Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old February 17, 2011   #16
happydog
Tomatovillian™

I ordered from Adaptive Seeds because they had a couple of things Carol Deppe recommended in The Resilient Gardener that I couldn't find anywhere. Of course I had to get some tomatoes too...

My seeds came fast and I was pleased to be able to find the things I wanted. Seems like a lot of things are selling out faster than usual this year.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #17
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

They also have some of Tim Peters's introductions. I'm eager to try 'Standby' cilantro this year. It's said to be among the slowest-to-bolt and I have a consistently terrible time with that issue.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #18
happydog
Tomatovillian™

I looked up Standby and it was bred to be fall sowed, and cold hardy. How would that work with cilantro, being that it's a warm weather crop? I would think it would be better to have it be more heat tolerant. ?

I also have a hard time with cilantro.
Old February 17, 2011   #19
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

That's interesting - I remember a slightly different description of it. Something to the effect of: "...so slow to bolt that I have a tough time saving seed.."

I guess I've never thought of Cilantro as a warm weather crop - at least not a hot weather crop. I totally missed the bit about fall sowing, too. I'll have to see how it does for me in the Spring - I'll report back.
Old February 17, 2011   #20
happydog
Tomatovillian™

You know, I think I'm wrong. I'm remembering growing it in the tropics where the seasons are backward.

I'm going to give Standby a try too. Thanks for bringing it up.
Old February 17, 2011   #21
Ispahan
Tomatovillian™

Happydog,

I received a printed 2011 catalogue from Adaptive Seeds and they include 'Withner's White Cornfield Bean' among their listings, also mentioned in Carol Deppe's wonderful book (which I have read straight through three times now). However, it is not listed in their online catalogue. Maybe they still need to add things for this season? Maybe you can e-mail them if interested. I just sent in an order for the cornfield beans on a hand written order form from the back of their catalogue. I hadn't used one of those in years...

I also ordered 'Russian Hunger Gap' kale and 'Oregon Homestead Sweetmeat' squash because they were featured in Deppe's book.

As for cilantro, I have always thought of it as a kind of "perfect" weather crop. Meaning it doesn't do well if it is either too cold or too hot. It seems to do best with constant, mild spring-like temperatures or it gets cranky (like many people).
Ispahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2011   #22
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Ispahan - where are you in Chicago? I lived in Lincoln Park for many years - worked downtown for even longer.
Old February 17, 2011   #23
Ispahan
Tomatovillian™

Fortyonenorth,

I live in the Buena Park area, between Lakeview and Uptown. Before that I spent many years living in Bucktown and Hyde Park. I am a transplant originally from Michigan, but that was so many years ago I now lost count :-)
Old February 17, 2011   #24
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

It's a great city - enjoyed our time there very much. We moved out here to the Indiana Dunes about five years ago now. Miss the hustle and bustle, but the peace and solitude is nice, too.
Old February 18, 2011   #25
RinTinTin
Tomatovillian™

Cilantro is a cool weather crop. Most of the Mexican crop is grown at higher altitudes in mountainous regions.
RinTinTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #26
RayR
Tomatovillian™

When Cilantro bolts and goes to seed you'll always have plenty of seed for the next seeding, it makes a lot of seed. And if the need arises for Coriander seasoning, you'll have plenty of that too.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2011   #27
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the bean info Ispahan. I'll email them.

The only issue I have with the book is that it's so hard/impossible to find the specific varieties she raves about. Especially the corn that she goes on and on about. It's only available from her and she hasn't released it yet. Very frustrating. (so I was thrilled to order the potatoes from Tom's new site.)
Old February 19, 2011   #28
Ispahan
Tomatovillian™

Happydog,

Forgot to mention that Adaptive also has seeds for 'Mandan Lavender' parching corn as well as a corn mix that is not the same but similar to those that Carol Deppe talks about in which the various colored ears can be separated for different uses.

Maybe I am just weird but I like the fact that the varieties Deppe mentions are not readily available yet. It has been quite an enjoyable challenge for me to research and find many of these varieties. And I plan to keep an eye peeled in the future for any other varieties that pop up...
Old March 3, 2011   #29
salix
Tomatovillian™

Would like to add my comments regarding Adaptive Seeds. My order arrived in a timely fashion (even if it did have to endure the Canadian Postal system) and I am delighted with the packaging. As Rich previously noted, the labels include a good description and history, as well as good sowing/growing information AND instructions on seed saving. I also got their "Guide to Seed Saving, Seed Stewardship & Seed Sovereignty" booklet by the Seed Ambassadors Project - they sound like my kind of people (and, I suspect, like most of the people here at Tomatoville). In addition to several tomatoes, also received seeds for corn, kale, lettuce, red brussels sprouts, squash and a new-to-me cucumber named "Mideast Peace" - well, we can hope, can't we? I look forward to growing these and will report back.
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2011   #30
Mischka
Tomatoville® Administrator

Ordered some seeds from them a week ago. (poppies, tomato sp.Columbianum and red brussels sprouts, var. "Red Bull") - will report more when they arrive.

One last word of farewell, Dear Master and Mistress.

Whenever you visit my grave,

say to yourselves with regret

but also with happiness in your hearts

at the remembrance of my long happy life with you:

"Here lies one who loved us and whom we loved."

No matter how deep my sleep I shall hear you,

and not all the power of death

can keep my spirit

from wagging a grateful tail.
Mischka is offline   Reply With Quote