Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 5, 2019   #16
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the link and info. But to be clear, you do get fruit from the determinate clone if it did not have blossoms (or fruit from the clone after the few blossoms have set fruit)?

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 5, 2019 at 07:37 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019   #17
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

the cutting action triggers the make fruit response in the plant.
so you get fruit from all the plants
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5, 2019   #18
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Got it! Thanks.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #19
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It's not easy for me to write, but the cloning was unsuccessful. Why? As Fred wrote correctly. I brought the pest ( whiteflies) to the room where I grow tomato seedlings. Whiteflies settled on the seedlings of the November sowing. I fought them for two months using all available pesticides. I sprayed the plants and whiteflies for a week there have been over. I sprayed the plants and whiteflies in were there in a week again. Seedlings and clones did not grow, the leaves dried from below. At the end of the year I had to throw away everything, seedlings and cloned plants. At the beginning of January I made new sowings of determinante tomatoes, but so far my plants are relatively small. And I have few. There is only a month left to plant in the hotbed. I will shine the seedlings (at least four hours a day) to speed up growth. Heavily paid experience.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2162.jpg (174.0 KB, 105 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #20
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimír,
Every year is different with new problems. Taking in old plants seems to bring a lot of them! Sad to read but new plants will grow quickly. I hope they give you enough fruit this year.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #21
RJGlew
Tomatovillian™

Hi Vladimir,

Perhaps if you fully immerse and soak the fresh cuttings in a strong soap bath - then rinse - before you root them that would kill the resident bugs. btw, you must like Nugget F1 to be attempting to propagate it - what are you thoughts on it?

Last edited by RJGlew; February 29, 2020 at 02:57 PM.
RJGlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #22
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
It's not easy for me to write, but the cloning was unsuccessful. Why? As Fred wrote correctly. I brought the pest ( whiteflies) to the room where I grow tomato seedlings. Whiteflies settled on the seedlings of the November sowing. I fought them for two months using all available pesticides. I sprayed the plants and whiteflies for a week there have been over. I sprayed the plants and whiteflies in were there in a week again. Seedlings and clones did not grow, the leaves dried from below. At the end of the year I had to throw away everything, seedlings and cloned plants. At the beginning of January I made new sowings of determinante tomatoes, but so far my plants are relatively small. And I have few. There is only a month left to plant in the hotbed. I will shine the seedlings (at least four hours a day) to speed up growth. Heavily paid experience.
Vladimír
I'm sorry to hear, Vladimir.
That is why overwintering is not often recommended... sowing and germinating a fresh batch is always better whenever possible.. but now you know.

WIshing you success with this coming season!
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29, 2020   #23
MissS
Tomatovillian™

White flies are extremely hard to get rid of. I have used multiple soap baths without success. The only thing that gets rid of them is a nice hard freeze or lack of plants to live on.

Good luck with your new seedlings. More light will benefit those plants. I hope that they do very well for you.
Old March 1, 2020   #24
bower
Tomatovillian™

So sorry to hear this.
I think it is much easier to make clones when you prune your tomatoes in spring and summer. Maybe you could use only one or two seedlings of those expensive varieties and make extra plants as they're growing bigger already outdoors? And outdoors the pest problems are never the same as indoors - so brutal to lose your seedlings as well. Indoor pests are truly worst.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3, 2020   #25
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Maintaining the variety by cloning through the winter was really just an attempt that ended badly. Of the four hybrid varieties, I do not only have seeds from Tuti Fruti F1. I have already done a similar experiment with Philovita F1 in 2014 and cloned about twenty plants during the winter. Then I threw away most of the plants. There are so many interesting and tasty varieties of cherry that it is hard to choose, so I have no problem with not having the seeds of some of the varieties. The named Nugget F1 was no Top for me, but I had it in the garden, so I took clones from it. I never grow more than one or two plants from any cherry variety.
I'm still tempted to try the cloning next year, but it would be con from some Kumato F2 as I wrote in my first post. Obviously I would take some measures against diseases and pests and I would have plants somewhere else in such a quarantine. I will decide only sometime in August 2020.
Vladimír
Old March 3, 2020   #26
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for writing your thoughts and experiences with this project. I am sorry it didn't work this time, but there's always next time. as you said!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2020   #27
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

On Tuesday I begun germinate the seeds of tomatoes intended for an outdoor flower bed. I gave the varieties that I look forward to the most. They are for me mostly new varieties from Aristan seed ( Agi Red F1, Lucky Agi F1, Creamsicle GrapeMaglia Rosa, Blush, Green Tiger, Green Bee F1, Blush and Madera F1- breeder Fred Hempel) and from Northern Gardener (KARMA Pink, KARMA Purple, Karma Peach and Karma Purple Multi-breeder Karen Olivier). At the weekend I would like to sow the remaining cherry tomatoes and start sowing beefsteak tomatoes. I still have a lot to do, about another sixty varieties.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2169.jpg (96.9 KB, 34 views)
Old March 6, 2020   #28
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

I have imagined this with hybrids : Big beef, Juliet and sungold …

1) alternative is to start seedlings extra early with extra warm spot grow mother plants and indoor get clones from that then plant outside later.

2) alternative 2... buy small plants early and outside have a spot for clipping culture (in shade)for clones to prosper then transfer established clones to sunny location.. this has been successful for many hybrids and OP.