Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 10, 2009   #1
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Default Corn Spacing

First attempt at growing corn. Planting in raised bed that is just short of 8ft by just short of 4 ft. How many plants can I safely put in here and how should I space them. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Variety is Kandy Korn
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Kandy Korn. Best performance was when I gave it about 18 inches in every direction. It likes space. I was happy with the performance at 12 inches too. 6 inches was way way to close. :=) Kandy Korn is rather pretty. Lots of purple tints to it. Don't let it trick you into thinking something is wrong.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2009   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I had Kandy Korn in a 4' x 8' bed, last year. Four rows about a foot apart, 9" spacing between plants.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2009   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Tormato, and.... You're leaving us hanging How'd they turn out?

I'm doing essentially the same thing as you btw. I sowed 2 seeds every 4 inches with the intention of thinning to one good plant every 8 inches. This is in 4 rows using about 6 feet out of a 16 foot bed. I'll have beans next to them.

Btw I'm growing Sugar Dots based on Farmerdill's recommendation.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2009   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
Tormato, and.... You're leaving us hanging How'd they turn out?

I'm doing essentially the same thing as you btw. I sowed 2 seeds every 4 inches with the intention of thinning to one good plant every 8 inches. This is in 4 rows using about 6 feet out of a 16 foot bed. I'll have beans next to them.

Btw I'm growing Sugar Dots based on Farmerdill's recommendation.
They did as expected. One large well-filled ear per stalk. Wider spacing may produce two ears, but I've found that a second ear can often be stunted.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2009   #6
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Kandy Korn is a good-sized plant. With just a couple of rows you probably could get away with 9" spacing in all directions. It's important for good pollenation to have a "block" rather than a long row, as you no doubt are aware.

I sometimes have two plants every nine inches in the row, but the rows are two to two and a half feet apart. In the past I've planted mostly Seneca Daybreak, Lancelot, and Incredible and rarely got two full-sized ears from one stalk, even with 12" spacing. Last year I planted Luscious, with 12" spacing, and got two full-sized, gorgeous ears per stalk. I'm sure it helped that we had record rainfall.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #7
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the replies. Now I am wondering about germination. Cold and wet the last few days and probably wont warm up until sometime next week. Definitely not optimal for germination. Will this cause the seed to go bad or will it just delay germination?
Old March 14, 2009   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Yeah I'm in the same boat. Something tells me I will be running back to Lowe's and buying another pack of seeds and germinating indoors on a wet paper towel.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #9
duajones
Tomatovillian™

If I do replant, I may try to find an earlier variety
Old March 14, 2009   #10
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I have started Northern Hybrid Bi-color.. 67 days. I have plenty of extra seed so let me know if you would like some.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2009   #11
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Ray, thanks for the offer and I appreciate your genorisity as always. Kandy Korn is 80 plus days and I am not familiar with any variety and truthfully havent done much research. But after reading how people rave about homegrown corn that is picked and immediately thrown into a pot of boiling water, and how great it is, I would like to experience that
Old March 14, 2009   #12
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

Here is the direct link to the Northern Hybrid Bi-color 67 day sweet corn. Let me know if you need 50 seeds, or so, and I can get them in the mail to you on Monday.

http://gurneys.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_14442

Ray
Old March 15, 2009   #13
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Ray, again thanks for your offer. I guess I will know if my seeds have rotted or will germinate in the next few days. If I do need to replant and you think the variety you are offering will do well in my area, I will definitely take you up on the seed offer. Knowing nothing about corn, the variety you mention appears to be bred for Northern growing conditions and of course I am in deep South East Texas.
Not that it means anything but just curious as a complete newb when it comes to corn period.

Duane
Old March 15, 2009   #14
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Duane,

I would recommend you try 3 or so varieties to see which works best for your zone. I'll be happy to kit up 3 varieties to send you to try this season.

Ray
Old March 15, 2009   #15
duajones
Tomatovillian™

I only have the one bed for corn. Are you suggesting I grow 3 varieties in the same bed? Staggered planting maybe?