Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old October 8, 2006   #1
VGary
Tomatoville Honoree

Default Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy Fall Conference

My day at the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center attending the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy Fall Conference.

My friend and neighbor, Cathy, and I left yesterday at 6:30 am for the two hour and a few mintues to Berea where the Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy Conference was being held. It was such a good meeting with outstanding presentations and seeing old friends and meeting new ones. Ira Wallace from Southern Exposure Seed, Mineral Virginia was there. They specialize in Heirloom Seed of all types. They along with Baker Creek Seeds will be listing my "Granny Cantrell's" German Tomato in their 2007 Seed Catalog this spring. She is a co-ordinator at Southern Exposure. She and Merlyn Nieden's are good friends! She and I made a real connection and I look forward to further contact with her. I was able to pick up a few new tomato varieties which are not available commercially. Several of these are being considered for commercial availablity within the next several years. What amazes me always is the willingness of growers to share seed varieties of many different Heirloom seed/plants.
We arrived back home at 7:30. This made a long day for me as I usually get a nap in for this old 70 year old with heart problems. I feel revived though because such as experience gives me a feeling of elation! We had a late dinner and It wasn't long until I was ready for bed.
The weather has turned chilly here and it is invigorating, but I chill easy due to poor circulation.
It will take a day or two for me to get back into a normal schedule for me.
It is always good to visit the Sustainable Mountain Agriculture to see what is happening in their program. I am posting a Link to their web site. Enjoy!
Gary/Louisville

Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Inc.
Sustainable Mountain Agriculture Center Berea, Kentucky.
http://www.heirlooms.org/
Old January 25, 2007   #2
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

oh heck!
I wanted to go but was really done this weekend. I drive a lot with work.

I should make plans to go next year and meet some local folks!