Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 6, 2014   #1
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Default Wilting... due to fertilizer, hardening, or what?

So I transplanted a bunch of seedlings to 4" pots. I used potting mix and blending in some fertilizer targeted for tomatoes, some stuff I used last year with some success. I've been putting the pots outside for a good 5~6 hours when the temps are above 60F.

Almost half of them have suffered some wilting, a couple more severe than the others. The stems are fairly firm and straight, but the leaves were drooping over like resting palm trees. The others seem to be doing well and the leaves are showing signs of enlarging, the stems beginning to thicken.

I was worried that maybe I was watering them too much. I'm using a condiment style bottle to deliver water close to the stem so I am not soaking the entire soil base. I've done this about 3~4 times per day. It doesn't look to be "damp off".

Is it possible the fertilizer is too strong for some of the seedlings? Should I shorten the hardening time outside?

OTOH, I have some seedlings still in their trays nestled in soil-less seedling mix, which I also put outside and they didn't show any sign of wilting at all.
Old May 6, 2014   #2
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cythaenopsis View Post

I was worried that maybe I was watering them too much. I'm using a condiment style bottle to deliver water close to the stem so I am not soaking the entire soil base. I've done this about 3~4 times per day. It doesn't look to be "damp off".

Is it possible the fertilizer is too strong for some of the seedlings? Should I shorten the hardening time outside?

When watering make sure to water completely. you should not be watering 3-4 times a day. I water roughly every other day.

fertilizer should be used very mildly at this stage. no need to go crazy. I use about 1/4 strength

hardening off takes time. i do a full day in the shade, maybe a day or two with a half hour of morning sun and slowly increase for about a week. this is a difficult task when gone for work for the day. my plants spent a lot of time in the shade this year due to work schedule. better extra shade than too much sun for the first couple days though

hope this helps

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2014   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What is this "fertilizer targeted for tomatoes" that you used and at what dilution?
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2014   #4
cythaenopsis
Tomatovillian™

Sorry I got distracted and didn't return to this thread. The wilting was temporary. The plants jumped back and are thriving.

I'm using Jobe's Tomato Fertilizer. Actually two kinds. One is mixed in with the potting mix in the beginning, to give the plants a solid nutrition base. Later on, I use a Tomato Plant Food (also by Jobe's) that you add to water and mix thoroughly, then deliver to plants. Both come with instructions on proportions. I'm doing sub irrigated containers. This year I am NOT adding the fertilizer directly to the reservoir. I did that last time and it became a kind of "broth" for stuff to grow in and delighted the fungus gnats. I will top feed that to the plants so it disburses through the soil and less of it will hit the reservoir. I'll only add fresh water directly to the reservoirs.