Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 30, 2015   #31
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Do you think the crack in that big tomato will be okay?

You might want to drip some wax in it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #32
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Homemade Cream Puff's w/ Custard Filling.. I have wonderful memories of my mother making these cream puffs for us kid's when we were growing up. It was one of my favorite desserts. I passed down the tradition, and made them as a special treat for my children as they were growing up. I still make them from time to time, and use the same recipe my mother used. My mother would drizzle a homemade chocolate syrup on top of the cream puff. So delish! I start by making the pastry shell..Let cool..Cook a homemade custard filling. Let cool. Cut the top off the pastry shell and hollow out the inside dough. Dip both the shell and top in powdered sugar..Fill with the custard, add some homemade whipped cream, replace the top. Drizzle w/chocolate if desired.. Enjoy!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10409241_10155785067510013_4385593697083425668_n.jpg (72.4 KB, 205 views)
barefootgardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2015   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sssssssssssss!!!!

Worth
Old July 30, 2015   #34
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old July 30, 2015   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'll take mine with whipped cream please.

Worth
Old July 30, 2015   #36
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Old July 30, 2015   #37
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Do you think the crack in that big tomato will be okay?

You might want to drip some wax in it.

Worth
Worth, I accidently dug my fingernail in it when I was taking it off the vine. What should I do to protect it while it is ripening? Wax.. That will work??

Last edited by barefootgardener; July 30, 2015 at 02:21 PM.
Old July 30, 2015   #38
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Oh man - talk about bringing up memories. Back in the late '70's/early'80's, I was smitten with the newly-emerging Martha Stewart. (Keep in mind that this was WAY before she became a diva - her "Entertaining" book had just come out & she still had her home-based catering business).

So for our family Christmas, I decided (even though I am decidedly NOT a baker) to make her Christmas "Crocembouche" for Christmas Day. Seventy-five or so miniature cream puffs filled with chocolate-rum cream & stuck together in a pyramid with homemade caramel & covered with spun sugar. I thought I was going to kill myself, or that some family member present while I was making this would do the deed for me - lol!

Was it beautiful? Yes. Was it easy to deconstruct & eat? No. Would I make it again (although I did make another one shortly thereafter to take to a party)? Not likely.
Old July 30, 2015   #39
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardeningCook View Post
Oh man - talk about bringing up memories. Back in the late '70's/early'80's, I was smitten with the newly-emerging Martha Stewart. (Keep in mind that this was WAY before she became a diva - her "Entertaining" book had just come out & she still had her home-based catering business).

So for our family Christmas, I decided (even though I am decidedly NOT a baker) to make her Christmas "Crocembouche" for Christmas Day. Seventy-five or so miniature cream puffs filled with chocolate-rum cream & stuck together in a pyramid with homemade caramel & covered with spun sugar. I thought I was going to kill myself, or that some family member present while I was making this would do the deed for me - lol!

Was it beautiful? Yes. Was it easy to deconstruct & eat? No. Would I make it again (although I did make another one shortly thereafter to take to a party)? Not likely.
LOL.. I think I remember that Croquembouche from her book? It was beautiful but, sometimes simple is best, just as delicious and beautiful in a simple way, but will save you from going gray early!!

Ginny
Old July 30, 2015   #40
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Worth, I accidently dug my fingernail in it when I was taking it off the vine. What should I do to protect it while it is ripening? Wax.. That will work??
It might

Worth
Old July 30, 2015   #41
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Heirloom Tomatoes From L to R : Tree Bottom Yellow 12.2 oz, Rebel Yell 10 oz., Old German 8.04 oz, and Couilles De Taureau 12 oz.

Old July 30, 2015   #42
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Sliced up and looking pretty on a platter: Left to Right: Rebel Yell, Tree Bottom Yellow, Couilles De Taureau. I will let you know how they taste later! It sure is nice getting tomatoes large enough for sandwiches right now instaed of waiting till August. Thank's to the heatwave..

Old August 5, 2015   #43
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Grilled Heirloom Tomato Pizza.. I made a homemade thin pizza crust, and topped with colorful heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, crispy sage (all from my garden), bacon, mozzarella, parmigiano cheese, and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt.. This was my first time grilling pizza and it turned out pretty good! I shared it with my hubby. This is a yummy way to use up the tomatoes that are coming in. We needed a change from daily BLT's..

Ginny
Old August 5, 2015   #44
GardeningCook
Tomatovillian™

Definitely DROOLWORTHY!!!
Old August 5, 2015   #45
barefootgardener
Tomatovillian™

Zucchini Noodles with Homemade Basil Pesto.