Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old November 5, 2012   #46
frdlturner
Tomatovillian™

Mike seeds arrived today thanks Danny
frdlturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #47
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

My order arrived LIGHTENING FAST and I have to say THANKS SO MUCH, but with such fantastic service, I personally get spoiled and expect it annually!!

Can't wait to grow these -

THANKS again -

Deb
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #48
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Great!. Thanks for the message.
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5, 2012   #49
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhanasmom View Post
My order arrived LIGHTENING FAST and I have to say THANKS SO MUCH, but with such fantastic service, I personally get spoiled and expect it annually!!

Can't wait to grow these -

THANKS again -

Deb
Thank you, Deb! I'm pleased that your are happy with the service.

-Mike
Old November 5, 2012   #50
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Mike,
I tried to order some seeds, but could not because your site would not allow me to enter my province, though it asks for province/state; it does not have any provinces listed. Do you ship to Canada?

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6, 2012   #51
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by velikipop View Post
Mike,
I tried to order some seeds, but could not because your site would not allow me to enter my province, though it asks for province/state; it does not have any provinces listed. Do you ship to Canada?

Alex
Hi Alex,

Yes, I am aware of the problem but have been unable to get my hosting service to correct it. You can email me the order and I'll send you a paypal invoice. Shipping to Canada is $3.

Thanks for the message!
-Mike
Old November 6, 2012   #52
clara
Tomatovillian™

Congrats to your new additions, Mike! clara
clara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2012   #53
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clara View Post
Congrats to your new additions, Mike! clara
Thank you, Clara!

Unfortunately my 2013 catalog message is way down the list of threads. I hope people see it rather than this one (2012).
Old November 7, 2012   #54
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Mike,
I have a question about the Rutgers strain you offer. In your cataloge you list a determinant strain and yet at the cart you list it as indeterminant. Which strain do you carry?

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2012   #55
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
Mike,
I have a question about the Rutgers strain you offer. In your cataloge you list a determinant strain and yet at the cart you list it as indeterminant. Which strain do you carry?
I know Mike will answer but the only place that I know that used to carry the original 1928 release of Rutger's that was indeterminate was Fedco and I don't know if they still do.

When Rutger's was rereleased in 1943, i think it was, then det, and in the 40's and 50's what we grew on the farm was the det one b'c that's the seeds that Harris Seeds carried and my father bought all of his seed from Harris. And well I remember that b'c the Harris "man" came right to the house to discuss what was new, etc., and took the order from my father directly.

Just checking my memory on the above:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rutgers

Carolyn
Old November 7, 2012   #56
Granite26
Tomatovillian™

Order in....thanks!
Granite26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7, 2012   #57
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Mike,
Hi Scott,

You bring up a good question. After reading Carolyn's response I was inspired to do a little research. It seems that there are several strains out there. The following thread is interesting:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/l...180724808.html

I would say that the one I grow is semi-determinate. I'm not sure where I got the original seeds years ago, but I would guess it was Burpee. They list it as Indeterminate. I do get flowering on some of them into the fall season, and many plants don't have a determinate-type vine

Thank you for letting me know about the errors. I'll take all the help I can get!

-Mike
Old November 7, 2012   #58
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I know Mike will answer but the only place that I know that used to carry the original 1928 release of Rutger's that was indeterminate was Fedco and I don't know if they still do.

When Rutger's was rereleased in 1943, i think it was, then det, and in the 40's and 50's what we grew on the farm was the det one b'c that's the seeds that Harris Seeds carried and my father bought all of his seed from Harris. And well I remember that b'c the Harris "man" came right to the house to discuss what was new, etc., and took the order from my father directly.

Just checking my memory on the above:

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Rutgers

Carolyn
According to Rutgers University,
Quote:
"However, when Rutgers was released by the New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station, Professor L. Schermerhorn invited and encouraged seedsmen to continue selecting for true types in their seed fields. Thus, the original Rutgers tomato line is long lost, and all the seeds sold today are derivative selections, possibly even different cultivars, from the original."
Burpee carries indeterminate, maybe a derivative, but likely close to the original heirloom.

Fedco still claims to have the original indeterminate, likely also a derivative.

Cambells Soup corporation was sending out for free old Rutgers seeds with a low germination rate that were in storage as a part of a charity community project a couple years ago, (Future Farmers of America) but I can't find anything now. Likely the program was terminated or isn't sending free seeds anymore. It was called "Grow your own Soup" if I remember correctly.

Earl May carries a strain called Rutgers 765 determinate
Harris carries a strain called Rutgers 39 indeterminate

There are also several semi-determinate strains.

The difficulty is that most people have not specifically named their strains like Earl May and Harris did. They seem to mostly just call it Rutgers no matter what the strain.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
Old November 7, 2012   #59
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInOhio View Post

I would say that the one I grow is semi-determinate. I'm not sure where I got the original seeds years ago, but I would guess it was Burpee. They list it as Indeterminate. I do get flowering on some of them into the fall season, and many plants don't have a determinate-type vine

Thank you for letting me know about the errors. I'll take all the help I can get!

-Mike
I am looking for a particular strain developed by Purdue University for commercial growers in Indiana (and surrounding midwest states) that grew for canaries. It was a semi determinate and is not the strain offered by Burpee.

I remember a specific characteristic of it besides incredible vigor was a "batch" setting characteristic. Similar to how determinates set all their fruit almost at once, this would too, but then a couple weeks later do it again, and again.

In practical terms it was like this for me picking ..... a few early scattered ripe..then a big batch all ripe at once....5-10 bushels + then for a week or two only 1 bushel or less a day, then all at once 5-10+bushels again. Like this all summer.

Looking at the plants....certainly the vines did terminate in a flower cluster after about 3-5 flower clusters, that shoot would terminate like a determinate......but there were many suckers sometimes much more vigorous than the main shoot that would also set 3-5 clusters of fruit before terminating. Those also had many suckers and so on and so on. So production sometimes even got bigger in "batches" right till frost but on a very bushy determinate plant that produced like an indeterminate.

Been looking for that strain a long time. Any chance it describes your strain?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old November 8, 2012   #60
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am looking for a particular strain developed by Purdue University for commercial growers in Indiana (and surrounding midwest states) that grew for canaries. It was a semi determinate and is not the strain offered by Burpee.

I remember a specific characteristic of it besides incredible vigor was a "batch" setting characteristic. Similar to how determinates set all their fruit almost at once, this would too, but then a couple weeks later do it again, and again.

In practical terms it was like this for me picking ..... a few early scattered ripe..then a big batch all ripe at once....5-10 bushels + then for a week or two only 1 bushel or less a day, then all at once 5-10+bushels again. Like this all summer.

Looking at the plants....certainly the vines did terminate in a flower cluster after about 3-5 flower clusters, that shoot would terminate like a determinate......but there were many suckers sometimes much more vigorous than the main shoot that would also set 3-5 clusters of fruit before terminating. Those also had many suckers and so on and so on. So production sometimes even got bigger in "batches" right till frost but on a very bushy determinate plant that produced like an indeterminate.

Been looking for that strain a long time. Any chance it describes your strain?
Scott,

Sorry for not responding sooner.

No, mine are not like that. I would suggest getting in touch with a few of the big companies and asking around. I would also ask Carolyn directly as she seems to be the best source of this type of information. Maybe start a new thread called "Rutgers Strains". Let me know what you find out, if you will.

Regards,
Mike

Tags
mikeinohio , ohio heirloom seeds , rare tomato seeds