Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old July 6, 2019   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Adding Miracle-Gro to an EarthBox?

I've always been a bit skittish about adding blue water to my EB reservoirs, and as a result, I probably significantly under-fertilize. For those of you that do add MG, how much do to add, and do you use liquid or powder? And does anyone ever add a bit of iron? (I have a couple of plants that are a little pale.) On the bright side, most all of my plants are doing great, including a Celebrity that has an EB all to itself and looks awesome!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #2
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I never added Miracle Grow, but have tried Texas Tomato Food, FloraNova Grow, MasterBlend formula, and this year I tried this:

http://https://greenleafnutrients.co...v=7516fd43adaa

You can get a free 300 G sample for just shipping (about $3) and it will be enough for you to judge. In the sample, they send a free scoop with a longer handle so it makes it so easy to dump in the tube.

Requirements: I didn't want anything that I had to pre-mix. I just wanted to dump x amount down the tube.

I liked it so much I bought the huge bag.

I haven't done the TTF for a couple of years, but I remember it being really good.

FloraNova Grow - I just didn't know how much to use.

MasterBlend Formula - it needed to be premixed and was just a drag pouring it down the tube.

----

The sample pack will make 75 gallons @ 4 grams per gallon. The scoop has 2 lines - 20 grams (for 5 gallons of water). I didn't PH it, I didn't need to add calcium Nitrate, it was really easy.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2019   #3
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I've grown a few tomatoes in SWCs in the past. I did use Miracle Gro....and some other liquid fertilizers, and if I remember correctly, at about 1/4 strength.
Old July 7, 2019   #4
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I haven't used miracle grow, but I've used Maxigrow and Maxibloom. They are powders and I mix as directed.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_133324.jpg (611.3 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190703_133416.jpg (596.8 KB, 173 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 7, 2019 at 12:48 AM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback and info. -Barb_FL -- I'll check out the sample offer. -Shrinkrap -- awesome looking plants!

Overall, it hasn't been a very good year for tomatoes here in IN, but it has finally warmed up and stopped raining nearly every day. The one bright side -- Septoria has been pretty tame, thus far. I'm still hopeful for a good season!

Last edited by Greatgardens; July 7, 2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old July 7, 2019   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I haven't used miracle grow, but I've used Maxigrow and Maxibloom. They are powders and I mix as directed.
Your plants are beautiful.

Just for clarification, On the Maxi's, you premix and pour down the tube, or can you just put a small amount directly down the tube and fill with the hose.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019   #7
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Thank you!

This year I've been using this, although not regularly.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Maybe two or three times. I also have the fertilizer strip.

Last edited by Shrinkrap; July 7, 2019 at 05:39 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2019   #8
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

If you're going to use a Miracle-Gro product, I suggest using their tomato formula (it's red instead of blue).

How do all of you Earthbox users handle the calcium issue? Most ferts don't have any (well, Texas Tomato Food does)...
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2019   #9
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Calcium Issues?

The only time that I have calcium issues (BER) is when I completely change the media in a box. And that is rare. I use lawn and garden dolomitic lime from Tractor Supply. (Hint: search for Dolomite.) I scrape off the top few inches of potting mix and replace it with new + a generous cup of dolomite. I'm still of the opinion that Miracle-Gro potting mix gives the best results, although I do add small amount of a cheaper local nursery mix that has a lot of perlite in it, since MG is a bit skimpy with the perlite. I also do use the fertilizer strip, usually 10-10-10, and if I have any on hand, I mix in some Burpee's or Jobe's organic vegetable and tomato fertilizer.

Incidently, the two boxes this season with the plants that need some more fertilizer had all "local mix" in them. I was out of MG mix and had plenty of the other on hand. Bad decision! BTW, I do have the MG Tomato formula on hand.
Old July 8, 2019   #10
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
dolomitic lime

I totally forgot about that!

Thanks!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2019   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

An experienced EB gardener at the EarthBox Forum suggested I use 1 tsp of MG "down the hole" once per week. This would be the same as "the snack" -- calcium nitrate. I have not used CaNO3, but I do have some on hand, so think I'll give it a try on one box.
Old July 13, 2019   #12
TigrikT
Tomatovillian™

I am using "the snack", weekly in my EB. But I am not growing tomatoes in EB, only peppers and cucumbers.

The last two EBs didnt have enough fertilizer on hand when was preparing them in May, so i see a little bit the deficiency in these two compare to others.

People who recommends MG doses, is the dose for a supplement to the already installed fertlization strip or no strip. Thx
TigrikT is offline   Reply With Quote