Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old September 12, 2006   #1
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Gary O'Sena

I was looking at the linked members' websites here last night, as this forum is getting a little slow for me down here now — what with all my seeds sprouting and the excitement and expectation that accompanies spring weather — when I stumbled across some pics of some of your chariity crosses intended to raise money for research into autism.

I recognised one of those tomatoes in my seed-raising tray — Gary O'Sena — an interesting cross with good reviews, too. I can't recall how or from whom I got the seeds, but is there anything I can do to contribute? The only thing I'm not agreeing to is sharing the tomatoes

Is Gary stable? And what should I expect?

Thanks for your time and have a musical day.

- Grub
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006   #2
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

You probably got seeds from Suze or me, jeez , I thought my memory was failing LOL.
Keith will probably chime in here , but I think it is a stable selection from a Brandywine X Cherokee Purple cross.
Good parents eh.
Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2006   #3
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Great parents! And nice fertile seeds.
Grub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2006   #4
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Gary O'Sena was a good flavored but relatively less productive tomato compared to Liz Birt and Dora. The flavor is more on the dense smoky side to me. Fruit shape was a problem with a rather distinctive circular deformation near the blossom end scar. This is the same as Brandywine normally produces but was deeper.

Liz Birt was exceptional all the way around. The flavor is very similar to Cherokee Purple but with significantly increased production. The only flaw with this tomato was that I got a few plants that produced pink fruit. It needs another round or two of stabilization. The pink fruit were very good flavored so I considered saving them as a separate line. I am providing seed of Liz Birt to Sandhill Preservation for sale next year. I have about 50,000 seed saved from 24 plants.

Dora was very productive with liighter colored fruit than the other two. I would rank it as an almost pink like Brandywine. Flavor was outstanding. Production was medium. Dora's fruit form was significantly better than the other two. Gary O'Sena had a significan problem with blossom scar deformation. Dora made solid fruit down to a round or slightly stitched scar.

I will be growing all three varieties next year but will push the Liz Birt because of ease of growing and total production. I picked fruit from Liz Birt plants yesterday. They produced a heavy primary crop and have continued to set a few tomatoes for the last 3 months. Thats a looooong time in this neck of the woods.

I emphasize that all three of these varieties are easily ranked 8 or better for flavor. Production should also be kept in perspective. All of these were good with production comparable to Red Brandywine. Liz Birt stood out because it outproduced most other varieties.

Fusion
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2006   #5
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

My Gary has set 3 or 4 fruit on the first truss. Not a bad start me thinks. Its doing much better than either of its parents so far.
Old November 15, 2006   #6
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Gary is in the same selfwatering tub as Gregoris Altai and the pair of the boys are powering on like mad. Gary would have at least 15 fruit on it now and all a nice shape.
Will get a pic tonight if I remember.
Old November 16, 2006   #7
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

Here is Gary in the selfwatering tub in the greenhouse. I counted 16 fruit set so far.
Old November 26, 2006   #8
Mantis
Tomatovillian™

They are swelling well. I will be sure to post some pics when ripe. Really looking forward to this one.