Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 29, 2018   #1
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Default metric conversion to Dial N Spray or teaspoons/gal

Hi everybody, I need some help on converting grams per liter to teaspoons per gallon for a Late Blight curative & preventative. I was told to use either 10g/10 liters or 20 liters. I have 2 different sprayers, one is an Ortho Dial N Spray, the other is an 18v powered sprayer that isn't adjustable, just the wand tip can be screwed in/out to adjust the pattern.

The Ortho is usually set to 4oz and the powder is added to 4oz of however many of units... for example, if you spray Daconil, and the rate is 1TBS/gal, you set the sprayer to 4oz and add 4 tablespoons of Daconil and 16 ounces of water to the cup, or 8TBS Daconil to 32oz water.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by korney19; July 29, 2018 at 09:29 PM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2018   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

All you need to do is go on line and use a free metric conversation calculator.
It is simple and easy but several steps.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2018   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Here are important things to memorize.
There is one pound in one pint of water.
96 teaspoons in pint of water.
3 teaspoons in one tablespoon.

Last edited by Worth1; July 30, 2018 at 08:07 AM.
Old July 30, 2018   #4
korney19

My brain is short-circuiting with 2 metrics. At the high rate, it's
10g/2.64gal.
3.7878g/Gal.
0.1336oz/Gal

Would I have to convert from oz to fluid oz to convert to tsp or TBS? If it were fl oz, it would be 0.80 teaspoons.

Say I just poured the 10g into a bucket with 2.6 Gal water. Would I just fill up the Dial N Spray cup? What would I set the sprayer to? 1 tsp? 4oz?
Old July 30, 2018   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
My brain is short-circuiting with 2 metrics. At the high rate, it's
10g/2.64gal.
3.7878g/Gal.
0.1336oz/Gal

Would I have to convert from oz to fluid oz to convert to tsp or TBS? If it were fl oz, it would be 0.80 teaspoons.

Say I just poured the 10g into a bucket with 2.6 Gal water. Would I just fill up the Dial N Spray cup? What would I set the sprayer to? 1 tsp? 4oz?
When it comes to some products the dial and spray is aggravating.
I have no idea.
Worth
Old August 27, 2018   #6
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

You ever get that figured out?
I would have thought some of the smarter people would have chimed in.
worth
Old August 27, 2018   #7
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
You ever get that figured out?
I would have thought some of the smarter people would have chimed in.
worth
Nope, not yet... that's exactly what I thought too, I think there are some real geniuses here. Maybe they will chime in AFTER I get Late Blight---it was reported in the next county 37 miles away.

I got my plants in so late I really need good weather into OCTOBER! I gave up at 58 plants, and never planted another dozen varieties I had transplants for---they got pretty ragged waiting, and it was pretty late---I was planting all thru July---plus I didn't get to plant 18 pepper varieties, bed never got prepped & plants already had fruits on them in the open lean-to.

What I'm using (well, not yet, maybe if I figure this out!) is both a protectant but more importantly, a curative if used within 6 days. Tonight the LOW temp in Buffalo will be 75F(!) and very humid, it's around 70% now with a Heat Advisory tomorrow, and it'll be in the upper 80's until a cold front comes thru Wednesday... Humidity in the mornings are often in the mid-90's RH%.

I keep promising myself every year that next year I'm cutting back to a dozen or so...
Old August 27, 2018   #8
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

One teaspoon is 5 grams so 10 grams is 2 teaspoons, so 2 teaspoons per 10 litres or 2.64 USA gallons
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #9
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Well, I wrote all that down! Forever looking things up and sometimes getting confused. Numbers don't stick to my brain the way plant names do for years and years.

"I keep promising myself every year that next year I'm cutting back to a dozen or so..."

That's what I said last year and ended up with 33 this year. That's my mantra again this year as too many body parts are hurting.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #10
korney19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whwoz View Post
One teaspoon is 5 grams so 10 grams is 2 teaspoons, so 2 teaspoons per 10 litres or 2.64 USA gallons
Thanks, I already had the 10 grams in 2.64 gallons in post #4, but my sprayer does things its own way! I can't figure out how to set & fill the sprayer; maybe somebody can think it backwards:

If I need to spray, say, Daconil at the rate of 1 Tablespoon per gallon of water, because Daconil is thick, you add the 1TBS to 4oz of water in the sprayer and set the sprayer to 4oz, so when the sprayer sucks up 4oz, it would contain 1TBS of the fungicide; the sprayer holds 32oz so a full sprayer requires 8 Tablespoons of fungicide to the sprayer and fill the rest with water to the top using the example above. (If 1TBS per 4oz, then 8TBS per 32oz.) The sprayer gets set to 4oz. Water does NOT enter the sprayer, it only sucks OUT the mixture and meters it into the water stream.

This is where I'm drawing a blank... I can't mix the 10g in 2.64gal and add it to this sprayer without converting to either teaspoons (t), Tablespoons (T or TBS), or ounces. The fungicide is in 10g packets, so I don't have to measure anything, but I only have a couple packets. (2 or 3.)

If I need 3.7878g per gallon, and I want to make ~8 gallons, I would need 8x 3.7878g, or 30.3g of fungicide, or 3 packets. I would set the sprayer to 4oz. Does this sound correct? I thought I posted this last night but I must have fallen asleep becaue I got a token error now. Anyway, can somebody check what I'm posting sounds like correct math? Thanks.
Old August 29, 2018   #11
imp
Tomatovillian™

Possibly look up the maker of the sprayer and call them to find out how that particular sprayer works and the setting you will need for the strength you want?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29, 2018   #12
korney19

I emailed them (Ortho/Scotts/M-G)... I got multiple replies but they pretty much said they don't recommend using powders... though they had recommendations for using Miracle-Gro! They also told me they have a metric sprayer, sold in Canada... but I cannot buy it because I don't live in Canada! They did say 10 grams is equal to about 0.35 oz., also keep the Dial N Spray moving at all times as it puts out 2.1 gallons of diluted product per minute.

They said:

I apologize for the misunderstanding on our end regarding the type of product you were using. Unfortunately, we do not recommend using powder products in the Dial N Spray as they can clog the sprayer. I apologize for the inconvenience.
Below is our recommendation on how to use Miracle Gro Water Soluble Plant Food in the Dial N Spray. Unfortunately, this is the only recommendation we would be able to provide, I hope you find it helpful. If you need further information I would recommend contacting the manufacture of the product you wish to apply.
1. Set the dial on the Dial-n-Spray to 4 oz.
2. Can make up to 8 gallons of spray, add the correct amount of product to the jar for number of gallon wish to make (i.e. If dilution rate is 1 tablespoon per gallon and want to make 8 gallons put 8 tablespoons into jar)
3. Multiply 4 by number of gallons you are making and fill to that oz line (ex. Want to make 5 gallons 4x5=20, fill to 20oz line). If making 8 gallons you will fill the jar to the top line (32oz)
4. Prior to spraying, mix product around in the jar until granules are dissolved
5. Set dial to 4oz per gallon
6. Spray until jar is empty
Again, thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your interest in our products. Please feel free to contact us anytime we may be of assistance.