Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 14, 2016   #1
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

Default Insect eggs or malformed flower buds?

I found some strange looking flower bud clusters on a few of the micro dwarf multiflora tomatoes I am growing out. Outside, they had a yellow tinge, but it isn't coming through in the pictures. I plucked them off the plants, in case it is an infestation. I see no evidence of bugs on any of the plants, but would like your opinions.
Thanks!
Carrie
clkingtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Premature flower buds. Dont cut those off they will be tomatoes.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #3
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

OOPs, lol! They didn't seem to be connected to the stalk the same way as the recognizable buds, and I was so concerned about it being eggs, I snipped them off. I won't clip any more, if they are buds...

Thanks,
Carrie
Old April 14, 2016   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Some of those do look like "malformed" flower buds. Actually callus-like tissue. Often a sign of plant growth regulator (hormone) imbalance.

Since some herbicides act like plant hormones, it could be that. Do you have a spray--crazy neighbor?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #5
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

That is it! The picture in that wikipedia article is exactly like what I have! LOL about the neighbor, but I don't think that is the case. Their back yard weeds and grass are about as high as the fence between the yards, and every weed looks very healthy!

Do plants have hormone imbalances without outside interference? Could it be genetic or does it have to be environmental? Some of my plants are planted in a soil mixture with cotton burr compost, wonder if there is some herbicide residue.... I have about 30 other plants in this mixture, including tomatoes, and the only ones I am seeing this on(so far) are the micro-multifloras.

Interesting...

Thanks,
Carrie
Old April 14, 2016   #6
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

It can definitely be genetic.

I have seen this occasionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkingtx View Post
That is it! The picture in that wikipedia article is exactly like what I have! LOL about the neighbor, but I don't think that is the case. Their back yard weeds and grass are about as high as the fence between the yards, and every weed looks very healthy!

Do plants have hormone imbalances without outside interference? Could it be genetic or does it have to be environmental? Some of my plants are planted in a soil mixture with cotton burr compost, wonder if there is some herbicide residue.... I have about 30 other plants in this mixture, including tomatoes, and the only ones I am seeing this on(so far) are the micro-multifloras.

Interesting...

Thanks,
Carrie
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Even though I am an advocate of cotton seed meal as the seed is protected by the cotton around it.
A cotton burr could very well have some sort of defoliant on it.
You know you was raised of farming if you know what a cotton burr is.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2016   #8
clkingtx
Tomatovillian™

I know what a cotton burr is because my mom made sure I knew. She was raised very poor, and her mother and all her siblings would pick cotton. My mom remembers her mom picking bolls, carrying her newest baby(born the day before) in a gunny sack. Tough, strong lady.

Anyway, I hope it's not the compost, I had researched the brand advertised at the store, and verified they used no chemicals, and then when I got the stuff home, I was just sick when I realized it was a different brand! A brand I can't find any information on! All the plants are doing fantastic(except for one who was puny prior to planting out), already making fruit, this is the only oddity so far.

Carrie