Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old August 10, 2015   #181
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

40 per truss! amazing! that's a multiflora for sure. am still looking for hearts yes. I am saving seed from all the good ones though. I need a tomato farm
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2015   #182
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

A personal best, one of my F3 Tundras. The biggest tomato I have ever grown. Not huge by competition standards but darn big for up here. 1 pound 14.4 oz of yummy black gorgeousness. (Not even a mega bloom) and lots of 1lb+ siblings
Yay!
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big tundra.jpg (58.9 KB, 263 views)

Last edited by KarenO; August 12, 2015 at 12:13 AM.
Old August 12, 2015   #183
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Whoa! That is so cool Karen! Congratulations! That's definitely larger than anything I've ever grown!
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #184
bower
Tomatovillian™

Whoa!!... it's as vast as the tundra itself!
You'll have to call some friends and neighbours in to eat that one in one sitting. It's a tundra party tom. You could feed Franklin's expedition!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #185
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Karen, you have earned bragging rights. It is beautiful!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #186
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Oo, KarenO! That is a big one.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2015   #187
salix
Tomatovillian™

Just guessing the pride you must feel as you hold that wonderful tomato (and it's siblings) and feel the heft of them. How is the flavour? Can't imagine it would be anything but wonderful.
Old August 12, 2015   #188
Linda10
Tomatovillian™

I've never had one that big, but I'm amazed that it has such a great shape for being so large.
Old August 23, 2015   #189
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Hi Karen. I just want to say I'm still following this thread, and hope someday to grow your wonderful varieties in this northern "land of the midnight sun". (Hmm: "Midnight Sun" - great name for a tomato...)

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #190
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

KarenO, these all are fabulous looking! Great Northern season!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #191
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

https://www.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada?ref=hl

Still coming on strong. plants remain healthy Tons of fruit still green on the vine.
Especially happy with the Midnight sun which seems the most stable so far with only one plant of 20 not showing the right form and colour .(that was the pretty tricolour shown earlier) These big blunt ones are my favourite going forward. Minimal or no cracking and nice small stems/tight blossom scar. many over a pound
KarenO
Old August 23, 2015   #192
bower
Tomatovillian™

They look lovely...
So tell me about your selection process, now supposing you have nineteen individuals with similar traits conforming to the Midnight Sun agenda.

How are you going about choosing which one (or ones) of the nineteen to save seed and grow onward?
I'm assuming you will choose one line to grow forward, but will also save (several?) backup lines in case anything goes south. Or is that just me, pack rat of the 'just in case' seeds.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #193
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Karen,

Are you getting snow? (Not sure where in Alberta you are.) I saw Calgary was getting snow already!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23, 2015   #194
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

No snow or frost here yet. Although Calgary is about 3 hours south of me, the city of Calgary is much closer to the mountains and so are more likely to get weird weather coming over the Rockies than we do here, Chinook winds, big thunderstorms, hail etc. I would say it's harder to be a gardener in Calgary than in the Edmonton area overall.
There was a lot of frost in outlying areas up here too on Friday night but not in the city.
KarenO
Old August 23, 2015   #195
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I have seeds from all the plants except the ones that were the latest to produce. Those are the only clear duds in my project. They are all good tomatoes but I am specifically looking for early. I do have seeds from all the good ones but there is usually a plant that is my favourite overall for early, productive, shape etc. I really like that broad "blunter" heart shape rather than the pointed hearts and I also like the big ones in general. hate cracking so that's a consideration as some plants seem more prone with some plants basically having zero radial cracking on the fruit. I also like a small stem, smoother shoulders , tight blossom scar. Basically it comes down to my favourite overall in each group as I want something new and different that people will be interested in trying. ALL of them taste good so that helps make it easy to select more for habit and shape/size without sacrificing flavour. I am having fun with it and I enjoy getting others to try them and tell me which they prefer too. Seems fairly consistent answer " I like them all but this one is sweeter or this one has more tang... etc. Nobody dislikes any of them so far, that's reassuring to not have a spitter in the group since taste is subjective. The bicolour tastes like orange Russian 117 quite sweet. The blacks taste like any of the well known good blacks as far as I'm concerned. A couple of the black plants have had exceptional flavour IMO and all else being equal, flavour wins the "best of the bunch to carry forward"
I can't wait for you to try them Bower. I think I might send a few folks some F5 seed next fall to have a trial and let me know what they think. I hope you will be one of them as you have been here from the start encouraging me along and I really appreciate it
KarenO
Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
They look lovely...
So tell me about your selection process, now supposing you have nineteen individuals with similar traits conforming to the Midnight Sun agenda.

How are you going about choosing which one (or ones) of the nineteen to save seed and grow onward?
I'm assuming you will choose one line to grow forward, but will also save (several?) backup lines in case anything goes south. Or is that just me, pack rat of the 'just in case' seeds.