Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 11, 2016   #1
Traveler237
Tomatovillian™

Default Identifying Peach Leaf Disease

I was out back yesterday and noticed issues spreading on my Peach Tree!
It was cold and damp the last 4 days with Rain, and 80 degrees right before that.
I've had two sprayings of Neem Oil over the last two weeks.

Also noticed that some leaves have dropped off the tree.

I just cannot identify what this is? It's spread sporadically around my tree.

Might it be Nitrogen Deficiency or Rust?

Any assistance appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160410_153625.jpg (223.8 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_153644.jpg (299.4 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_185816.jpg (251.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg 20160410_185819.jpg (254.7 KB, 40 views)
Traveler237 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #2
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Looks like Bacterial Spot to me. Xanthomonas campestris pv. pruni , especially since I see what looks like alot of shot holes in the leaves from where the bacterial spot has completely gone through the whole leaf.

Lots of rain will bring it on. You may want to send a good size sample of various leaves to your local County Extention Service. They will usually send off to the pathology labs for free for you at local universities and tell you how to treat.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #3
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Shot holes can be made by a number of things. Shot hole fungus is another besides Bacterial Spot. it is most likely bacterial spot. The most effective treatment is Oxytetracycline. An antibiotic which you probably cannot get without a pesticide license. Captan and copper are your other alternatives but only give modest control and can damage leaves big-time if misused. You should always spray copper on peach trees 2-3 times a year when dormant. You're in CA so Valentine's Day, Christmas and Easter are the best times. You can spray now but need a small dose. You also need a sticker. Bacterial Spot can spread unto the fruit too.
http://msue.anr.msu.edu/news/managem...and_nectarines

The best copper product to use is Kocide, and use Nu film 17 a a sticker. If you want to use the very best sticker and the strongest copper and most effective. You will have to purchase online. Dose for Kocide is 2tb per gallon. Since it's give per acre, you might need that info.
If your peach is O'Henry for sure it is Bacterial Spot as it is a magnet for the disease. Too bad as the fruit is outstanding. One of the best!

Last edited by drew51; April 12, 2016 at 09:46 AM.
drew51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #4
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Traveler... I would follow Drew's recommendations. He grows lots and lots of different kinds of beautiful fruits and knows his stuff.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #5
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Drew, what about spraying a bleach solution, or peroxide? Would that work?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2016   #6
drew51
Tomatovillian™

If you want to go with stuff you can find locally. Any liquid copper spray would help. Like Liqui-cop (The best of the liquid coppers) and Bonides sticker would do. You should be able to find these at any garden center. You will need a pump sprayer.
Make sure to follow label directions exactly, as I said chance of injury to leaves if you use too much. Kocide is Copper Hydroxide and the 2tb dose was as a dormant spray only after leaves fall. Not what you need now, the liquid coppers might even be better for this situation and you can still use them as dormant sprays. I think Kocide is not allowed in CA anyway.

Captan is another option you should find locally and probably works better or just as well as copper. One thing with this, you must use neutral water to mix, buy a gallon of distilled water or use rainwater. Tap water will neutralize the Captan, not worth even putting on.

For anybody growing fruit trees try to find Nufilm 17 sticker to use with pesticides. it is made with pinene which is an extract of pine trees. Kinda like a clear pine tar. Provides UV protection too, thus pesticides don't break down on tree as fast. Look at this photos these are sweet cherry flower buds after 12 hours of straight rain. Look at the stems see the copper? I applied 2 days earlier. The rain didn't touch it!

Last edited by drew51; April 12, 2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old April 12, 2016   #7
drew51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Drew, what about spraying a bleach solution, or peroxide? Would that work?

The bleach might work, but I don't know? I never did it. It's not a conventional solution. I know it works with tomatoes, some here have used it and claim it works. They may be able to give better advice on dosage and stuff. Hydrogen Peroxide is not going to hurt, so worth a try, heck that would be great if it works!
You could try a test area first with both! I don't think HP will hurt? Better test first!
I would treat it with something as this can infect fruit (see link I provided in my first post).
Make sure to pick up all fallen leaves and get them out of your yard!

Last edited by drew51; April 12, 2016 at 11:04 AM.