Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old April 18, 2013   #46
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

My seed starting mix is crusting up and making it hard for the sprouts to get through. I think I will switch to a layer of perlite covering the seeds instead of the pro-mix/vermiculite mix I use for seed starter.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #47
biscgolf
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
My seed starting mix is crusting up and making it hard for the sprouts to get through. I think I will switch to a layer of perlite covering the seeds instead of the pro-mix/vermiculite mix I use for seed starter.
sounds like it may have dried out a bit much or your layer is too thick. i am putting down just barely more than a dusting- really only there to keep the seed from washing around before it germinates.
biscgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2013   #48
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Is your mix peat-based? Do you do anything different for larger seeds like cilantro and parsley? They take longer to germinate, so I wonder if they should be planted deeper. I think I'm going to try putting the pro mix in the cup, wetting it so it compresses, then put seeds on top of that, and then add a little perlite on top of the seeds.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote