Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discuss your tips, tricks and experiences growing and selling vegetables, fruits, flowers, plants and herbs.

Old June 18, 2013   #31
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Gardener View Post
Isn't there a board that oversees the operation of the market? It would seem that having a few vendors arriving early in order to take business away from others is not how the market is supposed to work. OTOH, if you show up two hours early, you get the 'best' stuff from that vendor and miss all the other vendors so the problem may 'fix' itself in time.
We are at the mercy of a very small village for our market...and I say mercy very loosely, as they are great to us. We close the side street to set up for the market, but no one goes any earlier than the set up time because our opening time is 9:00 AM. We are out EARLY picking and packing the berries and tomatoes for the day.
We had a problem of "Purveyors" telling everyone they grew all their produce (which is the rule for our market), BUT when they come with out of season produce or already bagged in commercial net bags such as potatoes or onions, tomatoes by the case/flat...really? you grew that?, washed it, dried it, packed it and had a source for those bags with machine fastened tops? fancy fan top onions...cleaned without a spot of dirt anywhere... Just how big is your farm? (because I know how much room it takes to get a flat of #1 tomatoes or 50 pounds of grade a potatoes.... or 50 melons)....I decided to go visit his garden one day just to see where he gardened.He had a tepee trellis for it looked like a cucumber in the back yard. Un Huh! you grew all that stuff, huh?... The produce auctioneer probably had his number memorized after the first night out at the Amish produce auction barn.

SO, we all decided ( we are a vendor governed market) to do garden inspections to make sure people were actually growing some or most of their produce or even had a garden. before we allowed them a space for their booth...none of those vendors signed up for the year.
Old June 20, 2013   #32
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Isn't there a board that oversees the operation of the market? It would seem that having a few vendors arriving early in order to take business away from others is not how the market is supposed to work. OTOH, if you show up two hours early, you get the 'best' stuff from that vendor and miss all the other vendors so the problem may 'fix' itself in time.
yeah but....

The gal that is the market manager is also the wife of one of the vendors. Even sells at his table. So there ya go.

I have moved on to other markets.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20, 2013   #33
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post

SO, we all decided ( we are a vendor governed market) to do garden inspections to make sure people were actually growing some or most of their produce or even had a garden. before we allowed them a space for their booth...none of those vendors signed up for the year.
you gotta do what you gotta do- trying to run a producer only market without farm inspections is unfortunately impossible.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2013   #34
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

I have managed to dodge my tomato squeezer so far, but tomorrow is a new day and the same place she always visits....I haven't posted when the market is, so maybe no one has mentioned it to her....not that she buys anything anyhow. She just tells me about all the "stuff" she is growing on her patio.
Old June 26, 2013   #35
natural
Tomatovillian™

I am not selling this year, however, here are some blasts from the past...

If your child pulls an entire flat of tomatoes off of my table, at least acknowledge the act and maybe offer to pick them up. Don’t simply look down at the mess and then walk away.

If you let your dog lick my produce, you have bought it.

If your DOG takes a great big dump in front of my stand, pick it up. I suppose the empty plastic garbage bag that you carry is just for show.

If your CHILD takes a great big dump in front of my stand, pick it up. (Just kidding. This one has not happened…yet. But nothing would surprise me.)
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #36
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I had the dog thing happen in front of my stand and it got walked all over by the crowd. What a mess !!!

That and dog fights has had dogs banned for quite a few years now at the Madison market. Except service dogs of course.

I have some produce that tends to draw an ethnic customer base. Some of them can be quite obnoxious at times. Poking thru a whole crate of eggplant for the "perfect" (to them) one and bruising 20+ in the process. Dickering on prices. I know it's customary where you come from but not here. I will give a bit at times (depends on your attitude). But don't dicker down to next to nothing then try to give me a $50 to pay for it.(it happened). Oh and don't insult the produce. That won't get you a better price. I know my quality is better than anything you will find in any store.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2013   #37
natural
Tomatovillian™

I have sold at several markets in the past. It is an amazing difference to sell at a "growers only" market versus a mixed market where resellers are allowed. I will never sell at a mixed market again. Too many different categories of customers that have too many different expectations. When the resellers sell out of their $1 per pound items, the customers expect the same price from our stand. No chance! Maybe I will sell you the items that the dog licked for $1
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #38
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Natural,

I know EXACTLY what you mean about those "mixed" markets. I used to sell at a local flea market that had an area set aside for "farmers". But of the 30 or so vendors in that area there were only MAYBE 6 actual farmers.

And of the other vendors, there were 2 or sometimes 3 grades of produce -- good actual wholesale vendors, people that bought from wholesale vendors, and people that bought the stuff the wholesalers were looking to get rid of (often on the verge of rotten). Us actual farmers had better stuff than any of the others but couldn't get a reasonable price due to all the dickering and low priced junk.

I only go there now if we are REALLY desperate. Didn't go there at all yet this year. I don't need the headaches and frustration.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #39
Vespertino
Tomatovillian™

I was glad when the NYC Union Square Market became strict and only allowed local growers in the 90's. The produce was AMAZING after that. I haven't been to the Dallas farmer's market yet, but we have a little one in Grapevine I'm checking out this weekend and see what kind of yummy tomatoes and veggies I can score!
Vespertino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #40
Master_Gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by natural View Post
I am not selling this year, however, here are some blasts from the past...

If your child pulls an entire flat of tomatoes off of my table, at least acknowledge the act and maybe offer to pick them up. Don’t simply look down at the mess and then walk away.

If you let your dog lick my produce, you have bought it.

If your DOG takes a great big dump in front of my stand, pick it up. I suppose the empty plastic garbage bag that you carry is just for show.

If your CHILD takes a great big dump in front of my stand, pick it up. (Just kidding. This one has not happened…yet. But nothing would surprise me.)
Prior to this thread, I might have considered selling at a farmers market. Now, I will just take notes and perhaps write a book about selling at a farmers market.

It's funny and also sad at the same time.

I had a problem with slugs. I tried using beer but it didn't work, until I gave it to the slugs.
Master_Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #41
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't let the nature of retail turn you off of selling.

The good customers make it worthwhile. Especially if you're selling something you have a passion for, and they're seeking it out because they have that same passion! Just have to be prepared to teach as well as sell.

I have tons of horror stories, but I have far more stories of customers who showed me pictures of their kids, who gave me family heirloom recipes, who came back to buy the ingredients I taught them about the week before, who became regulars.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2013   #42
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Prior to this thread, I might have considered selling at a farmers market. Now, I will just take notes and perhaps write a book about selling at a farmers market.

It's funny and also sad at the same time.
No, No, No don't let us keep you from selling.. This is funny and sad at the same time, but these are the very few of all the customers that are frustrating. Most customers are kind, considerate, thoughtful and VERY thankful that there are people who actually grow the vegetables and fruit and pick it the day of the market. They are regular customers who are there week in and week out supporting the market so we can grow pick and sell the food. I love to grow...I don't care so much to pick it, but that has to be done, too. They make it possible so I can sell it.
Old July 2, 2013   #43
Keger
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I had the dog thing happen in front of my stand and it got walked all over by the crowd. What a mess !!!

That and dog fights has had dogs banned for quite a few years now at the Madison market. Except service dogs of course.

I have some produce that tends to draw an ethnic customer base. Some of them can be quite obnoxious at times. Poking thru a whole crate of eggplant for the "perfect" (to them) one and bruising 20+ in the process. Dickering on prices. I know it's customary where you come from but not here. I will give a bit at times (depends on your attitude). But don't dicker down to next to nothing then try to give me a $50 to pay for it.(it happened). Oh and don't insult the produce. That won't get you a better price. I know my quality is better than anything you will find in any store.

Carol
Yup...

And don't drop an arrogant attitude... Just don't.

Of course down here I have been working markets since February. Last Saturday it was 107 in the shade.

Time for a break I think.
Keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2013   #44
joseph
Tomatovillian™

Yup. There are some days, when it's too hot, and my leg is aching too bad, and I have an allergy, and it's muddy, and I want to skip going to market. And then I think of Mandy, and Pat, and Casey, and that guy that always stops by to chat and never buys anything and I don't have a clue what his name is, and then I pick the berries, and harvest the peas, and pull the onions and head into the farmer's market.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2013   #45
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keger View Post
Yup...

And don't drop an arrogant attitude... Just don't.

Of course down here I have been working markets since February. Last Saturday it was 107 in the shade.

Time for a break I think.
Yep...vacation or something. We do get worn pretty thin by the end of the season, but ours is due to cold, wet, yucky weather. I can see how you need a break. You have a long market season. the markets around here start close to Memorial Day and end at the end of Sept/Oct. and we are ready to be done. Clean up the gardens, the greenhouses, hightunnels etc. and wind down.