Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 25, 2018   #61
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Could you guys update where you are getting pots now and maybe a link to the pots that you are using? Novosel is no longer in business I believe and my favorite McConkey pot is not available. I ordered these https://www.mcconkeyco.com/35-square...t/0/jmcsr350-1

Barb
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018   #62
oakley
Tomatovillian™

That looks like a good price. And I see they have an even lightweight option so those
will probably not be the super thin cheapie.

I made a big change a couple years ago getting out of solo cups and so glad I did. I used
GreenhouseMegastore. And Amazon. No more rolling around. All my seed starting is now in
1010, square trays. Easy to move around and turn for better light. I have both tall square
pots and short ones. Potting up, the 1020 size trays fit 18 pots, tall and short ones. Or a
1010 square tray holds 9 pots like the micro sunflowers or micro toms.

The segmented trays need a mesh tray to stiffen but I have a ton of those.

Spent the nice weekend potting up. 4 18 insert trays, 72 toms and not nearly halfway done.
Third season with this set-up and just a few breakage from stepping on them...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pots and potting up.jpg (578.3 KB, 217 views)
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25, 2018   #63
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I really like SQUARE pots and mine look similar to yours Oakley!

I have 3" green square ones (from Greenhouse Megastore) that I start off with and I plant up to 4 seedlings per pot, then I pot up into taller square ones. These were all saved from various perennial acquisitions by me or my friends. (I ask a couple of friends to save square pots for me ). When potting up, I also use waxed cartons (that creamer comes in) so that I can give some plants away and not worry about getting my pots returned .

I still don't have perfect trays for these pots. I bought some opaque ones (with turquoise handles) from Walmart which fit quite nicely on the growlight stand, but there is wasted space and the middle is raised a bit so they are not perfectly flat. When I need to put more pots under the lights, I have to put them individually on the growlight trays which isn't really such a big deal except for unloading.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2018   #64
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

I received my pots from McConkey. They are sitting in the box. They actually measure 3 5/8 by 4 deep. I like a little narrower. I loved the deep tech square pot. These are going to take a lot of soil to fill. I have 16 flats of tomatoes to sell at our plant sale.
I looked at reviews on Green House Mega store on the cut apart sheets and they were not good.
I wish I could actually see before I order.
Barb
Old November 13, 2018   #65
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ContainerTed View Post
I've used this one and had good prices and wonderful service.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/
I second this recommendation. Great service and decent prices.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020   #66
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Looking for a tube style "pot". Actually a plastic bag, about 2-3 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall. The bottom might be open, not sure.

Saw these in a youtube video but cannot locate a source. Tried Greenhouse Mega Store....perhaps I just dont have the right term to search.

Thank you in advance.
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23, 2020   #67
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim, go to Amazon and search "Al's Flower Pouch". Is that what you are looking for?
Barb
Old February 23, 2020   #68
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

I’m thinking exactly along the same line, wondering if I should just sew some tubes with landscaping fabric, double line stitched then cut to length. Or use some sort of cross cross panels (like a wine box) to line directly on the potting soil. Or no pot at all, just grow separated seedlings in the greenhouse, plucking them out at planting time. Otherwise I would need several hundred containers. In the past, I used pots and solo cups, taking too much space and soil.
In the old days, my parents never used pots. People at the farm would dig a deep trench (3 feet), lay some manure under the seeding bed to generate heat, then cover the top with plastic and hay. They open the top on sunny days. Tomatoes, peppers and egg plants are all started this way. The seedlings were only separated when ready to into the field.That was in a very cold climate (near Russia), years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
Looking for a tube style "pot". Actually a plastic bag, about 2-3 inches in diameter and about 10 inches tall. The bottom might be open, not sure.

Saw these in a youtube video but cannot locate a source. Tried Greenhouse Mega Store....perhaps I just dont have the right term to search.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by NewWestGardener; February 23, 2020 at 03:00 PM.
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24, 2020   #69
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
Black Krim, go to Amazon and search "Al's Flower Pouch". Is that what you are looking for?
Barb
great, will look
Old February 24, 2020   #70
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWestGardener View Post
I’m thinking exactly along the same line, wondering if I should just sew some tubes with landscaping fabric, double line stitched then cut to length. Or use some sort of cross cross panels (like a wine box) to line directly on the potting soil. Or no pot at all, just grow separated seedlings in the greenhouse, plucking them out at planting time. Otherwise I would need several hundred containers. In the past, I used pots and solo cups, taking too much space and soil.
In the old days, my parents never used pots. People at the farm would dig a deep trench (3 feet), lay some manure under the seeding bed to generate heat, then cover the top with plastic and hay. They open the top on sunny days. Tomatoes, peppers and egg plants are all started this way. The seedlings were only separated when ready to into the field.That was in a very cold climate (near Russia), years ago.

Thank you for sharing a bit of gardening history !!

I did start thinking about cutting plastic sheeting and stapling the sides closed......

These are to start mulberries from cuttings. Apoarently they like living as a hedge.
Old April 8, 2021   #71
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Just thought I'd let people know that I found 72 cell starter trays at Dollar General here for $5 each. They say NK brand, but the clear "greenhouse" lids for them say Jiffy

I was going to save them for next year, but I might end up having to plant more tomatoes this year, so one might get a trial run here today or tomorrow

**added** They do have the nice feature of having a tray that they cells sit in that bottom waters your plants, I think I like the idea

Last edited by D.J. Wolf; April 8, 2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: addition
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote