Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 15, 2015   #181
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

Looks like you are going to have an exciting crop of yummy beautiful tomatoes this fall... :-)

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #182
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imthechuck View Post
I kind of gave up on spraying for white flies and aphids.....

They stay off of my tomato plants, at least the healthy ones!

Now hot/sweet peppers are another story, the whiteflys love them. I gave up on heirlooms and only growing hybrid peppers bread for strong diseases resistance this year... we shall seee

The pressure is just too great and all the organic solutions just don't seem to work effectively
Yellow sticky traps. Doesnt get more organic than that! They work beautifully. See post #18 on the first page. Whiteflies and leafminers, and thrips are all very strongly attracted to the yellow color. I just haven't had an issue at all since I started using them. I get them at Amazon.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #183
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Yellow sticky traps. Doesnt get more organic than that! They work beautifully. See post #18 on the first page. Whiteflies and leafminers, and thrips are all very strongly attracted to the yellow color. I just haven't had an issue at all since I started using them. I get them at Amazon.
Agreed! They are amazing. Thanks Marsha for the tip a while back. White flies, thrips, and all kinds of nasties. I never had a bee, bumblee bee, or lizard get stuck on them. One time a dragon fly, but only once.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #184
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could use them - (lizards) My seedlings have leafminer lines and white flies. Neither affect mature plants either.

I even tried another one that Park Seed sells that is not intense enough to stick a lizard; unfortunately, the only white flies I got was when I shook the plant and it flew into it; and 1 day later it was barely sticky.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15, 2015   #185
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Barb,

Looks like you are going to have an exciting crop of yummy beautiful tomatoes this fall... :-)

Ginny
Hopefully, but I'm much better at the seedling and pre-fruit stage.

I'm using one of my White EB to cart the larger pots in/out of the sun/rain.
You can see the off white color, compared to the white plastic bin.

---
Ginger - you can see how the white bag on the terra-cotta EB. (not cut for the water-tube).
Old September 15, 2015   #186
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
Hopefully, but I'm much better at the seedling and pre-fruit stage.

I'm using one of my White EB to cart the larger pots in/out of the sun/rain.
You can see the off white color, compared to the white plastic bin.

---
Ginger - you can see how the white bag on the terra-cotta EB. (not cut for the water-tube).
Barb, did the image come through?
Old September 15, 2015   #187
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
Agreed! They are amazing. Thanks Marsha for the tip a while back. White flies, thrips, and all kinds of nasties. I never had a bee, bumblee bee, or lizard get stuck on them. One time a dragon fly, but only once.

Ginny
An added advantage is the moth that lays tomato fruitworm eggs is very attracted to the blue ones, which I also use.

Barb, you are lucky they don't affect your mature plants. Down here we are so infested that they definitely do.
Old September 15, 2015   #188
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Marsha - the pics are the last post of the previous page. (Post 180).

Sorry, I called you Ginger instead of your name.

I haven't seen moths in months; I will get a tomato hornworm here and there but not too often. I love watching the lizards grab the moth.
Old September 16, 2015   #189
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I think the original Florida post started talking about fall rain. Is everyone else getting daily deluges? I now have waterfront property and side front too. Since I grow in raised beds and SWCs it is not too bad for me.

The problem I am dealing with now is at the extension demonstration garden. I talked them into ordering more asparagus crowns and they arrived this afternoon. When I dug the trenches last week to get ready they were standing in water. You cannot really leave them laying around waiting for dry weather and more rain is predicted. I requested a bale of peat moss. I am going to put that in the trenches dry to act like a sponge. I will then cover it with soil and horse manure so hopefully that will counter act the acidity of the peat. I hope this work because crown rot is a real problem. I am doing a presentation to a garden group and giving them a tour in October and I really want them to see that you can grow asparagus in north Florida.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #190
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

We are getting the daily deluges of rain also. Mostly in the afternoons but today was throughout the day but any hard rain was short lived. My seedlings just stayed in the edge of the porch to get the most light.

My asparagus is in a raised bed and never had the dead drying out time this year. Spikes up and seems like it is a 3' fern before I notice it. I need to cut them down so I can enjoy eating them.

Good luck with the asparagus crowns.

We were so dry from April - July and now so much water. I haven't seen standing water anywhere so the ground/sand is absorbing it.
Old September 16, 2015   #191
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Pouring, thundering, lightning for hours today. My newly transplanted seedlings are stuck on the patio, and I want to get them more light so desperately, but can't put them out in this stuff!
Old September 16, 2015   #192
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Tons of rain: glad I decided to put chlorine in the pool this morning
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16, 2015   #193
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Lots of rain in Orlando. I thought I might have to start watering my yard again in September, but not so far.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #194
Imthechuck
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
awesome I am going to try this year, I'll surround my little 6x6 pepper area
Imthechuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2015   #195
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

The rain took on a new meaning this AM. Finally just drizzling and lighter outside. Plants are now on the edge of the porch to get more light,

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
.....I use a 18 inch skewer(treated,velcro wrapped seedlings when thick/old enough)..
I meant to ask this earlier but got distracted:

What do you mean RE: " use a 18 inch skewer(treated,velcro wrapped seedlings when thick/old enough)"

and

I remember you must have posted a pic of your screened area with your plants - everything looked so neat. I'm impressed when tomato plants look really neat.
Anyway, when they are in their buckets with the saucers underneath, are you bottom watering them?

Thanks again for info,