Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old April 11, 2015   #1
TBoneJack
Tomatovillian™

Default Potting Mix Questions

I'm a long-time organic grower of herbs. I'm just now wanting to grow tomatoes for the first time. I've decided to grow in 15-gallon smart pots that I make myself out of tan landscape fabric.

I've ordered heirloom seeds of several varieties, and I've got them growing indoors in Roots Organic soil under T5 flourescents. They are 2.5 weeks old and doing great.

My biggest concern right now is deciding upon a potting mix and liquid fertilizers.

I'm currently reading the book "Epic Tomatoes" by Craig LeHoullier. His current potting mix is as follows:

• 2.5 cubic foot bale of soilless mix.
  • 25 lbs of composted manure.
I like both Sunshine Mix #4 and ProMix HP.

Questions:

1. Which soilless mix? ProMix HP or Sunshine Mix #4?

2. Would earthworm castings be a good substitute for the composted manure?

3. Would a liquid fertilizer like Osmocote or Vigoro work well?

Thanks for your help.
TBoneJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I too grow organically and in my adventures to do so found that promix hp contains a chemical wetting agent called aquagro that contains monoglycerol ester of decinyl succinic acid. Si for me promix is out for growing organic. I have used sunshine mix #4 and got ok results. For the price it was not worth it for me. I like aurora roots organic potting soil found at most hydroponic stores. I can get it for 13 bucks for 1.5 cubic feet which is slightly less than the sunshine mix #4 but is far superior in quality. Roots organic already has earthworm castings plus all these great ingredients.
Coco fiber, peat moss, perlite, pumice, premium worm castings, bat guano,kelp, fish bone meal, soy bean meal, feather meal, greensand, leonardite and, alfalfa meal.
For liquid fertilizer i also use aurora roots organic. They have a whole bunch of different nutrients you can purchase for different stages of growth.
If you are trying to stay organic i would go nowhere near osmocote or vigoro for liquid nutrients.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #3
TBoneJack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
I too grow organically and in my adventures to do so found that promix hp contains a chemical wetting agent called aquagro that contains monoglycerol ester of decinyl succinic acid. Si for me promix is out for growing organic. I have used sunshine mix #4 and got ok results. For the price it was not worth it for me. I like aurora roots organic potting soil found at most hydroponic stores. I can get it for 13 bucks for 1.5 cubic feet which is slightly less than the sunshine mix #4 but is far superior in quality. Roots organic already has earthworm castings plus all these great ingredients.
Coco fiber, peat moss, perlite, pumice, premium worm castings, bat guano,kelp, fish bone meal, soy bean meal, feather meal, greensand, leonardite and, alfalfa meal.
For liquid fertilizer i also use aurora roots organic. They have a whole bunch of different nutrients you can purchase for different stages of growth.
If you are trying to stay organic i would go nowhere near osmocote or vigoro for liquid nutrients.
Cool. And thanks.

I mix my own soil for growing my herbs indoors, and I use Roots Organic as my base soil. So I guess I'll stick with it for growing tomatoes as well.

Do you add anything to your Roots Organic soil? Like maybe dolomite lime for cal/mag/ph control? Or perlite/rice hulls for drainage? I use organic rice hulls in my soil mix instead of perlite, because the hulls add airiness while also providing silicon for plant health.
Old April 11, 2015   #4
TBoneJack
Tomatovillian™

My problem here is that the Roots Organic costs $25 per 1.5cf bag. The reasons are the shipping costs to get it here, and there are just 2 stores within a 100 mile radius of me that stocks the stuff. So the supply is low and the demand is high.

I can afford the Roots Organic for growing my prized herbs indoors, but it may be cost prohibitive for me to use it in 10 large tomato pots outside.
Old April 11, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

How about fox farm ocean forest. It is usually cheaper than roots organic out here i get it for 9 bucks a bag. That is a decent second to the roots.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2015   #6
Ed of Somis
Tomatovillian™

I have grown tomatoes in containers religiously for 3 years. I have learned much. A priority should be a free draining medium. I often buy certain quality potting mixes (not moisture control)...and then add additional ingredients. It is a science experiment...and you will get differing "ideas". Some things I often add are: perlite, cactus mix, azomite, compost, and various other things. As far as fertilizer...there are literally thousands of "experts" with differing opinions. Generally, it is much better to fertilize containers often and diluted. I am using Texas Tomato Food this season (and others).
Ed of Somis is offline   Reply With Quote