Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 14, 2006   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default How does Orange Russian 117 taste?

Hi All,

How does Orange Russian 117 taste? I saw a few pictures of it online and I think that it is a beautiful tomato. I am already thinking about adding it to my 2007 lineup. I just don't want to be suckered with a pretty but horrible tasting tomato (i.e. my experience with Copia).

Thanks for your feedback.

Cheers,

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2006   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Opinions/tastes can vary - and different varieties can perform differently in different seasons and in different gardens! To further complicate matters, Copia (and perhaps Orange Russian 117) are recently "created" varieties out of crosses, so are not necessarily uniform or stable.

With all of that as context for my comments - and I did not like Copia at all (right down there with Vintage Wine as nearly inedible), my one experience with Orange Russian 117 was only marginally better. Pretty to look at...but not nearly the first (or 100th choice) to consume!

Others have had much more luck with it, so could be my soil/season/strain/personal taste!
Old June 14, 2006   #3
Little_Rhody
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

The first year I grew it (2003), I thought it was fantastic. Probably my favorite that year. I grew it in 2004 from my own saved seeds and it was a flop. Then I ordered seed from TGS for 2005 and all the seedlings appeared to be diseased. So this year I requested seed from the person who introduced it to SSE and I'm hoping for that awesome tomato I had 3 years ago. I quess you could say that's variable!
Old June 14, 2006   #4
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

I got the impression that Orange Russian #117 was a recent intentional cross of Russian #117 and Georgia Streak by Jeff Dawson. I've heard that it's one of the few bicolors that hasn't been added to the "typical bland bicolor" list. I have seeds and will try it out next spring.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2006   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

The one time I grew it, Or Rus 117 would certainly be a member of the bland bicolor club! In fact, only Lucky Cross and Little Lucky, to my palate, escape the bland bicolor list...and I've tried plenty of them. It could be that my (and my wife's) taste buds just don't get tantalized by what the vast majority of the bicolors have to offer. I also think that the Brandywine heritage of LL and LX contribute significantly to improved flavor.
Old June 14, 2006   #6
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Lord, I need a bigger tomato garden just to try all these varieties. I was reasonably happy with Old German, btw, which usually gets panned. But maybe it's because it was the first (and probably only for this spring's season) heirloom I got to taste from my garden.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2006   #7
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nctomatoman
In fact, only Lucky Cross and Little Lucky, to my palate, escape the bland bicolor list....
A little off topic, but will any other seed companies aside from Victory Seeds be carrying Little Lucky seeds in 2007?

Angelique
angelique is offline   Reply With Quote