Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old July 6, 2006   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Any taste comments on Cossack Pineapple and similar?

We are using the few Cossack Pineapples yet to ripen on fruit salads, mixed with various melons and berries - they have a rather shockingly different/surprising big flavor, but it works! The plant in the pot is a monster, and dries out quickly on hot days - it is hard to keep enough water on it (it really lets you know when it is dry!).

Anyone else growing these? Opinions?
Old July 7, 2006   #2
Reign
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing them. This is my first season with them so no comments on taste yet. Last season I grew Aunt Molly. I sort of got hooked. My Cossack Pineapples seedlings broke while hardening. Wind snapped. A little gauge, a few strips of tape, and they're now happy and growing fast. A handful of fruits forming on each and lots of blooms. I'm looking forward to them. I have two in pots and one in the garden. The pots seem to dry fast. The one in the garden doesn't complain.

Aunt Molly became a much loved snacker. We were eating them so fast that I didn't have enough to try pies or jam. They made a nice sauce with mangos and hot peppers for dipping coconut shrimp. I also added them to strawberry salsa served with chocolate covered tortilla chips. I'm hoping Cossack will be a versatile addition. Cooking is my other hobby so I tend to relate my garden adventures to what I made with them.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Good idea on having them in fruit salads -- I've mainly been snacking on them while I work in the garden and giving them away to friends by the bagful. I'm growing both Aunt Molly's and Cossack Pineapple this year (two plants each), and I really can't tell much difference between the two.

I think they are both absolutely delicious.

Apparently, extreme heat does not affect fruit set in the slightest -- looks like I'll be able to grow these all summer long w/o interruption.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #4
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

I was so excited about ground cherries when I heard about them for the first time last summer. So, I tracked down seeds for Goldie, Cossack Pineapple, and Aunt Molly.

We haven't noticed any taste difference between the varieties.

BUT, we aren't sure we like them at all. DH and my 7yo daughter spit them out. My 10yo son has eaten the most, but he's decided he prefers them a la slingshot.

I find that the first sweet bite is nice, but then the aftertaste is a little too "weedy" for me. I haven't tried cooking or baking with them. I ended up pulling up 2 of the 3 plants and just left one in.
Old July 7, 2006   #5
Reign
Tomatovillian™

Christine - you are waiting until they drop to the ground before you eat them, right?

BTW - each one has like 18000 seeds so tell your son to watch where he shoots.
Reign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2006   #6
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

I have the little buggers coming up all around my driveway from the few fruit that dropped and rolled away late last year. If you are growing them in your garden (we have ours in a pot), once you have them, you will always have them!
Old July 7, 2006   #7
tanagerzoo
Tomatovillian™

Yep, I think I'll have 'em forever!

Yes, we are waiting until they drop on the ground on their own. They aren't sour at all. They are sweet and sort of citrusy. If the flavor would stop there, it would be great. I just find an aftertaste that tastes like what I would imagine eating all the weeds I yank out of my garden! :wink:

I still have the one plant left and am hoping that as the summer progresses, perhaps the flavor will too!