Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old March 5, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Kefir

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FTREX 5 March 2013 Making Milk Kefir

A lady gave me some Kefir grains (bacteria) so I decided to go into the milk kefir business. Yesterday 500 ml of skim milk kefir was made. A new batch was prepared for use tomorrow. The is an ongoing process. The grains may be kept in the refrigerator for a few days if not desired to make a new batch immediately.This product is touted to have beneficial health benefits similar to yogurt.

Procedure is to strain out the grains, prepare 500ml of skim milk by bringing it to room temperature about 20 degrees centigrade. Mix the two ingredients, cap the jar with a coffee filter so the jar can breathe and place in a warm place for 240 hours.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

And it tastes great too!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
And it tastes great too!
I am still experimenting. The first batch was fine.
Old March 6, 2013   #4
Corinasim
Tomatovillian™

Benefits are above those of yogurt, but of the same kind. However, all these souring milk products have a bunch of bacteria that are beneficial for the body.
In old days people had a lot of bacteria in their food, that helped digestion and were beneficial . Those where in all souring dairy products-kefir, yogurt, sourmilk, chees...sourdough bread , all pickes that have lactic fermentation...
Concerning kefir, you have to stir it from time to time. When kefir was made by the tibetan people, they hanged the pouch with milk at their yourta tent, and friends that passed by knocked the pouch as a friendly gesture. That ,for shaking the kefir!
Corinasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2013   #5
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?FVKBV 7 March 2013. Next batch of Kefir.
This is another batch of Kefir using the original set of grains, continuing the indefinite process. Twenty four hour at 72F would appear to be about the correct time for fermentation. Skim milk appears to be working well. A daily batch (serving) for my purposes is about 500 ml of product. Two servings were made for this batch.
Old March 8, 2013   #6
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?NNQWE 8 March 2013 Skim Milk Kefir
A new batch of skim milk kefir. Fermentation was at 79F for 24 hours, which appears to be ideal. A serving is about 500ml. This batch is probably as good as it gets.
Old March 9, 2013   #7
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?LYVQQ 9 March 2013 Kefir Continuing using the bacteria produced from the last batch. I ingest (drink) about 500 ml per day and will see if there is any physical effects in 30 days, using myself as a guinea pig subject.
Old March 11, 2013   #8
roper2008
Tomatovillian™

Someone sent me a tablespoon of kefir grains last year. I
couldn't keep up with it so I gave it to someone else. It
made delicious smoothies. Now that I have a vitamix, and
enjoying making smoothies with yogurt, it is not as good
as the kefir milk...I need to get some more grains.
roper2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #9
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I've been buying kefir almost everyday since my childhood. We can buy it in every food store. It is a cult mild drink here in former USSR!

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #10
Tania
Tomatovillian™

We have been making our own kefir for a while now.

We like it when it ferments at lower temperatures (70-72F) for 24 hours for the best flavor. The consistency / texture is smooth and it is not too sour.

The best kefir is made from a milk that is higher in fat

We love our kefir, and cannot live without it.
I also make yogurt, so we use yogurt in smoothies, and drink plain kefir.

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I too love kefir.

There is a brand here in the mid-west in the stores. But it has too many additives and is too sweet. but in a pinch when I don't make my own, it's good. But way too expensive compared to making it yourself.

BTW Durgan, you should put a cap on your bottle. it's supposed to be made under a bit of pressure from the Co2 that comes from the grains. It makes it a slight bit fizzy.

For anyone looking for THE site about Kefir here is a wealth of info -- http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2013   #12
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I too love kefir.

There is a brand here in the mid-west in the stores. But it has too many additives and is too sweet. but in a pinch when I don't make my own, it's good. But way too expensive compared to making it yourself.

BTW Durgan, you should put a cap on your bottle. it's supposed to be made under a bit of pressure from the Co2 that comes from the grains. It makes it a slight bit fizzy.

For anyone looking for THE site about Kefir here is a wealth of info -- http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

Carol
Many thanks about the top on the jars. My next batch will be produced with a top.
Old March 12, 2013   #13
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?SFIZL 12 March 2013 Kefir.
Judging fermentation to be complete (30 hours at 79F), due to the solids precipitating out from the liquid, the mixture is further processed.The solids are separated from the liquid.A portion of the solids (two tablespoons/500 ml of skim milk) are utilized for the next batch and the remainder is ingested as required.The liquid is utilized as a drink.This will be my method of utilizing in the future.
Old March 14, 2013   #14
Corinasim
Tomatovillian™

Do you eat the solids?
Corinasim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2013   #15
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corinasim View Post
Do you eat the solids?
Method is to mix by shaking and taking some material for the next batch, then drinking or eating all that remains. Sometimes I put some on my breakfast oats, but usually drink the mixture. A new batch is ready each day usually in the morning.