Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old August 15, 2011   #61
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Carmen's

This plant just put out a lot of fat Roma shaped tomatoes all at once. These are the two largest at 25.9 and 12.8 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carmen.jpg (185.1 KB, 50 views)
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2011   #62
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default Mayo's Delight

Just picked this one today- it's the first one from this plant which was planted in mid-June. It weighs 33.1 oz.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mayo's Delight.jpg (178.6 KB, 47 views)
Old August 16, 2011   #63
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Mark,

The harvest is HUGE. As I've said before, I dislike reviewing because I don't want to discourage anyone from trying a variety and I don't really like very many. I also have shared my absolute faves and found that others have found them to be spitters. I take only the briefest notes about tasting results, sometimes just an up or down arrow, and trying this many varieties results in my quickly forgetting most of what was tasted the day before.

That being said, Goldman's Italian American (tasted twice) was weirdly sweet and not in a good way for me. DH agreed. Haven't used it in cooking as yet.

Emma Pink was mealy at first; the next one was less so and had a nice taste- maybe a bit too acidic for me at the end. DH said it was just ok. This one may improve with time.

Blue Ridge Mountain was ok but a week behind many others planted at the same time. Two tomatoes so far, both over a pound. My notes say, "Not worth the wait."

Kalman's Hungarian Pink- really niced sized fruits, 4 so far- DH likes this one- I can't remember it.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful on this one.

Kath
Kath,

This is definitely helpful. I usually look at opinions of several people to see if there a tomatoes that stand out as really good or not so good. In any event, I will try a tomato if most people say it isn't very good if it has enough appeal to me.

I just tasted my first Blue Ridge Mountain the past couple of days. I thought it was pretty good, but I'll have to see how the rest of them taste. With the crazy weather we have had this year, it is really difficult to determine what impact the weather has had on the taste of the tomatoes.
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #64
Tania
Tomatovillian™

Kath,

What an awesome harvest you are having! Thank you for posting the pictures and for your reviews, I enjoyed reading this thread.

Tania

Tatiana's TOMATObase
Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #65
Heritage
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Steve-

Seems this must be a cross since Brandysweet Plum is described as a small cherry. The fruits from my plant range from 1.8 to 7.5 oz. to date.

Kath
ah, maybe just as well... a Brandysweet Plum that large would have been too much sweetness for any one person to handle

Steve
Heritage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2011   #66
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Kath,

This is definitely helpful. I usually look at opinions of several people to see if there a tomatoes that stand out as really good or not so good. In any event, I will try a tomato if most people say it isn't very good if it has enough appeal to me.

I just tasted my first Blue Ridge Mountain the past couple of days. I thought it was pretty good, but I'll have to see how the rest of them taste. With the crazy weather we have had this year, it is really difficult to determine what impact the weather has had on the taste of the tomatoes.
Mark,

Even though this is only my second year of growing lots of varieties, I'm seeing how the descriptions and opinions of others can be very different from your own experience. Getting lots of opinions can help, but so many factors can influence the taste of a tomato and your own perception of it.

The weather here lately has been good for promoting foliage disease but bad for ripening fruits. I'm not sure that I'll be getting a very accurate impression of the real potential of the later planted and later ripening varieties as a result. Tomatoes are splitting badly and the foliage is a mess. My only hope is that things dry up a bit so I can prune and spray and that new foliage is able to keep some of the plants alive into late summer and fall.

Hope you find some that you like enough to bring back for another try.
Old August 16, 2011   #67
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
Kath,

What an awesome harvest you are having! Thank you for posting the pictures and for your reviews, I enjoyed reading this thread.

Tania
Tania,

I'm glad you enjoyed looking- and agree that I've really had a great harvest so far, but it looks like things might wind down pretty quickly this year. With guests keeping me out of the garden most of the last week and then getting hit with lots of rain, things aren't looking too good in the tomato patch.

I've managed to save seed from lots of varieties so far, though- let me know if there are any that you'd like to try next year in addition to the ones on your list.

Kath
Old August 16, 2011   #68
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage View Post
ah, maybe just as well... a Brandysweet Plum that large would have been too much sweetness for any one person to handle

Steve
Guess I'd still like to taste the real Brandysweet Plum- this one hasn't been all that sweet and it had a rather thick and distinctly bitter tasting skin. It also developed those annoying white spots in the outer walls of the fruits very early in the season.
Old August 17, 2011   #69
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default 8/17

So these seemed ripe enough for it to be their "picture day" and I'm really procrastinating about beginning the sauce making project that really must happen today. Most of these are from the late planting that I did on 6/13.

So in the first pic, top row: Olena Ukrainian (26.2 oz), Lennie & Gracie's Kentucky Heirloom, Angelo's Red (19.9 oz)
Middle: Mary Reynolds, Gildo Pietroboni (20.4 oz), Giant Sicilian Paste
Bottom: Val's Red Nibbler, Tennessee Persimmon

Second pic, top: Mazarini (26.8 oz), Novikov's Giant, Linnie's Oxheart (17.6 oz)
Bottom: Rose de Eauze, Orange Bull's Heart, Gus' Heart
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0509.jpg (173.2 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0512.jpg (172.2 KB, 64 views)
Old August 17, 2011   #70
indo
Tomatovillian™

I love the large off shaped tomatoes, nice pics
indo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #71
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

So, Kathy - how about a picture of your dining room table or wherever you're collecting the mother lode? I assume you'll need a wide-angle lens.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2011   #72
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
So, Kathy - how about a picture of your dining room table or wherever you're collecting the mother lode? I assume you'll need a wide-angle lens.
Ha! We'll see.

I picked all the rows clean on Monday in the torrential downpour and spent today putting all the older, riper hearts and plum types through the food mill. Didn't even get to can them yet. It got up to 92 degrees today, so I'll check and see if any need to be picked tomorrow. At this point, I only keep the ones we haven't tasted, photographed or decided on yet or the ones I'm using for canning/drying. The others are distributed asap. But there aren't nearly as many as there were one to two weeks ago.

Our nights are a lot cooler now and many of the plants that were set out in May don't have much left on them- every one of them has at least one disease, so I'm going to mark the plants I'd like pulled out tomorrow as DH has volunteered to get rid of them for me. The June planted varieties are beginning to ripen now but I'm not sure how long they'll last because they're disease ridden, too.

Kath
Old August 18, 2011   #73
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

Do you think the single-vine training has contributed to the big fruit you've gotten on some varieties? My upper limit seems to be about 24 oz.on completely unpruned vines. Just picked FH Monster - a big yellow on this plant - and look forward to tasting today.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2011   #74
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortyonenorth View Post
Do you think the single-vine training has contributed to the big fruit you've gotten on some varieties? My upper limit seems to be about 24 oz.on completely unpruned vines. Just picked FH Monster - a big yellow on this plant - and look forward to tasting today.
I'm sure it doesn't hurt but most of the varieties I grew last year were pruned as much as this year and didn't produce anything bigger than about a pound and a half.

The FH Monster yellow version that I have only produced a couple fruits- both huge. The taste was just ok for me & a thumbs down for DH. Let me know what you think.

Kath
Old August 18, 2011   #75
kath
Tomatovillian™

Default 8/18

So here's a pic of the kitchen and porch tables AFTER yesterday's all day marathon with a Victorio food mill. Fruits are looking cracked and ugly and there's lots more rain in our immediate future. As soon as it's dry enough, we'll be pulling lots of icky plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0513.jpg (170.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0523.jpg (202.0 KB, 88 views)