Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 9, 2019   #1
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Default End of the Season 2019

We already had our first snow here in Finland some days ago. Thankfully, everything was gathered in before that :-)

It happens every year: the season is cut short, and so many lovely tomatoes have to be harvested green and kept in a cardboard box for ripening.

The winners of this year definitely are...

Boloto (delicious and did not lose the flavor when indoor ripened)
Summer Cider
True Colours

Cherries category:

Dr. Carolyn - just wow.
(I love white cherries, period.)

The only one totally tasteless was Anmore Dewdrop. Lovely plant, very lush, green, prolific. Just no flavor.. even supermarket tomatoes taste better.
(it was grown with exactly the same soil, amendments, fertilizers etc as other varieties..)

That was it..
Among many Russian commercial varieties about four of them were totally wrong... different color and shape than in the picture. Not sure if Russian companies love to give shock treatments
.. but I am more convinced than ever that the best way to get what I want is to get it directly from someone's garden, not from a company in a packet..

Last edited by NarnianGarden; October 9, 2019 at 04:55 PM.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2019   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
Dr. Carolyn - just wow.
(I love white cherries, period.)

Dr. Carolyn is my mother's favorite, too. She likes it better than Sungold.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9, 2019   #3
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

i'll be picking whatever i can over the next two days.
we had some patchy frost a couple days ago, that didn't kill anything. then we
had two days of warmish very pleasant weather. toward the weekend however, the
weather goes down the crapper. rain/snow showers predicted. temps in the low 30s.
typical october weather. if you can get through the first two weeks frost free, and still
pick tomatoes, you're doing good.

keith
Old October 9, 2019   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Narnian Garden, is there another white cherry that you have enjoyed?
Dr Carolyn tasted very good to me too. It was a thick giant vine and grew out of the cage and covered everything else nearby. If it had not been such a long VERY HOT season until the end (tonight) I wonder if I would have had any that ripened.
The heat allowed extra growth. It was my first year for things I have ever been able to grow in quantity - watermelons, muskmelons, eggplants galore.
The only drawback was grapes which turned to raisins instead of plumping up.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for reminding Cherry Tomato Dr. Carolyn. I will grow it next year as a reminder and honor of my friend Carolyn Male.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019   #6
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
Narnian Garden, is there another white cherry that you have enjoyed?
Dr Carolyn tasted very good to me too. It was a thick giant vine and grew out of the cage and covered everything else nearby. If it had not been such a long VERY HOT season until the end (tonight) I wonder if I would have had any that ripened.
The heat allowed extra growth. It was my first year for things I have ever been able to grow in quantity - watermelons, muskmelons, eggplants galore.
The only drawback was grapes which turned to raisins instead of plumping up.
Yes there are a few. Snow white was just as good.. sweet and crunchy, how I like my cherries.
Cannot remember the other I grew a couple of years ago, it was delicious too. In general I think one cannot go wrong with pale cherry varieties.
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2019   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

Caught my first sight of frost this morning. I guess these calm sunny days also come with a price.
The sunny days also make it very clear that those green tomatoes hanging on the vine in my greenhouse are not getting any sun. By this time of year, they are completely shaded by the tall trees and low sun angle. Seeing a man today about cutting those.. what a change that will be. I've enjoyed those trees for years but now they are a menace.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote