Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 3, 2006   #1
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant/Leaf Habit of Heidi

I read the Plant/Foliage in Carolyn's book, I guess what I would like to know about are stem leaves, These are ones that seem to be growing along the stem. Is this Normal, a mutation or the fact that she was decapitated after a day in the ground?
Transplanted May4th, Decapitated(no leaves left) May5th, Dug up May 7th, Re Transplanted May29th and all i can say is one very determined plant )

Even has a few fruit so far. (Taken July2nd)

Thanks )
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3, 2006   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

JB,

I really can't speak to the leaves you show in the first picture when the leaves in the second picture are clearly RL. I don't really distinguish between leaves that come out directly from a stem and those that are part of the branching pattern of a stem. Often leaf shapes on the same plant will chnage with time, so track those leaves and see what happens to them re shape.

All I can say is that since I got the seeds from Heidi many years ago the variety has been a low growing determinate with RL foliage.
Old July 3, 2006   #3
JBinKC
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I was just more curious about the leaves coming from the stem, I don't doubt that it is Heidi, at least at this point. The fruit is definately beginning to look like Heidi and the leaves are RL, Just thought it an odd place for leaves to grow and was thinking there was a name for it but my memory is so bad I can't think of what it is if there was one.

It may be enviromental, due to the stress and growth of the disasterous beginning, or anything, Just very interesting looking to me )

Hope you are feeling much much better )
JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote