Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 11, 2017   #31
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by swellcat View Post
There is quite a profound lack of consensus on tomato-disease diagnosis, isn't there, even among the highly experienced.
Ha ha. True for most professions.

Don't like the diagnosis? Get a different doctor. LOL
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #32
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
There is quite a profound lack of consensus on tomato-disease diagnosis, isn't there, even among the highly experienced.
As Bill notes, photo's aren't ideal. A LOT of foliar diseases resemble one another if you're just looking at lesions. Usually, IRL, it becomes evident from looking at the whole plant, knowing how the disease presented and progressed, etc.

Also, different diseases may present in different ways in different climates and conditions. You should see how confusing late blight can look when conditions get dry and hot immediately after plants are infected.

And given that we're from all over the place, and that even in the same climate, foliar diseases can look really similar...
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #33
VC Scott
Tomatovillian™

Experience has taught me that it is a mistake to assume a plant is being affected by only one thing. Don't rule out the possibility that the problem is two or maybe three different things.

Right now I am dealing with a combo of EB and tomato russet mites.
VC Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11, 2017   #34
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC Scott View Post
Experience has taught me that it is a mistake to assume a plant is being affected by only one thing. Don't rule out the possibility that the problem is two or maybe three different things.

Right now I am dealing with a combo of EB and tomato russet mites.
I agree. I'm dealing with Fusarium and RKN.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #35
beetkvass
Tomatovillian™

Thank you all so much for the advice and input. I really appreciate it. We had a small family disaster Saturday, Sunday was chaotic and busy, and I've just not been able to get back to the tomato plants. I'm going to cut into the main stem of a plant today and see if I can get a better idea of what's going on. I had wondered about that...did I need to sacrifice a plant by cutting into the main stem to diagnose.
beetkvass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12, 2017   #36
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
This was my takeaway as well.

I know very little, but I have always called what is depicted most obviously in the OP's original pics Early Blight. See it every year after long Spring rains, always starts low. I aggressively prune affected leaves and any growth restricting air flow and this controls it probably
90% of the time in otherwise healthy plants.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2017   #37
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Any updates?
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote