Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 25, 2018   #16
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

I am all in, Carolyn!

Get 'er up running, and I'm certain you will witness a stampede to join in.

(Not that we'd abandon T-ville, heck no..)

It would be nice to have a second website to see, since Gardenweb has lost its flavor on the bedpost overnight, so to speak..
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #17
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't leave Tville either, at least not right away, and I don't know in what capacity I'd stay here either, I guess maybe alive would be the best way of putting it.

Carolyn
Old May 25, 2018   #18
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

I'm always in favor of having two healthy tomato websites in case one goes down for any reason (and I don't like Houzz/Gardenweb). They can be complimentary and don't necessarily have to be competitive.
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #19
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Lovely sounding names, Carolyn, I would happily test drive a Golden Honeysuckle or a Lilac Rose

Not tempted to grow a variety called Heinz ...

Names aren't everything, but I like the varieties where the name gives at least some sort of inkling where one is headed to. Amber Colored, Black Krim, Orange Strawberry, Orange Banana, Green Zebra... at least, they mean something

I have been browsing some Russian gardening sites (no, I don't understand much), and the names of some of the varieties... At one site I came across a strawberry variety called Eva Braun.. Those familiar with world history may know who that person was. The strawberry variety might be the most delicious in the world, but I wouldn't be tempted to choose it from among cultivars like Queen Elizabeth or Victoria... Only a history buff might find some perverse delight in growing an Eva Braun in their garden.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #20
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here are the initials of several folks here at Tville who have not posted about my new varieties.

SC
LD
SL
PS
NL
CL
NK
FF
AA
ME

.....and many more.

And why didn't they post?

Because they know me all too well and recognized that I was paradizing,if that's a word, the obsessions of some as to why or why not tomato variety names are,or are not important to them.

Why not say I?

So no , there is no new website at all, I was just having a bit of fun and enjoyed every minute, but it's time to speak up, say I.

But thinking about it a bit more, why couldn't I start a contest,yes,a naming contest for tomato varieties for some local folks here where I live. I could place an ad in The Eagle, also
the Post Star,also at the local Agway, DBA as A and J Enterprises,also at the local Stewarts,a convenience chain of stores, get someone to post about it on the bulletin board outside the local library,ah,the options are endless.

Carolyn, but then who would be judge and jury to decide the winners,there will 5 of them and they can submit up to 20 names, and what will their collective prizes be?
Old May 25, 2018   #21
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I like the history behind some of these tomatoes. My favorite name i think is DIRTY GIRL. A really nice plant.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #22
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

I like GGWT. Not just the name, history but most importantly the taste. And it is a looker. Beautiful fruit on productive plant.

The name JUST catches your attention. Name is important to catch your attention but once few people grow it and do not like the taste or production it is done.

So, great tomato will be great no matter the name.

I only grow about 40 varieties per year and about half of them are new and another half are repeaters. I read descriptions and comments and there are people whose recommendations I trust. Great addition is pictures posted on TV and other websites.

I make my choices after long research. Many of as do.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #23
Groundhog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
I like the history behind some of these tomatoes. My favorite name i think is DIRTY GIRL. A really nice plant.
I had to lol when I saw that name. On a few occasions I've been referred to as a dirty old man so this might be the tomato for me
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #24
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
...I make my choices after long research. Many of us do.
Oh, yes! Hours & hours...

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #25
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
I like GGWT. Not just the name, history but most importantly the taste. And it is a looker. Beautiful fruit on productive plant.

The name JUST catches your attention. Name is important to catch your attention but once few people grow it and do not like the taste or production it is done.

So, great tomato will be great no matter the name.

I only grow about 40 varieties per year and about half of them are new and another half are repeaters. I read descriptions and comments and there are people whose recommendations I trust. Great addition is pictures posted on TV and other websites.

I make my choices after long research. Many of as do.
I also love GGWT- a story involving a dog named Girl Girl, and an aberrant Green Zebra plant. Some names just stick! Hey, how about Stick? Can't forget that curly leaf exception in the variety Stokesdale from 1953! And Post Office Spoonful, a fantastic pimpenellifolium brought forward by Nan and has a story of old-fashioned love behind it. By the way Nan, I found a volunteer POS and planted her in a pot, and she is taking off!! I think there are great stories behind many of the names that we grow every year
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #26
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Here are the initials of several folks here at Tville who have not posted about my new varieties.

SC
LD
SL
PS
NL
CL
NK
FF
AA
ME

.....and many more.

And why didn't they post?

Because they know me all too well and recognized that I was paradizing,if that's a word, the obsessions of some as to why or why not tomato variety names are,or are not important to them.

Why not say I?

So no , there is no new website at all, I was just having a bit of fun and enjoyed every minute, but it's time to speak up, say I.

But thinking about it a bit more, why couldn't I start a contest,yes,a naming contest for tomato varieties for some local folks here where I live. I could place an ad in The Eagle, also
the Post Star,also at the local Agway, DBA as A and J Enterprises,also at the local Stewarts,a convenience chain of stores, get someone to post about it on the bulletin board outside the local library,ah,the options are endless.

Carolyn, but then who would be judge and jury to decide the winners,there will 5 of them and they can submit up to 20 names, and what will their collective prizes be?

Carolyn, you are full of mischief today.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2018   #27
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

deleted, Jokes on me. Have to refresh to see the latest before I post, lol

Last edited by SueCT; May 25, 2018 at 11:27 PM.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #28
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
I had to lol when I saw that name. On a few occasions I've been referred to as a dirty old man so this might be the tomato for me
He, he, he. Dirty girl is quite early too.
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #29
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Speaking of names...a friend over on The Saturday Morning Garden Blog (DailyKos) is having trouble finding info on a variety she bought in one of those upside-down thingys. She was told that it is called "Sweet Seraphim", a very sweet grape tomato. I came up empty over at Tatiania's. Anybody got any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jon

~Jon~ Downheah, Mississippi

Last edited by Goodloe; May 26, 2018 at 01:02 PM.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018   #30
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
Speaking of names...a friend over on The Saturday Morning Garden Blog (DailyKos) is having trouble finding info on a variety she bought in one of those upside-down thingys. She was told that it is called "Sweet Seraphim", a very sweet grape tomato. I came up empty over at Tatiania's. Anybody got any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jon
I'm wondering if there even is a tomato called Sweet Seraphim.

Here's a Google search I did for it

https://books.google.com/books?id=4W...tomato&f=false

You be the judge.

Carolyn,who has had Google as a very close friend for many years.