Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 10, 2015   #1
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Default 30 day seedlings - Are they ok?

I have these under 1 little shop light with 2 bulbs. Judging from some videos on youtube and other people's seedlings at this age mine seem pretty small.

The first 2 days they sprouted I didn't have the shop light yet and they were under a small under counter light. I added a very small amount of fertilizer after I transplanted them.

Are these fellas struggling? Or will they be fine and be good little plants for me?

Last edited by MarcH.; February 10, 2015 at 11:15 PM.
MarcH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #2
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

They look good to me. Are those 4" clay pots?
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #3
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stvrob View Post
They look good to me. Are those 4" clay pots?
Yes. Are those ok? Picked em up at Lowes for $.79/piece.
Old February 10, 2015   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I think they look just fine. Give em a tiny pinch of fert, a little water and full sun, and watch em take off. I like that they are not all stretched out and leggy. Nice!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

They look healthy. Generally they tend to sit for a week or so after transplanting (growing roots) and then they take off. It also depends what variety they are and if they are warm or cool. cool temps slow down growth but depending on your planting date, that can be a good thing.
KO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #6
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

They look like lovely little tomato babies to me!
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #7
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
I think they look just fine. Give em a tiny pinch of fert, a little water and full sun, and watch em take off. I like that they are not all stretched out and leggy. Nice!
Cool. Will hold off on the full sun because I might have been a week or two early on my seeding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
They look healthy. Generally they tend to sit for a week or so after transplanting (growing roots) and then they take off. It also depends what variety they are and if they are warm or cool. cool temps slow down growth but depending on your planting date, that can be a good thing.
KO
Yeah I'm kinda glad they already aren't a foot tall. I plan on putting them out around March 9th-ish depending on weather. I hope they'll be ok for almost another month in those 4 inch pots.
Old February 10, 2015   #8
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

What varieties are they?
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2015   #9
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Paul Robeson in the top picture. The other is Burpee Queen of Hearts hybrid. My wife had the Robeson seeds from a failed attempt 2 years ago and I just picked up the Queen one's at the local nursery. Hope they aren't duds. Next year I will plan better and do a lot more variety....just getting my feet wet.

I get jealous reading all these greats lists with 30 varieties and such.
Old February 11, 2015   #10
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

I grew queen of hearts hybrid my first year growing, not a bad tomato. I have yet to grow Robeson though.

Your seedlings reminds me of the Isis candy I grew a couple of seasons ago! They were small like that.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2015   #11
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Are you in a situation where it's easy to get them outside in the sun? I imagine you get a fair share of sunny mild winter days that you could use. I'm 6 degrees latitude south of you, I try to get my plants outside everyday and just use lights in the evening to extend the daylength. I figure it's better to get them used to the sun now than having them thrust into the higher more intense March sun. I assume any day over 50 is ok for them to be outside. Others may have better opinions.
Old February 11, 2015   #12
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Are you in a situation where it's easy to get them outside in the sun? I imagine you get a fair share of sunny mild winter days that you could use. I'm 6 degrees latitude south of you, I try to get my plants outside everyday and just use lights in the evening to extend the daylength. I figure it's better to get them used to the sun now than having them thrust into the higher more intense March sun. I assume any day over 50 is ok for them to be outside. Others may have better opinions.
I can get them out no problem right now. I was just gonna do that 2 weeks from when I plan on planting. So probably weekend after this weekend (Feb 21).
Old February 11, 2015   #13
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure I see the advantage in waiting, are you worried they will get too biG for their 4" pots?
Old February 11, 2015   #14
MarcH.
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I'm not sure I see the advantage in waiting, are you worried they will get too biG for their 4" pots?
Yeah and seems like I've read a mixed bag about waiting til 2 weeks before planting to harden them off.
Old February 11, 2015   #15
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

that might be a good idea for higher latitudes, in that the sun goes from very dim at this time of year to scorching in May when they set them out, plus, the longer they are under lights,the more sensitive they are when actually set out in the sun. Where I live, the February sun is just about perfect for getting seedlings used to the sun without much danger of scorching, plus most days are in the 60's, or at least high 50's, so it's not so warm that the plants are liable to take off and grow to rapidly. Probably in Las Vegas, it's not so different?

Last edited by Stvrob; February 11, 2015 at 01:45 AM. Reason: one more thought...