Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 27, 2009   #16
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

the video is almost how I do it, but still a few remarks (for the sake of improvement only, but that is only my opinion...) :
prologue : he's very agile, making two cuts with one cutting motion.
first : he has 'the gap', if you let the paper 'stick out' a little bit more over the edge, you close the gap (you don't need the gap).
second : I tend to use the open sides of the cylinder to make the fold, your 'crease' is better, and more material is 'in' the bottom of the pot making it more stable.
third : I could try the fold on top, not really necessary and my version would be a little bit wider, I can imagine how you unfold this fold when you put your hand in and out the pot filling it up.

if by now you're still buying pots, we give up ;-)

and thanks for that ink demythification ami ;-) But even when you have newspapers from the 1800's that you want to make pots from : anyone who has refilled printer cartridges knows how little vaporised ink you need to make quite a mess so you're probably bringing more heavy metals to your garden on the base of your shoes than through those newspapers. A zillion airplanes come over our houses each day polluting our gardens, ... not buying new pots is the best thing you can do... and 'you can do it'.

Peter
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28, 2009   #17
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

this guy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gGnKgvbURs is doing it exactly the way I would do it, and his watching MY blog while doing it, man I am a fan already ;-)

Peter

Last edited by the999bbq; March 28, 2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old March 28, 2009   #18
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Well, well, well! Isn't it nice, Peter; that he's a fan of yours!
You can't help but get teary-eyed about some thing like that.
Could you please post a link to your blog?

I don't have a blog right now, my ex knew my password and spammed it. So I had the main service provider remove it.

~* Robin
Old March 28, 2009   #19
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

that 'he' might of course be 'me, myself and I' ... isn't it the perfect time of year to be a just a little bit narcistic before we go tiptoeing through our tulips again ;-)

http://the666bbq.blogspot.com (no devilworshipping involved I promise, what you might see as Beëlzebubbish is just dutch ;-) but there is translation 'on board' although the translated version usually is a lot more like those reverse backwards hidden messages ... but hey, tomatoes is the first you see when you enter, so how bad can it be ;-) )
(btw the999bbq was considered more appropriate as tomatovillian, and that assimilation was the least I could do to receive full citizenship)
Old March 28, 2009   #20
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Peter, what language are you blogging in? Dutch or German? I need Babel Fish to translate.

~* Robin
Old March 29, 2009   #21
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

dutch, flemmish actually - like you have US English and UK English, you have belgian dutch and netherlands Dutch; some words are interpreted a bit different but 98% is the same... but none of the translators will offer flemmish I think ;-)
Old March 29, 2009   #22
Polar_Lace
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I see that you're right about the translation. But in learning to read and speak in English, it was quite baffling to me.
Even speaking in Spanish is different. I had to learn the street Lingo in American Latino language, before I could translate it to English, so it was kind of backwards for me too.
Even the Mexican Language is slightly different down here. When I hear a Mexican person talking, I think that it sounds a little weird, because Spanish from Spain is a little more formal.
And Puerto Rican people sound a little different too. So, I had to learn what is said to be in "different dialects" also; to learn what was meant to be said in American English.

Yet I was born, here in the USA, in Manhattan, New York to a USA born mother. And I had to learn American English when I started to go to school !!
That was a hard and interesting experience!!
Everything I had learned in my first five years was in Spanish! So nothing is really backwards to me!!

~* Robin