Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old March 4, 2009   #31
seymour_man
Tomatovillian™

I am trying eggplant too after a break. I hope anyway. I ordered seeds for Prosperosa and Rosa Bianca and should be here soon. By the weekend anyway.
I dont know if it is too late but even though I throw tomatoes out the middle of May a week or so later for eggplant might be better.
seymour_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2009   #32
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

W,

If you'd like some eggplant seeds, PM me with your address and I'll mail some on Friday. I'm pretty sure I have some Rosa Bianca, Diamond & Black Beauty I can send you.

Jeff
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2009   #33
AK110682
Tomatovillian™

Default Eggplant seeds...

I didn't have any problems with my Black Beauty, Listada de Gandia, or Long Purple eggplant seeds.... but the Rosa Bianca and Louisianna long green seeds have been giving me trouble.

Since the first batch of Rosa Biana never sprouted, I went ahead and made a second attempt. And Finalllly I have one seedling poking it's head up. I used up all of my Louisianna Long Green seeds on the first attempt, so I used thai long green on the second attempt, and guess what.... they are also popping their heads up YAY!

This is my first year growing eggplants... I can't wait to taste them! Only problem is.... I think I started too many seeds LOL

Good luck with all your eggplants everyone!

-Amber
AK110682 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #34
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Well... well... WHAT HAPPENED???? These threads just allofasudden end with no updates, no harvest! Like Fish stories!

I have NEVER eaten eggplant. I'm not really big on veggies, except maters, taters, peppers & salads, plus some other lesser veggies like celery, radishes, etc.

But last year, probably because of Fedco's great blurbs, I ordered seeds for Diamond and Rosa Bianca. They were a little slow/low on germination but I still planted out 3 plants total, next to the peppers on the driveway, in 4-gallon buckets.

All I remember were that I had a few on each plant but got busy with other things and when a friend's sister-in-law came over to buy some onions during the summer, she saw the eggplants and said she LOVED eggplant and the next thing you know, it's now 48 years and I STILL have never eaten eggplant!

Now, still not planted out yet, I have a few more of each almost ready to transplant again. Maybe this will be the year?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #35
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

you don't know what you have missed if you don't try them. We love them in the summer, they are a good side dish with peas or beans.

Neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2010   #36
geeboss
Tomatovillian™

Well I've taken the plunge and have 3 eggplants growing. Just one type... purple long.
Will have to see how it grows this summer.

George
geeboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2010   #37
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

I didn't have great results last year, so never updated the thread. Most of my eggplant were planted in the worst spot in the garden (shady area), and the soil should have been improved. The few eggplant that grew were taken by squirrels or possum, with the exception of two I took off very small. I tasted one of them and it had a mild pleasant taste, kind of moist rather than dry.

I have two or three plants this year, so hoping the improved soil helps the plants grow taller and more eggplant grow. Rossa Bianca & Diamond are the only two I have this year.

Haven't noticed the squirrels as much as I did last year so maybe they moved before winter set in.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote