Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 15, 2014   #331
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I grow arugala all year long here.Tricks that I have found is if you have patience do seed one at a time at 4-5 inches apart in long plastic planting troughs.I do all mine in these long 5 inch by 3ft long 6 inch deep planters and do not go inground cause of the bugs here.I get two rows per planter.They will jump up and then "settle"again about a inch away from where they come out of the ground from.When you see them in the big box they are bunched up and will eventually kill each other off to form 1 plant anyway.Wife cuts the outside young leaves as she needs them(slow bolting down).Grow in two week increment sand you will have arugalas in varying leaf sizes.I always let one or two trays grow larger and give them a haircut(butch style when larger salads are needed)One tray I let go for seeds.If you like pepper grow the roquette arugalas for some intense peppery flavor.We do the same with other "stand up"(non head )greens for constant fresh picked salads when we want/need them.Arugala will last for us up to two-3months per tray.
Dagnabit, that's just the idea I needed. NOW I know how to grow arugula. Thanks, Kurt.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #332
ChristinaJo
Tomatovillian™

Definitely marking this!
ChristinaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2014   #333
KathyDC
Tomatovillian™

Is the first video - of sowing, the first steps - available anywhere else now? I click on the first link and it just goes to a list of videos at Craig's youtube channel. Thanks!
KathyDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2014   #334
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

HI Kathy, you probably found it but when you click on the first link and go to youtube, if you click on the Pepper Update Part one, another list on the side comes up called transplanting video, and that is the one that shows how to transplant from dense sowing. I don't know if that's the one you are looking for.
Happy Gardening!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #335
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks Craig..

I used Craig's method this year and it worked perfectly. I have so many tomatoes I can give everyone I know a few and have plenty left to plant.

Anyone short on space to start seeds, this works, try it.

BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5, 2014   #336
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Craig, short of going through 21 pages of this thread, I'll just ask. What is your seed starting/growing medium? I couldn't see the label clearly on the videos I viewed.

Thanks, Dan
Old May 13, 2014   #337
MarilynSloper
Tomatovillian™

I just finished watching your transplant videos and loved them!. Completely blown away at how easy it looks! At first I was surprised to see that you left no dirt on your plants' roots, because I always thought that if the roots were disturbed the little plants would go into shock and either grow stunted or else would die. But nope, yours sure don't. NEXT YEAR I am going to plant thickly and do what you do! Wow! Sure wish I had seen these videos before I planted my seeds this year. Thank you so much for sharing how you do it!!!
MarilynSloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2015   #338
gregory
Tomatovillian™

very informative and I liked the technique of using your thumb to push the seedling
down. Since it was my first time to grow tomatoes from seeds it made a pleasure
repotting the plants. Thanks
Old March 10, 2015   #339
danwigz
Tomatovillian™

Watching this video is always my psych-up to getting my seeds started!
danwigz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29, 2015   #340
Myronr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDC View Post
Is the first video - of sowing, the first steps - available anywhere else now?
It can be found here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoYgX3y5ptQ
Myronr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2016   #341
aimeehoward
Tomatovillian™

thank you for sharing all these videos. as I am moving to a house next summer I would like to start a small garden. however with zero experience it is going to be a challenge, but I am so excited anyway.
If s.o. could help me with online tutorial about composting that would be great, as well. once again thank you for sharing all the helpful links.
aimeehoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2017   #342
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Just seen this and am looking at some of your videos,amazing garden.You have a great touch or should I say green thumb!Thank you for such a great learning device in your videos.Looking forward to watching them all and future ones!
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2017   #343
Spike2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Just seen this and am looking at some of your videos,amazing garden.You have a great touch or should I say green thumb!Thank you for such a great learning device in your videos.Looking forward to watching them all and future ones!
You beat me to this! I was coming to bump this thread up because it sure did help me!
Spike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #344
Banadoura
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for bumping this thread Spike, I would have done a few things differently had I watched the videos a few weeks back
Banadoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2017   #345
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

All of the videos can be found on my website in one place - http://www.craiglehoullier.com/resources/

one of these days I want to redo them to make them more clear/less "hand held"/rough. But I am so glad that they help some of you!

I love the YouTube comments like "I have no idea why he does that" (of course, I explain why", or "you can't do that. It doesn't work" (of course, it does - and I've been doing it for over 20 years!).

I decided to stop reading any of the comments - I think I've blocked comments on some of them.