Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old February 5, 2009   #1
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Default Uncle Steve's Italian Pole Bean--Off-type seeds

Uncle Steve's Italian pole bean is a great tasting bean. There are some off-types that show up. In the photo, the group in the upper left is the "normal" type and the other three groups are off-types. Most were of the type in the lower left, a few were the darker sort in the upper right, and one seed was a "bicolor." I could distinguish two types of beans: the normal green background with reddish-purple striping, and a purple podded type. I bought my seeds from Sandhill last year.

DSC_7897 Uncle Steve's Italian pole types.jpg

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6, 2009   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

ruth

i get a few seeds every so often that are mostly purple like the ones on the lower left. i have 6-10 from the past year. some times one side only will be purple. i have noticed sometimes the pod with the purple seeds is more purple than green, but i can't say its always like that. the seeds on the upper right in the photo look really dark. thats something new to me. what did the pod look like, and how did it taste? the only purple pod pole bean i grew was prior to 2003. i don't have the garden notes with me for the year i grew it. seeds came in a trade. it wasn't very close to the uncle steve beans, and it didn't like growing in calumet too much. i'd be surprised if there was a cross there. my seeds and pods have looked alright the past couple of years except for the occasional purple seed. i'm only saving one or 2 hundred seeds a year though. darryl jones who provided the seeds for sandhill had something like 5 lbs of seed saved. there may be more off types showing up due to sheer numbers of seed. darryl went to a lot of effort rouging out off types, but said some still may show up.

chime in if anyone else had off types seeds.

keith

Last edited by rxkeith; February 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM.
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2009   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Here's a further observation: the background color from the SHP seeds (from Darrell) and the ones I saved from beans grown from that seed seem different, although there is overlap. The seed in the bottom middle (sitting on top of the U of Uncle) came from the SHP seeds and looks like what I got. Could it be environmental? Any thoughts, anyone?

The beans on the top left of the first photo are the same as the ones on the right of the second photo.

DSC_7897 Uncle Steve's Italian pole types.jpgDSC_7939 Uncle Steve's beans RET vs SHP.jpg

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Old February 7, 2009   #4
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

The difference in seed coat color in the two "normal" Uncle Steve's might be related to this. Just a guess.

Quote:
Published online 16 January 2008
Published in Crop Sci 48:189-193 (2008)
© 2008 Crop Science Society of America
677 S. Segoe Rd., Madison, WI 53711 USA

Slow Darkening in Pinto Bean (Phaseolus vulgaris L.) Seed Coats Is Controlled by a Single Major Gene

Donna C. Junk-Knievel, Albert Vandenberg and Kirstin E. Bett*
Dep. of Plant Sciences, Univ. of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, SK, Canada S7N 5A8
* Corresponding author (k.bett@usask.ca
Postharvest seed coat darkening is a significant problem in pinto beans (Phaseolus vulgaris L.), resulting in product that is undesirable to consumers and that is discounted in the marketplace. There is a range in the rate and extent of darkening among pinto germplasm and recently, slow-darkening (SD) lines have been identified. Line 1533-15, an SD line from the University of Saskatchewan, was crossed to CDC Pintium, a regular darkening pinto, and seed of F1 and F2 individuals and F5:6 recombinant inbred lines were assessed for their darkening phenotype. Segregation data indicated that there is a single, recessive gene that controls the SD phenotype. All F2 individuals from a cross between 1533-15 and Pinto Saltillo, another SD line, were slow-darkening suggesting that the phenotype is controlled by the same gene in both lines. The simple genetics of this trait should facilitate the introduction of this trait into breeding programs, thereby increasing the quality of pinto beans being developed

Old February 7, 2009   #5
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

And some more information. I'm still looking for something less technical than this for starters. The stuff beyond the introduction was over my head.

McClean et al. Journal of Heredity 2002:93(2) p.148

beans JHered 2002 p48.pdf

Old February 8, 2009   #6
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

I'm reading this thread hoping you can find the info you need; it's something I've wondered about beans also.

~* Robin
Old February 8, 2009   #7
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

these seeds tend to darken as they age. i have some old,old seeds that are dark brown. some years some will be a bit darker from the get go. i thought maybe it might be weather related conditions as the bean was maturing. as long as the plants were healthy, productive, and the beans good tasting, i was never concerned about the color change. interesting reading though.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote