with the other plants and already has three leaves. Worse, Siletz is sown about a month later. They have germinated two of the three seeds, and so far the plants have only two uterine petals.
I have promised three more partenocarpics, if I get the seeds in January, I would also try them.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2717.jpg (174.6 KB, 133 views)
Old January 9, 2021   #461
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

Do you think I should do something to prevent cross-pollination? I reckon it isn't necessary if they are at home even though they're close to each other. No insects there yet.
Yes, I'll get some seeds and you can have as many as you like.

Milan HP

P.S. Your plants look pretty good to me. Is there a difference between determinative and determinate?

Last edited by Milan HP; January 9, 2021 at 05:01 AM. Reason: More info
Old January 9, 2021   #462
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan HP View Post
Do you think I should do something to prevent cross-pollination? I reckon it isn't necessary if they are at home even though they're close to each other. No insects there yet.
Yes, I'll get some seeds and you can have as many as you like.

Milan HP

P.S. Your plants look pretty good to me. Is there a difference between determinative and determinate?
I assume bumblebees or similar insects don't fly in your apartment, so crossing can't happen.
Determinantive v angličtině je stejné jako u nás determinantní nebo určité.
Vladimír
Old January 10, 2021   #463
Milan HP
Tomatovillian™

That's good news. Thank you.

Milan
Old February 2, 2021   #464
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

The picture shows my seedlings from yesterday. They usually have eight to nine leaves and are nine to eleven centimeters high. I suppose three to four more leaves are needed and the seedlings will sow on the flower. This should be the end of February (one letter in 6 days). I want to plant seedlings with full-blown flowers or small fruits in a cold frame sometime around the first day of spring. It's two months earlier than our last frost day (May 15). Betalux and Siletz, which I sown in December) are much smaller, but I don't mind because I want to plant these two varieties without flowers. They are supposed to be partenocarpic varieties and the fruits should be used even in more cold conditions (nights). I want to test if that really is the case. I have one question: Does anyone have experience with these varieties, if they really produce seedsless seeds?
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2739.jpg (126.7 KB, 113 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2740.jpg (103.7 KB, 114 views)
Old February 2, 2021   #465
dorota
Tomatovillian™

I had Betalux twice and even the earliest fruits had seeds. But I planted them after 15th May, after the last frost.
dorota is offline   Reply With Quote