Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 4, 2009   #61
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Final germination results:

#5 - 8 of 10 - One coty had purple in it but leaves (just starting) seem to be green.

#10 - 9 of 10

Started popping out 5 days after planting. Last one popped out while I was away. That one took about two weeks!! funny

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2009   #62
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am away on business, Greg, but am looking forward to see how mine are coloring up when I get back later today. It could be that the dark purple #5 is a tough one to stabilize....but let's be patient and see how they develop. I do know that I have plenty of cells with ranges of cot colors (I am growing out all those I offered plus that many again - maybe 35 different selections...)
Old March 4, 2009   #63
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

I started 10 #5, 8 #10 and 8 #38 last night. I usually don't start seed this early but you guys are driving me nuts.

Updates when they happen.
Old March 4, 2009   #64
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Jerry
I started mine so I'd lay off starting my tomatoes. I keep trying to convince myself I can hold them back and to go ahead and plant them. The peppers should satisfy me for another week. Right?!
Old March 4, 2009   #65
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

These hot peppers tend to grow quite slowly and don't mind sitting in small cells for a long time...I don't blame, you, Jerry! I am away for 3 days consulting and miss my thousands of babies (it went into the teens in Raleigh - and hope my garage stayed above 32!)
Old March 5, 2009   #66
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

OK folks - I just updated the initial thread with three pics (scroll to the bottom of the post) - I took pictures of my peppers today, and labeled the cells with the hot pepper number. I got essentially 100% germination on everything, and this is a 10 seed random sampling of each type, so we can see the green to purplish to purple ratio pretty well for each cell. One thing clear - most are still works in progress - so by growing out plants of different cot colors, you will get different results!

Use this to compare with what you are seeing. Pretty cool, hey!

And Greg, some of the #5 seedlings are getting more purple - this is what I noted last year; it isn't the darkest early on, but gets much darker as the plant grows larger (at least that's the theory!)
Old March 8, 2009   #67
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Any updates, anyone?
Old March 8, 2009   #68
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

I have started potting up the peppers. I have 4-5 of plant #7 and more of the others. Had an animal dig in the flats and of course the only ones damaged were the research ones but I think I was able to save them. I think I can have the plants in the ground in the next 2-3 weeks. Have started cleaning out the flower beds in prep for them. I keep looking at them everyday and yell GROW!
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2009   #69
svalli
Tomatovillian™

For some reason I am having slow germination, it is with many other peppers too and not just the project ones. I planted the seeds on February 16th to Jiffy pellets and use bottom heat, which is about 30°C under the tray. I have two #6 with green cotyledons from 3 seeds. One #29 is showing something coming up finally. I put three more #5 seeds in a wet paper towel yesterday. Today when I carefully poked the jiffy pellets, I found roots sticking out of the #5 seeds, so I would have not needed to start the extra seeds, but I will experiment to see, if the wet paper towel method is faster. If the seeds will germinate, I will grow as many #5 as I can to compare, if the plants will be different.

I put Tepin pepper seeds in beginning of January in wet coffee filter papers and one germinated a week later. I did not throw the other ones away and almost two months later rest of them started to grow. Now I have seven Tepin seedlings. Some of them I will give away to people, who I am trying to infect with this awful pepper growing disease...
Old March 8, 2009   #70
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

#5 and #10 will be potted up as soon as I find a good soil.

Only 1 seedling had a purple Cotyledon. True leaves are looking bright green right now.

#10 had THREE cots turn purple but I don't think they were supposed to. Leaves are light green.

All depends as it matures but if I get two different color leaves on each, I'll grow both out.

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #71
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Update:

Planted varieties #9, #14, #37, and #43 03/01/09
#9 and #14 germinated 03/08/09

Still nothing on #37 and #43.

Bottom heat with a rather cool air temperature of around 64 degrees.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2009   #72
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

True leaves have emerged on most of the peppers. They are just beautiful! I will get some new pics taken tomorrow. Have been potting up things all day and I'm pooped.
psst..Pepper 1 is my favorite
Old March 10, 2009   #73
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Update:

#37 and #43 up 03/09/09

So far, one #14 seedling has dark (purple/blackish) cotyledons.

Summary: All 4 varieties (#9, #14, #37, #43) germinated. #9 and #14 germinated in 7 days, #37 and #43 germinated in 8 days.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 10, 2009   #74
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

Here's an update. These will be potted up this week sometime. And at some point, I'll have to cull them. Not yet though, as I want to see what develops.

Pepper #1. Lots of variations in color. I love this leaf with the hint of purple edges.

Pepper #8. Had green cot leaves. Now it's coloring up a lot.

Pepper #47. Looks like it's been painted!
Old March 10, 2009   #75
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I checked the #5 seeds in a wet paper towel today and one of them has already a root sticking out after two days. I read sometimes somewhere that peat should not be used for germinating peppers. It may be the reason for the slow germination I have had.

Good work Barbee; great photos and really beatiful seedlings.