Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

CHOPTAG™ event information and discussion forum. Cincinnati Heirloom Open Pollinated Tomato Associate Growers

Old August 17, 2006   #1
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Default CHOPTAGers. Ready your palate for elated bliss!

This has been one of my best years ever for taste and production. I've got a bunch of top tens this year. I hope everyone can make the fest!!!
Old August 17, 2006   #2
bigcheef
Tomatovillian™

I can't wait Earl!

I think all my friends are ready to send me to the funny farm.

I’ve been talking about this “big event” I have planned for August 19th. When my friends have asked what I’m doing this weekend, I’ve said “going to a tomato festival”. They look at me like I just slapped them in the face and say, “umm…..O..K..?” Then they all huddle up and talk about how I’ve finally lost it: “Thirty some odd plants in the back yard is one thing, but a tomato festival?”

I say it’s their loss and besides, I’m big enough to take at least two of them at once, so they keep their negative comments to a minimum 8)

RIK
Cause I could be pushin up a home grown tomater

Lyrics by Guy Clark
Old August 17, 2006   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

RIK, I limit my good friends to CHOPTAGers, really. We're of a like mind. I see them 3-5 times a year. We part with the antisipation of seeing each other soon. We never get to smelling like fish. :-) They're all intelligent and can carry on a conversation if the subject deviates from tomatoes. I could go on and on about the virtures of CHOPTAGers.

You take Brian for example. He lives pretty close to me, but I haven't in the wee hours of the night gone over and raided his tomato patch. See, that's virture at its most pristine illustration.
Old August 17, 2006   #4
JerryL
Tomatovillian™

RIK

I know EXACTLY what you mean about the funny looks and stunned silence. :wink: When I told people I was going to Tomatopalooza IV (about a 550 mile drive one way) some of them didn’t talk to me for days. Thought maybe I was certifiable.

It is kind of interesting that when I told them “OK! If you’re not interested in my tomato foolishness I won’t bring you any this year”. Boy everyone is suddenly my best friend.

But hey! I don’t mind living in my own little world during the tomato season, coming out only for Taste Festivals.
Old August 17, 2006   #5
Grub
Tomatovillian™

Default Earl's Tasties

One of the best year's ever is music to our ears Earl.

Glad to hear that. I can't wait to read about Choptag ,see the pics and imagine the food.

Will be checking back here now.

Have a great weekend.
Old August 17, 2006   #6
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Yes, you guys have a great event!

So, sorry I can't be there again this year. I will be at a
2 year old birthday though..... grilling dogs and burgers.
I'm thinking I'll only cut up Green Giants for the tomatoes.
I got the seeds from a piece of the one that won CHOPTAGs 2005 best tasting award! So... we'll be there
in spirit.

See ya round the mater patch!

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Old August 18, 2006   #7
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default can't go

Well i really wish i could have been there had my big mater all ready almost 2 lbs Brandywine.
But my anxiaty is not going to let me.
Last yr i was in a car accident , the car was totalled and my kids where ok with minor cuts and bruises, I had a pretty big lumb on my head, ever since them i am paralyzed with fear with driving long distatnce. I can go about 20 miles and then the anxiaty hits me. I tell my DH " look at all the fuel i save "
I don't have the driving mojo anymore ,i used to have. I thought i could do it ,but i broke out in hives and am stuck in emotional mess of fear. I took a allery pill and it wipes me out so i wil be on a Bendadryl coma for about 3 days until the hives where off.
I hope all goes well with the event i will miss everyone and all the mato's that lure my taste buds to heaven.
thanks
sue
I really thought i could do it.
Old August 18, 2006   #8
Earl
Tomatovillian™

sue,
sorry you can't make it to the event. Hopefully next year you'll be able to make it. Or this year if you can get your DH to drive? I promise, none of us will bite him. :-)
Old August 18, 2006   #9
matermama
Tomatovillian™

Default thanks

DH is in Utah working, so i am the pack leader in the family . :wink:
Not much of a leader though, can't even drive 20 miles without breaking into hives
thanks
sue
Old August 19, 2006   #10
valereee
Tomatovillian™

Sue, is there another CHOPTAGger in your area? I think there's someone in Troy who's coming -- maybe you could hitch a ride?

Val