Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old August 30, 2012   #16
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i have been having amazing luck with my bush beans due to all the heat especially the kinghorn yellow wax.. due to the very wet springs we have my first sowing usually rots so this yr i stared enough for half of my 40 ft row in newspaper pots i make.. the other 20 ft of row of the kinhorns i direct seeded in late june when it was drier and warmer
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2012   #17
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I only got about 30% germination with my first planting in cups. I replanted today and used potting soil then covered the beans with about a half inch of Ultrasorb. Maybe so many of them won't rot this time. I still have enough to plant about 20 ft of row now but would like enough for 40 ft. Even with the replant I am only using a fraction of the number of beans I use when sowing directly into the garden.

I am using a French style been called Maxibel and the ones that came up early are nearly a foot tall now and it is way too early to set them out so the ones I replanted may actually work out better. If this works I will never plant directly in the garden again.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2012   #18
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I only got about 30% germination with my first planting in cups. I replanted today and used potting soil then covered the beans with about a half inch of Ultrasorb. Maybe so many of them won't rot this time. I still have enough to plant about 20 ft of row now but would like enough for 40 ft. Even with the replant I am only using a fraction of the number of beans I use when sowing directly into the garden.

I am using a French style been called Maxibel and the ones that came up early are nearly a foot tall now and it is way too early to set them out so the ones I replanted may actually work out better. If this works I will never plant directly in the garden again.
That makes two of us. It was too hot outside for anything to germinate, so I started two kinds of beans, zuchinni, and patty pan squash inside, then transplanted them ASAP, with a shade cloth cover over them for about a week. It worked so well that I started my fall seeds inside, too, and have since transplanted them into available spaces. No rotten seeds, and it used far less (sometimes expensive) seed.

I've already purchased several Deep-Root Seedstarting trays from Gardener's Supply, for next year.
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7, 2012   #19
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have had to clip the tops of my beans seedlings because they are getting too tall and starting to intertwine so bad I would be unable to separate them. I clipped the main stem above the second set of true leaves and set them out to begin hardening off before planting in the garden.
Old September 9, 2012   #20
arivaraci
Tomatovillian™

Not knowing any better (first time growing green beans), this spring, I started my bush beans inside in solo cups the same time I started my tomatoes. By 2 weeks into it I had the most beautiful bean seedlings. And I had 2 messes of beans before all my family members : ) All of who had laughed when I had told them I started my beans inside with my tomatoes.
arivaraci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #21
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

You guys really need to try cowpeas in the summer! You can just use grocery store black eyed peas. Love heat, and are really good green beans.

I've never had luck with starting (regular) green beans in pots... they just hate being transplanted so much. Any time I start in pots, I also start in the ground just in case. The ones in the ground are always happier in the end, no matter how hot it is.

The only time I've had success is when I use net pots, and set the pots themselves directly in the ground when ready. Worked magically for hyacinth bean, and I'll probably do the same for scarlet runner in a week or so.

I had Kentucky Wonder turning into a blossoming jungle even in the peak of Texas heat (it's in a slightly shaded area). But it definitely became "Wonder if it will ever set". I got frustrated and pulled it out for something else, but I think it's time to start them up again.
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9, 2012   #22
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I planted three 40 foot rows of burpee stringless green beans last week. They are 50 day and I think they will beat the frost! I also planted several large diameter pots of beans including climbing beans in my solar greenhouse to keep till jan! i have runner beans growing up my small solar greenhouse. I have chicken wire all over the greenhouse and have the red bean flowers all over overed with beans! I will put a cover over the bean vines so that they will grow under the plastic even when the frost comes they be protected for several extra months!
Old September 9, 2012   #23
halleone
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greentiger87 View Post

I had Kentucky Wonder turning into a blossoming jungle even in the peak of Texas heat (it's in a slightly shaded area). But it definitely became "Wonder if it will ever set". I got frustrated and pulled it out for something else, but I think it's time to start them up again.
Do Kentucky Wonder usually have a problem setting-on?
halleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2012   #24
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Well I set out my bean transplants yesterday morning and then we got several really heavy rains yesterday afternoon and last night. The whiteflies are terrible right now in my garden so I expect the beans will be covered with them soon. I'm keeping my fingers crossed hoping this will work. It was so nice to look down my two ten foot rows of beans and see them nicely spaced with no gaps and no crowding.
Old September 19, 2012   #25
greentiger87
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure halleone, this is my first time growing "Western" snap green beans... but many internet reports suggest that they don't set in Deep south heat. The ones I put in the ground this past week are already up and at em though, so we'll see
greentiger87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2012   #26
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I didn't start mine inside but I'm so glad I planted some fall beans at all!! My pole beans were destroyed by Japanese beetles and I got so fed up I just pulled them all out. The leaves looked like lace, they were so eaten up. Four applications of Sevin and two beetles traps never touched them. They left when I pulled those plants out.

Almost as an afterthought, I planted some Romano 14 seed and I've had four or five pickings of the most tender beans, not a string in them. They've been so good. I've had more beans in September than June, July and August combined! I planted Maxibel two weeks after that and they are now blooming. Can't wait!
Old September 19, 2012   #27
riceke
Tomatovillian™

"The whiteflies are terrible right now in my garden so I expect the beans will be covered with them soon."

B4Red...got the same thing here as well. Didn't have any WF's this summer but now oh boy! I did see some lady bugs in with them so maybe they'll reduce thenpopulation some but I mean there is a bunch of 'em.
Old September 19, 2012   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The whitflies are so thick on all of my plants that it can be hard to breath at times. I'm going to have to start spraying to reduce their numbers or they will destroy my newly planted beans. They absolutely love young bean plants. I know nothing really works great on them but if you spay often you can really reduce their numbers.
Old October 7, 2012   #29
b54red
Tomatovillian™

My beans now have a few beans to go with the millions of whiteflies. I hate spraying any kind of poison on beans once they have started blooming so I don't know if the whiteflies will let them live long enough for me to get any to eat or not.
Old October 7, 2012   #30
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

this was the first year i had whitefly problems in my garden in the north...they were prevalent on my eggplamts
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote