Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 12, 2008   #1
Vince
Tomatovillian™

Default Purple haze parents?

I am starting to see more posts about this hybrid. I know fusion power gives it nearly a 10 for flavor. Does anybody know who the parents are? Maybe Gary O'SENA X Black cherry or vice versa?

Vince
Old February 12, 2008   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.kdcomm.net/~tomato/releases/

Keith Mueller bred Purple Haze and the link above takes you to the information you've asked for.

Only plants are sold since it is a hybrid, but I've seen some who have said they like it very much and some who have been rather neutral about it, and those reports from a couple of places where I post.

And for sure you should make up your own mind about it, as well as the other ones featured in the above link, the others being OP and seeds available..

Hope that helps.
Old February 13, 2008   #3
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Given that Keith only says which three tomatoes gave birth to Purple Haze, it would have to be trial and error to find the actual combination, unless Keith feels like revealing the names, and there's no reason why he should. Your suggestion Vince is certainly a contender. Why not not give it a go yourself this season.
Old February 13, 2008   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymondo View Post
Given that Keith only says which three tomatoes gave birth to Purple Haze, it would have to be trial and error to find the actual combination, unless Keith feels like revealing the names, and there's no reason why he should. Your suggestion Vince is certainly a contender. Why not not give it a go yourself this season.
Ray, Keith did reveal the three names in that link I gave and said the project started with Black Cherry, but for sure no one would know in what order he bred in the other varieties mentioned and if he did any backcrosses or whatever.

So the origin of the germplasm is there, but not the order in which crosses were done. It seems to me that no breeder would divulge that info and besides, only Keith knows what specific selections he made at each step.
Old February 13, 2008   #5
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
So the origin of the germplasm is there, but not the order in which crosses were done. It seems to me that no breeder would divulge that info and besides, only Keith knows what specific selections he made at each ... step.
Agreed. It's the breeder's work, so why should he/she reveal anything at all. Keith has already done more than most by naming the varieties involved.

Still, Vince, you may enjoy trying and who knows, you might come up with something just as good. The three parents are all fine tomatoes.
Old February 13, 2008   #6
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

The first cross was Brandywine X Cherokee Purple with subsequent selection to the F3 for a single line of potato leaf plants that exhibit outstandingly good flavor but that is relatively unproductive otherwise. This F3 is crossed with Black Cherry to yield the Purple Haze seed. The problem Keith has struggled with is that the F3 tends to segregate rather heavily with a significant proportion of the progeny having relatively poor flavor. This means that he has had to go back to the F3 for growouts to produce hybrid Purple Haze seed.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #7
Raymondo
Tomatovillian™

Interesting that there is a listing in the 2008 SSE Yearbook for Purple Haze. No mention is made of its hybrid status. Buyer beware, I suppose.
Old February 29, 2008   #8
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

""The first cross was Brandywine X Cherokee Purple with subsequent selection to the F3 for a single line of potato leaf plants that exhibit outstandingly good flavor but that is relatively unproductive otherwise.""

Wait-a-minute. I thought Purple Haze was regular leaf. I had asked this question of Carolyn last week, and she confirmed this. The reason I ask is that of 9 (reportedly) Purple Haze plants I started this year, 6 are regular leaf, and 3 are potato leaf. These seeds came from 2 different folks, so I was chalking this up to a seed mix up. Now, I am totally confused!

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2008   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
""The first cross was Brandywine X Cherokee Purple with subsequent selection to the F3 for a single line of potato leaf plants that exhibit outstandingly good flavor but that is relatively unproductive otherwise.""

Wait-a-minute. I thought Purple Haze was regular leaf. I had asked this question of Carolyn last week, and she confirmed this. The reason I ask is that of 9 (reportedly) Purple Haze plants I started this year, 6 are regular leaf, and 3 are potato leaf. These seeds came from 2 different folks, so I was chalking this up to a seed mix up. Now, I am totally confused!

Ray
Ray, I confirmed that the HYBRID Purple Haze was RL from the link that I posted above where Keith said so.

Since you don't have F1 hybrid seeds you're growing either F2 or F3 seed that someone gave you and it's possible that you might be getting some PL plants due to genetic segregation of the hybrid.

And one other point is that perhaps the seed given to you was crossed in their gardens unless you know that the person(s) giving you the seed had bagged blossoms successfully.