Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 23, 2009   #31
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald51 View Post
I would have felt better if my check had cleared the bank. I'm in the dark zone not knowing anything about my order. Heck, for all I know, my order got lost in the mail along with the check.

I guess that I just feel more comfortable with Pay Pal with instant order confirmation and a email from the shipper that my order has been received. Then another one that it has been shipped.

I need to start my seed by the end of the month. If something has gone wrong with my order I'm screwed!!

Gerald
I do think that Glenn has made it quite clear in the catalog and at the website that they aren't a "fast Food" place, to use his words.

And I don't think they deposit checks until the order is shipped.

And as Duane said, it's worth the wait. Yes, sometimes they run behind as to filling orders, that's true, but that doesn't bother me or many others.

I could e-mail Linda, who is a good friend and wife of Glenn, and ask her how far behind they're running right now but I'm not going to do that b'c I know how busy she is this time of year.

And one of the reasons they're so busy is that each year more and more folks discovoer what a treasure Sandhill really is and thus more orders.

And I do know that they have extra folks who are helping out with filling orders.

I hope that helps, from one who runs the other way when it comes to shopping basket places and e-mails confirming this or that and shipping confirmations and for sure Paypal.
But that's just me and I know I have company in that regard.

Next year why not consider getting your order in in late Fall so it will processed earlier when they start filling seed orders in early January although I think there's a good chance you'll get your seeds in time for sowing this year.

Just as I noted with my seed offer here, now closed, when request envelopes come in I file them by the date sent to compensate for geographic distances and I don't pay attention to whether or not someone is from Alaska or
deep in the heart of TX" to be fair to all who participate.
Old January 23, 2009   #32
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

To give you an idea of the length of time it might take, I mailed my check to Sand Hill 12/29/08, and it cleared 1/21/09.

I suspect that I'll receive my seeds in the next few days. They're worth the wait.

- Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald51 View Post
I hope that Sand Hill is as good as people say, because I mailed my order in with a check on 1/7 and I have not received anything yet. I check with the bank today to see if my check had cleared and found that it has not cleared.

Does orders from them usual take that long?

I'm just about out of time in getting my seedlings started for the spring planting.

Gerald
johnsonjrbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #33
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

I don't consider 3 weeks plus "fast food". As long as I get them by the end of the month I will be OK. I feel much better about finding out that they do not deposit checks until the orders are placed. I was beginning to think that my seed order and check were lost in the mail.

Sometimes peace of mind is better than saving a couple of bucks. Them being shut down for months before January 1 makes it a little tight on those who need their seed by the 1st part of Feb. There's no room for error.

I'm really excited about trying out the seed that I ordered from Sand Hill. Box Car Willie, Creole, Sioux, MP, Stump of the World and Mortgage Lifter.

I got the fever!!!

Gerald
Gerald51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #34
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

I just got a return e-mail from Sand Hill.

That was fast!! I just sent them one a few hours ago.

I should expect my order in the next week or so.

Happy Happy Happy

Gerald
Old January 23, 2009   #35
DuckCreekFarms
Tomatovillian™

I sent them a check in November to get in front of the line. Recieved my "first" order yesterday. Still waiting on the second order which I sent about a day after they updated the website
DuckCreekFarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2009   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes peace of mind is better than saving a couple of bucks. Them being shut down for months before January 1 makes it a little tight on those who need their seed by the 1st part of Feb. There's no room for error.

I do understand.

In addition to my suggestion above about getting your order in in the late Fall, in which case your check might not clear for several months, there is another option.

And that's ordering a year in advance from any seed source. Quite a few folks who have to sow seed around Xmas into January do that and it's always been that way with my listings in the SSE YEarbooks primarily for those in zones 8b, 9 and 10. Of course you won't get the newest and latest listings of tomatoes at any seed source, but heck, there are hundreds, yea thousands of varieties that are great and beg to be grown.

So I see you went ahead and e-mailed Linda anyway.
Old January 23, 2009   #37
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
So I see you went ahead and e-mailed Linda anyway.
Oh, I sent the e-mail before you spoke.

Now that I know how things work and what to expect, I think that Sand Hill will become my main source for purchased seed in the future.

Gerald

Last edited by Gerald51; January 23, 2009 at 10:00 PM. Reason: typo
Old January 25, 2009   #38
johnsonjrbm
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonjrbm View Post
To give you an idea of the length of time it might take, I mailed my check to Sand Hill 12/29/08, and it cleared 1/21/09.

I suspect that I'll receive my seeds in the next few days. They're worth the wait.

- Bobby
Gerald -

Just a heads-up that my seeds arrived Saturday 1/24. I live in Western Washington, so that may give you a better idea regarding the delivery of your shipment.

As usual, there were a couple of bonus packs of seeds...

Happy gardening !
johnsonjrbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2009   #39
Gerald51
Tomatovillian™

Hey folks, I got my seed today! They came in plenty of time for me to get them started for the Spring planting.

Sometimes, I worry a little too much.

Happy Happy Happy!!!

Gerald
Old February 3, 2009   #40
macmex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post

Who called me on a Sunday after we had that terrible ice storm here to see if I was OK knowing that I had my walker to contend with in any emergency? Glenn.

There's someone who no longer posts here but posts at other places where I post and criticizes me for always mentioning Sandhill as a source of this or that variety that someone is looking for.

So what? I'm glad to mention them any time it's appropriate and I mention other companies as well when someone is looking for a specific variety.
Right on Carolyn! The Drowns have been very good to us over the years, as they have to many. One time they shipped us some turkeys and we lost a bunch because they were delayed in the mail. They simply shipped us more, and this, when they were hardly making ends meet with the cost of shipping. They didn't even ask for help with the postange, and it was not their fault at all.

Sandhill Preservation Center is a special company!

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote